Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was invited on a feral hog hunt on my friend's farm just south of Columbus, Texas. I chose to take my Marlin 336SS-Ltd in .35 Remington as it had not been blooded yet. I also had a handload with a Speer 180gr FN @ 2375 fps that had not been tried in the hunting field either. The gun is fitted with a Leupold 1-4X20 VX2 in Talley rings.

I was headed down the trail toward the stand and feeder when I heard the warning of a boar about 20 yards east of me. This told me they were indeed in there. The brush is almost impenetrable along here, so I proceeded toward the feeder and stand. About 50 yards out I saw a large dark object in the failing light, but concluded it was a small youpon bush. But after another 10 steps the sow lifted and turned her head enough for me to see an ear. She was quartering away from me, so the Speer 180gr hit her high in the hip, also damaging the spine. She dropped on the spot and expired soon after. She weighed around 175-180 lbs. The gun, scope, and load functioned perfectly.

We field dressed her, iced down the meat, and called it a night. Looking forward to barbeque ribs soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Sounds like about as good a day as a person can have.
Its nice to hear about when things go well.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
Congrats on a good hunt. The .35 will do it every time!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The .35 will do it every time!
I believe it after seeing it with my own eyes. I love the .35s. I'm building a .35 Whelen bolt gun now.

·
Registered
7,852 Posts

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
To quote buddy, "The 35 Remmie should win an Emmie."
The 35 Remington is one of my favorite hunting rifles.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
.35 Remington is all my dad will use. He's used others but always goes back to the .35 Remington and his 200gr Core-Lokts. Although, he uses a Model 760 pump. He does have a 336 loaner in .35 Remington, though, and I've used it plenty :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just got a 1955 made 336 in 35 Rem, it has the cut rifling. The old gun looks like it was packed more than shot and I'm anxiously awaiting a 220gr mold. We're having a feral hog problem in SE Ohio, and I'd like to help out!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Photos attached to first post.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
YOU BETTER NOT EAT THAT!!!!!!

Place all those ribs and roasts [preferably in dry ice], and PM me.

i will send you an address where you can send the pork [to me] for proper BBQ'ing.....er....I mean testing.

The bones will be returned, COD, with the results...:p

Nice pig!

enjoy it!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,686 Posts
Oink!!!! :eek:

Yup, I can give expert testimony that you have a very dead pig there. Great job!!!

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Mine has yet to bring home pork.....

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
You have a problem N-2-L. You have to change your handle. You are not a newbbie any more. Congrats on the pig. That 35 is hard to beat as a game getter.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
I have a grown up 35 Remington, it hasn't been bloodied yet though. I've been eyeing a Remington 141 in .35 Remington, as I don't have a pump action rifle yet.

Nice hog!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
35 Remington is a KEEPER!

I bought a used Remington 141 when I was stationed at Wurtsmuth AF Base, Michigan (closed in '93) back in the '70s. This was an older slide action that went out of production more than 50 years ago. I killed three bucks with 3 shots. No trailing involved because in each case the animal went down FAST.

I once went after moose in northern Saskatchewan, Canada with a Cree guide. I killed a decent bull with my .308 carbine. My guide showed me his rifle for moose, caribou, bear : an antique Remington auto-loader in 35 Remington. His rifle has killed hundreds of animals and was still getting the job done!

I heard that your model has recoil reducing ports near the muzzle. How is the muzzle blast?

TR

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
About 10 years ago, I bought my 336RC in .35rem with a straight stock from a friend who needed cash to pay medical bills in a big way. I shot the gun for many years, and reloaded for it, but never hunted it.
The very same friend moved to PA. this April, and purchased a very big farm in NW PA. When he moved, I gifted him back the very same RC, to which he was very taken, and vowed to make it his go-to-gun.

To date he's taken many game with it, from chucks in the field to a few deer that were eating crops.

I've been without a .35 since...:(

Today, while perusing a local garage sale, I came across and bought another .35Rem 336RC, with a perch belly forend, and pistol grip stock for $150.00
It's in great shape, and while the bluing is worn and it needs a sight elevator, it's a beauty of a gun! Dates to 1953!

I'll post a pic or two in a spell, but just wanted to share my story. Hopefully, it'll take a big NH buck this year.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Nice find Chris! I'm still longing for a companion to my .350 Rem Mag.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,467 Posts
Here she is! I'd rate the gun at about 85%, bluing missing from the receiver where it was carried by the previous owner. It was his only hunting rifle.

I feel I did ok. Cleaned all the brass I have for the .35 last night, hope to reload some today if time permits, and get to the range with it next weekend.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Have you checked to see what year it is yet? (Maybe I missed that in this thread).

I sure like those older ones without the new checkered stock and foreend.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts