Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently loaded up 40 rounds of 35 Rem with 220 gr, flat nose, cast lead, gas checked bullets over 28 grains of 2230 and crimped into the cannelure. The rounds would not chamber as the bullets jammed into the rifling (marlin 336).
I re-set the bullets deeper to where they would chamber OAL is now 2.277"
Is there a problem with this being too short an OAL? Powder is not compressed but cartridge volume is way reduced with all that bullet in there. I've had no problems with jacketed 200 gr round nose bullets in this rifle.

·
Banned
397 Posts
Rmaisonp,
Buy yourself a Stony Point O.A.L. gauge. You will need the off-set one
for lever actions. That way you can take your bullet and find out what length it is
at when it hits the rifling. You can then seat the bullet properly. The gauge doesn't
cost a lot and is worth the money.

Zeke

·
Registered
140 Posts
Pressure will definitely increase but how much is the question. If you are close to max I would reduce the load and work my way up to 28gns. If the load is a starting load it should be, OK. Why load 40 rounds before trying one? I always load one and try it in the gun. Then I work my way up to the charge I want shooting 2 rounds at each powder charge. It is safer and I don't like pulling bullets.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,732 Posts
What was the difference between the two OALs and were you using data for SAAMI-spec loads, or going a bit over?

With the difference in the OALs and the length of the bullet, a program like Quickload can offer a prediction of the relative difference. That is, it may not be perfectly accurate with the peak pressures, but the differences in the peak pressures should be pretty close. It would give you confidence that your difference would be a certain additional PSI. Up to you to decide if that is acceptable.

It could also predict how much you would need to drop the load to keep the same peak pressure.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,732 Posts
I re-read your post and it's only 28 grains of Accurate 2230? Just want to confirm before replying, if so, that is a very light load to begin with. I don't see how you could create pressure problems. Might not burn very clean but if it works for you.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts