Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, now we know how everyone feels about reboring vs. rebarreling. This weekend I found a 7600 in .35 Rem. The man at the store (never been to this store before) said it was 1 of only 200 made.  Now, I am taking this to mean it is a limited run Remington did (or is doing) this year. It was your basic blued/synthetic stock carbine 18 1/2" barrel. Now for the question: Comparing the 2 rounds side by side it looked to me that a .358 Win reamer would clean up the old chamber, but will it? I don't want to go all the way to a Whelen in a carbine, but the .358 Sounds good with less layout of cash.

If the chamber won't clean up then I will go back to the original plan of reboring.

Also, if anyone has seen one of these in a store near you what was the price on it? This guy had &#36495 on it. That seems awful high to me because all around here the normal chambering blued/Synthetics go for &#36399-&#36429. I don't know if this store is just outrageous or if they figure a limited run deserves a higher price. Thanks, Sean

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
LoneEagle,

This is one which will work, but there are two things you will need.  One is easy, a .243/.308/.358 magazine.  The second may be a little more difficult since it is a restricted item, that is a bolt. Remington may have used the standard head (.473 nominal) but I doubt it.  The .35 Rem. is nominally .457 and usually smaller.  A standard bolt would most likely cause serious extraction problems and this is why I am sure the .35 Rem. will have a bolt head particularly suited to that cartridge which will not work with the .358.

Other than the above, it is just the same as any other question involving shooting toys, it's just money!  Enjoy.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,229 Posts
I have read that, in "many" cases, the .35 Rem bolt face will accept a standard .308 or .30-06 case head.  Guess the tolerances can be a little sloppy?

Right off the top of my head, I can't remember who wrote this or how accurate it may be.  Regardless, it may be worth checking out, as this could either save money or add to the expense.

Oh and yeah, a .358 Win reamer should clean a .35 Rem chamber right up.

·
Banned
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay the bolt may be the problem, but the magazine that was in the gun had stamped on the side "243, 260, 7mm-08, 308, 35 Rem". So that is no problem. Thanks for the help. Sean

·
Registered
254 Posts
Lone eagle, youmight call Grice Gun Shop in Pennsylvania for pricing guidelines. They are the party that gets these carbines built by Remington as I understand. They can be reached at 814-765-9273. A little +p loading for the old 35rem might shine from that carbine barrel. Paco Kelly at www.sixgunner.com/ loves the 35 and I believe there's some data in the back issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts