Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone loading Beartooth bullets for the 35 rem.? I have a '68 Marlin that I would like to MAYBE reload with these bullets. I just don't have the knowledge, equipment or location to do extensive testing. Or should I stick with the new Hornady ammo? The 35 will be used for deer 99% of the time and with black bear if I get lucky but it will be my secondary black bear rifle after the 444.

They have a great write up here on the 444 which I will use to develop a round for my rifle. By the way, thanks for saving me alot of money, time and possibly me selling my 444. You have earned a customer so I will be spending some money for your troubles.

Thanks

Tony

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,268 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Check out the Loadswap section at the top of the forum for some good load recommendations. I too am a big fan of the 35 Rem and the 444 Marlin. My favorite 35 Rem load is the good old 200 gr Remington Corelock and for my 444 I use the Hornady 265 gr JSP.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I love the .35 Remmy! I shoot a Marlin 336 and it's devestating on deer out to 150 yards. I have always reloaded with the 180g Speer Hot Core bullets. They just shoot very accurate in my gun. I've never been able to keep under a 4" group with the 200g core lokts but the speer bullets shoot under an inch at 100 yards. As for the new hornaday ammo, I haven't shot it because my current load does so well and is so cheap to reload I wouldn't consider buying factory ammo. Now shooting the new bullets as reloads? I'll have to experiment with that some day when I've got a hankerin'. My advice? Try everything and see what shoots best in your rifle for you. Every gun is different. I would suggest you try the speer bullets though. I have seen them shoot well in many Marlins. It performs well and is worth trying.

·
Registered
7,872 Posts
Tony, when MikeG sees this and weighs in, he may have some good advice about the Beartooth cast bullets. Not to disregard the good information on the core lokts, but just speaking about cast bullets. Mike gave a good recommendation to me about cast, picking the right weight and correct size, but I didn;t follow-up right away and now I've forgotten it. I do remember the Beartooth cast get very high praise.

I reload and shoot the Hornady 200grn roundnose and Flex Tips, but I really should get into cast bullets, if for nothing more than to save some money!

Very nice shooting, Curiousgb! Is that a 5-shot group?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the responses. I will try the Remingtons and finish off the Hornadys just to get better acquainted with my rifle before I really get into the reloading. I can't locate the Hornady 265 rn and haven't had much luck with in stock Speer bullets. I guess I am behind the curve since Hornady quit making the 265s and everyone appears to be scrambling to find a suitable replacement. I just figured that they can make as many cast as I would like and I wouldn't get stuck with a bullet that shoots good but gets discontinued. Thanks again.

Tony

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
Anyone loading Beartooth bullets for the 35 rem.? I have a '68 Marlin that I would like to MAYBE reload with these bullets.

Tony
Tony, try a box of the 210gr bullets. They will work fine in a smooth barrel at 1500fps or so, can't say anything about faster, as I like them as a moderate recoil practice bullet, and only load to that limit.

The Microgroove barrels have mixed luck, apparently, as some say that they work fine, others not. My Marlin is an older model, and it shoots even non-CG bullets fine, as long as speeds are moderate. I use Trail Boss for those.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,668 Posts
Anyone loading Beartooth bullets for the 35 rem.? I have a '68 Marlin that I would like to MAYBE reload with these bullets. I just don't have the knowledge, equipment or location to do extensive testing. Or should I stick with the new Hornady ammo? The 35 will be used for deer 99% of the time and with black bear if I get lucky but it will be my secondary black bear rifle after the 444.

They have a great write up here on the 444 which I will use to develop a round for my rifle. By the way, thanks for saving me alot of money, time and possibly me selling my 444. You have earned a customer so I will be spending some money for your troubles.

Thanks

Tony
Yes. There are two cast bullets I have used with good results in the .35 Rem. One is the Beartooth 185 (or 180?) gr. "+p" HANDGUN bullet. Order it sized .360" and remember, it's listed as a handgun bullet. The "+p" designation is the right one for a Marlin .35 Rem.

The other is the RCBS 205 (?) gr. FNGC if you cast your own.

Seat either of them to touch the rifling when the lever closes. The only powder I've used is Varget and it's difficult to cram too much in. RP brass has the most capacity.

Crimp at whatever length it ends up with using a Lee Factory Crimp die. Should kill like poison, and accurate enough that I've hit a **** at 150 yards.

There is nothing wrong with the Rem 200gr. bullet and if you want to shoot jacketed, it is the way to go. Used a few of those with good results also.

Have fun.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Form everything I have been reading the 35 Rem doesn't seem near as picky or needing of reloading as the 444 so for now I think I am going to reload the 444 and stick to factory fodder for the 35. Neither caliber is a plinker so I shouldn't have to worry about the cost of factory. I have my 1894C 357 for plinking and varmits.

Thanks Tony

·
Registered
863 Posts
700sage: "..180g Speer Hot Core ..shoot very accurate in my gun. I've never been able to keep under a 4" group with the 200g core lokts but the speer bullets shoot under an inch at 100 yards."

Glad you learned that, what I learned is exactly the opposite! Only proving we all need to test a few bullets to find what our rifles actually prefer.

My 100 yd. 2050 fps loads of 39/4064-200 RNCL groups mirror Mr. Curious', about .5" wide by 1.25" high. I MIGHT could decrease that a little more but what for? Dead deer wouldn't know the difference if they all went into a single hole! :)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,668 Posts
I got better groups with the 200gr. Rem bullet than the Speer, as well. You just never know?

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I've never been able to keep under a 4" group with the 200g core lokts but the speer bullets shoot under an inch at 100 yards.
I'm pretty sure the most accurate .35 Remington's ever made were the 760 Pumps, but 336's are real close, and with a scope the vast majority will easily turn in 2" @ 100yds, quite a few will do even better.

What I have found over many years, is that the 336's in every caliber made will often respond to tension adjustments on the barrel band. I have encountered a couple that were so tight I needed to place the barrel in a padded vice, and use a cordless with a close fitting bit to loosen them up. Allowing the magazine tube to self align seems to help in many cases.

Bullets? Speer FP's have always shot well from any rifle I fed them to, and I've never had a problem getting 200gr Sierra or Hornady RN's to shoot well either. The only powders I've ever used are BL-C2, W748 and IMR 4895, because I always have a supply of those, and one shoots as well as the others.

But handloading for the 35Rem is definately worth the effort.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts