Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm considering purchasing a 336 in either 30-30 or 35 Remington. I'm not an avid big game hunter or anything but I would like to have a medium power rifle for self defense purposes to go along with my Glock 23. I know 30-30 ammo is EVERYWHERE, but my question is whether or not 35 Remington (200gr. CoreLokt) is still being mass produced? I would like the heavier bullet or is the 30-30 enough for SD in your opinion?

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
I'd buy the .30-30, as ammo will be esasier to obtain & much cheaper. Nothing wrong with the .35 Remington but it is not found everywhere and personally I think, since it's rimless, it is better suited for a bolt action or semi-auto.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
.35 may be harder to find in some places, but it is being produced -- and the local Walmart here has it right next to the .30-30.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
If you won't be hunting with it and just want a general-purpose rifle, the 30/30 is the hands-down choice...between these two.

With that being said, neither is a particularly good choice for home defense. There are better options available in semi-auto 223, or even pistol-chambered carbines, that will cost about the same and still offer ready supplies of ammunition. Short of having your wagon train surrounded by a war party of Comanche, the lever-action hasn't been the best choice in home defense for a long time.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,124 Posts
Yeah I think either rifle is a bit much for home defense. Depends where you live I suppose.

The .35 Rem is my favorite in a lever gun... but I use it for hunting. Superb field performance from the Rem factory 200gr. load, and it never misfeeds or has any issues that I can find. We have ammo in the stores for it here in Texas.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Since you've narrowed your search pretty much & already know what rifle you'd like to have, I'd agree that the 30/30 is the better choice for your needs. Nothing at all wrong with your choice and depending on your circumstances, it could be as good as it gets. For the record, I'd prefer the .35 to the 30/30 for hunting every day of the week & twice on Sundays. But for your needs, the venerable, plentiful and easy to find 30/30 in a lever rifle is a great choice.

Good luck!

·
Registered
145 Posts
For serious home self defense, nothing beats a good pump shotgun -- plenty of kill for the bad guy but it won't go thru every wall in your house and injure innocents like a 30-30 round could.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
I agree. For home defense, the shotgun cannot be beat. Loaded with slugs, buckshot, or even heavy game like 4's or 6's (IF that was all you had), and no intruder would live to harm your family.

If you wanted a dual-purpose rifle in one of those 2 calibers, for home defense and hunting too, my choice would be the .35 Rem. Why? Because I like it and have one ((:)D))). It does have a little more velocity and energy than the 30-30, but I still have to agree that there are more 30-30's out there. If a store didn;t carry .35Rem, it would almost certainly have 30-30 ammo.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
If you won't be hunting with it and just want a general-purpose rifle, the 30/30 is the hands-down choice...between these two.
My thought.

The .30-30 has less recoil, and ammo is universally available. It's even available in Managed Recoil level loads which would make a better home defense load, if you don't reload your own. On the average, .35 Remington runs about $10/bx more.

Used .30-30's in good to NIB shape can be had most of the time. It's hard to wear them out, and there are many in service that have seen regular use since before anyone on this forum were even born.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Locally, .35 sells for the same price as .30-30. As to recoil, I would say that the 200 gr. .35 Corelokt load recoils no more than, and maybe a bit less than, the .30-30 170 gr. Corelokt load -- a bit more of a "shove" than a "jolt".

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
No one said home defense. The OP said "medium power rifle for self defense". He likes the 336 or he would never have mentioned it. I think we should be able to read between the lines and see what he wants. :rolleyes: The 336 in 30/30 is as good as it gets for someone wanting this type of gun.

And it ain't a black rifle in "A", "B" or "C" cartridge. I'd suppose this is cost driven. In my opinion, he has a very good grasp on what would work VERY well for his wants & needs.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Locally, .35 sells for the same price as .30-30. As to recoil, I would say that the 200 gr. .35 Corelokt load recoils no more than, and maybe a bit less than, the .30-30 170 gr. Corelokt load -- a bit more of a "shove" than a "jolt".

The 30-30 sells for less in these parts 35Rem isn't hard to find, and yes, the 35 kicks less with full house 200grn reloads than anything out of my 30-30 as far as I'm concerned!

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
I've shot a fair number of Marlins in both calibers, the difference is microscopic between the two with a 200gr/170gr comparison, in rifles of equal weight, and barely noticable in a 200gr/150gr set. My 110lb daughter thinks the .30-30 is mild, although hers is cut to 12.25" LOP with a 1/2" Decelerator pad.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

The OP didn't say anything about home defense he ask about self defense. I don't know where he lives, but in my area one does not go into the forest without a means of self defense. Wolves, bears, cougars, big foot, and other harmful critters are out there. The 336 is an ideal sidekick for that purpose and the 35 Remington is an ideal caliber. What does cost of ammo have to do with it? If a bear is about to have you for lunch are you going to worry about the cost of ammo? The 30-30 and 35 are very close in performance but I think the 35 has a slight edge.

·
Banned
241 Posts
Regardless of price, I think the Leverevolution 35 is superior. It also usually sells for less money...Thanks Hornady.

I use LeverE exclusive in my 22" Handi-Rifle with a Ballistic Plex scope. I use 200 grain regulars in my walnut version which I added ghost rings to. It does very well on hogs and such.

I use Buffalo Bore 220's and LeverE in my laminate version but I haven't faced a situation where any bullet kills quicker than the Hornady. Maybe the BB would work better on large critters.

If I didn't have an abundance of regular ammo (3000 rounds plus), I'd shoot the leverE and nuthin else.

Let me tell y'all about bears eating you for lunch or snakes for that matter. Some places like national land will put your *** in jail for killing wildlife. Pepper spray is more effective than the rifle and a machete kills snakes more quietly.

There ain't nuthing wrong with a 30-30 or a 20 gauge slug either. You will be suprised where you can go with a pistol grip 20 gauge slung over the shoulder in a cylindrical container.

·
Registered
1 Posts
336 for home defense

From what I have read and seen, it is a very good home defense weapon.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifles_home_defense.htm

" The lever action Marlin Model 336 and Winchester Model 94 are traditional home defense rifles. They are most commonly seen with 20" barrels in powerful calibers such as .30-30, .32 Special, .35 Remington, and .38-55 that offer very serious stopping power. These tubular magazine fed rifles are loaded via a port in the right side of the receiver and cartridges can be replaced as they are fired without taking the rifle out of action. Such rifles can keep firing as long as you have ammunition on hand, as they have proven in sieges lasting for days."

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5A6Ot1zJDY&feature=related

BH

·
Registered
2 Posts
336 Marlin for self defense

The 35 gets my pick for self defense. It's a bit more powerful and ammo can be found just about anywhere (not quite as universal as the 30-30).

Nothing wrong with the 30-30. Great to see your choice is a lever-action as well. It's all about what we feel comfortable with. A big heavy bullet is just the ticket from Bears to 2-legged monsters.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think the 336 is a good choice.I like the 35 Rem but I hand load and can get more out of the 35 than most factory ammo in my rifle. I use the 180 Gr Speer at just over 2300 fps as my pet load.

If you do not hand load I would think you would have more options with the 30-30. I find 35 Rem at a lot of places but cannot recall any time I saw ammo for sale that did not have 30-30 in stock.

Kevin

1 - 20 of 23 Posts