Shooters Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all

Killed a coyote today with my Marlin 35 Remington. After a very brief post-mortem I began to wonder if a coyote offers enought resistence for the 35 Remington factory loaded 200 grain corelock bullet to expand?

The first shot hit about 1 1/2" to 2" behind the shoulder and very little reaction was initially shown. Should have been a killing shot. The next one was center mass while the 'yote was in high gear, a yelp and nip and resumption of course! Third shot was quartering away through the rear hip forward and finally anchored it in one place. Head shot finished the matter. Range was about 55 yards.

This was my first coyote. Are they generally bullet proof? Was this super 'yote, or do they require another approach or bullet to make a quicker kill. I wonder if the Corelock preformed like a FMJ? That 'yote took 800 grains of lead and jacket before cashing in!

Wondering in Carolina,

Reb

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,226 Posts
Only critter that I have shot with my .35 Rem was a small (~25 lb.) pig at short range with the factory 200gr. Cor-Lokt load.

Expansion was quite evident, and the results, decisive. Did you cut into the chest cavity to see what happened? Once in a while you get a critter that just won't quit, especially if alarmed. I shot a coyote once with a 165gr. Partition from my .30-06 at short range and it took off and I never found it.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Reb:
The Core-Lokt opens faster than any other .35 Remington bullet, based on my wet-pack tests, but coyotes are pretty light. Your bullet may not have expanded enough. A couple of the young fellows here hunt coyotes with .223s and say they'll go a long ways with a poor hit. I shot a fox and a racoon with 180 Speers and both of them made it into the bush. Shot a fox though the lungs with a .303 once and it went a quarter mile.

On the other hand I shot a skunk, as Mike remembers :) , with a 158 gr. Remington SJHP ahead of a case full of 3031 and completely shredded it. Only trouble is, they don't hit anywhere near where the Core-Lokts do. I've got a bag of 180 gr. Remington SJHPs to try, but so many guns, so little time.

Bye
Jack

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Maybe that is the reason for the old 150 gr loading in the 35 Rem.

An interesting experiment would be to try a sturdy 158 gr Flat Point like the Hornady XTP Flat Point bullet. It's rated to 1800 or 1900+ velocity.

Maybe the ticket for Coyote sized game.

The factory loading can be anemic. Maybe that with the small frame of the animal caused little to no expansion with the bullet just sailing through.

Regards

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Thank you Jack. An oldie but a goody thread. Good info.

With your testing of the FP XTP 158, would you consider it adequate for the smaller frame of a Coyote?

Regards

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Contender:
I don't think so, but I need some coyotes to co-operate to be sure. Problem is, every time they give me a midnight serenade, the young fellow across the road beats me to them.

I should test the 180 Remingtons for accuracy and get a box of Hornady 180 XTP/HPs. IIRC, Mr. Gates said both of them worked on hogs at .357 velocities, so I think they'd be OK on coyotes and other medium sized varmints in the .35 Remington.

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Jack and Contender,

I have loaded some 158 gr JHPs in my 356 Winchester and all that I have ever recoverd has been empty jacket with the occassional fleck of lead attached! They perform like a varmit bullet out of the 356. But then they are moving around 2400 to 2500 fps. Might need to try them in the 35 Rem. if I make up a "varmit" load for it. The speer manual warns that their 158 JHP should not be used on any animal larger than a coyote in the 356, but I don't know if it says the same for the 35 Rem. My Lyman manual does't even list pistol bullets for the 35.

Thing was, we were deer hunting so I had to be loaded for that! I was under orders to "terminate with extreme prejudice" any coyotes that presented a target of opportunity! However messily, mission accomplished!

While I like to make sure that any animal I hunt is given a clean and quick death, I may be willing to make an exception for 'yotes. Dead sooner or dead later, so long as they are dead! Even with the four shots, this one didn't last 30 seconds from the first shot to the last.

Reb

·
36,226 Posts
Reb -

A suggestion, tyr this at the range first before you hunt with it:

File a (bigger) flat on the nose of a couple of bullets and see if you get any significant departure from your current zero.

If ok for zero, the flat on the nose should help increase the wound channel even if the bullet fails to expand. And if you don't get too carried away, shouldn't hurt on the deer either. Just a stroke or two with the file.

Jack, yes I sure do remember the skunk story! I've known a few other people to have misadventures with them also.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, Mike:
As you may remember, the skunk was 40 yards away, downwind! Seems that I remember that you didn't want to get within .22-250 range of one :D

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
61 Posts
Going back a ways, right after I got out of the service in late 1962 I had just one rifle, a .35 Marlin. I loaded a bunch of Hornady .357 hollow-points for that rifle and killed woodchucks with it for two summers before I could afford a 'real' varmint rifle. I only had a Lee 'tap-it' reloading kit, and have no idea what the velocity was with the powder I used, but with a Williams peep sight and no resighting from the 200-grain deer load, the rifle would hit 'chucks out to 100-125 yards reliably. I hunted over some narrow pastures then, so this was ok. One red fox also fell to these loads...only went about 50 feet after one sailed through his chest. Woodchucks were turned inside out.
I now have a Super14 barrel for my Contender in this caliber, and keep a few pistol bullet loads on hand for old time's sake. We have some big (45-65 lb) coyotes up here in Maine now, and the .35 with 158-170 grain pistol bullets at 2000 fps and up would do fine for those, seems to me. (Got one two years ago with a .410 from the Contender, at close range.)

·
Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all,

I was talking with my hunting buddy today and he reminded me of a coyote that his nephew shot earlier this year.

His nephew had borrowed his 45/70 Remington Rolling Block to go deer hunting (he got one with it before this). Loaded with his handloads using a 350 grain bullet at a slightly warmed velocity. While deer hunting he wacked a coyote with it and knocked it off of it's feet. It quickly got back up and started back out the far end of the field where his hunting partner was. His partner shot it also with a 7MM MAGNUM and bits of 'yote were seen to fly off at the impact of the bullet. The coyote proceeded to exit the field and no corpse was ever found!

My hunting buddy also shot one with his 12 ga. and 00 buck at close range. He found hair, blood, bits of bone and flesh but no 'yote! He tracked it for a cosiderable distance before giving up.

These must be really tough animals, much more so than I would ever have given them credit for! I don't feels so bad for shooting mine 4 times. By the way, when I asked my hunting partner how long I took from 1st shot to the last he said about 10 seconds or so! WOW! It seemed much longer to me! That old Marlin sure can shuck'em and shoot'em quick!

Reb

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Friends All....I was just roaming around the forum and came across this run. A couple a years ago we discussed the problem of bullets not expanding in the .35 Remington. The .35 is very popular in the swamps and heavy cover here in Florida. Hornady promised that the new 200 gr., with the cuts in the jacket would work....they don't! Jack is absolutely correct...use the tried and true Rem. 200 gr.CL
I have one hunter friend that uses nothing in his Rem.141 but BTB .358" hard cast and RE7. He stacks up the deer and hogs, so who can argue the point?
At the velocities he runs, even the hard cast yields.
James C. Gates

·
Registered
71 Posts
Coyote Bullet for .35 Remington

I used the Remington 180-gr. SJHP bullets for the .357 Magnum with great success on feral dogs in the .35 Whelen at about 2200 f.p.s. Above about 2000 f.p.s. they are too destructive for deer, but should be just the ticket for a coyote load in your .35 Remington.

·
36,226 Posts
Anybody have experience with the 220gr. Speer? Buffalo Bore is offering them in the .35 Rem, at an advertised MV of 2200 fps. Now that's a pretty stout .35 Rem load, basically the same ballistics as the .30-40 Krag with 220gr. bullets, and not too terribly far behind the '06.

·
36,226 Posts
Don't know, but if I had to hazard a guess, probably 40,000CUP.

Shoot him an email and see what he says, Tim usually doesn't have a problem handing out that sort of information.

·
Registered
71 Posts
220 Speer

My understanding is that the 220-gr. Speer has a heavier jacket and is intended for the .358 Winchester, the .35 Whelen, .358 Norma Magnum, .350 Remington and that class of cartridges. I'm not sure that the bullet would perform properly at the velocities obtained in safe pressures with the .35 Remington. Within SAAMI pressure limitations you'd be lucky to get 2000 f.p.s.,

You can exceed SAAMI pressures a bit, to about 46,000, to reach 2200 f.p.s. in a strong bolt action with a 22" barrel, which would make it a 200 yard rifle, but above that pressure the brass is really too thin to push any more.

Your best bet is a Remington 600 (which they made a few of in .35 Remington) a Winchester Model 70 (rare collectible in that caliber), Remington 760 pump (they did make a few, but they are scarce) or a custom '98 Mauser (fairly common post WWII conversion).

I wish somebody would make a trim bolt action such as an M77 Ruger in .35 Remington with a 22" barrel and ghost ring peep sights...

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Well, I can tell you from actual meat killing that the heavy .35" bullets designed for the calibers Ed mentioned are worthless in the .35 Remington! Even many of the 200 gr "Compromise" bullets offered by bullet makers are marginal, as far as expansion is concerned. Why handicap a great caliber by using something it was not designed to do. Use the famous 200 gr Remigton CL bullet designed for it! If you want more weight and velocity...get another caliber....James C. Gates

1 - 19 of 19 Posts