Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all

Killed a coyote today with my Marlin 35 Remington. After a very brief post-mortem I began to wonder if a coyote offers enought resistence for the 35 Remington factory loaded 200 grain corelock bullet to expand?

The first shot hit about 1 1/2" to 2" behind the shoulder and very little reaction was initially shown. Should have been a killing shot. The next one was center mass while the 'yote was in high gear, a yelp and nip and resumption of course! Third shot was quartering away through the rear hip forward and finally anchored it in one place. Head shot finished the matter. Range was about 55 yards.

This was my first coyote. Are they generally bullet proof? Was this super 'yote, or do they require another approach or bullet to make a quicker kill. I wonder if the Corelock preformed like a FMJ? That 'yote took 800 grains of lead and jacket before cashing in!

Wondering in Carolina,

Reb

· Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jack and Contender,

I have loaded some 158 gr JHPs in my 356 Winchester and all that I have ever recoverd has been empty jacket with the occassional fleck of lead attached! They perform like a varmit bullet out of the 356. But then they are moving around 2400 to 2500 fps. Might need to try them in the 35 Rem. if I make up a "varmit" load for it. The speer manual warns that their 158 JHP should not be used on any animal larger than a coyote in the 356, but I don't know if it says the same for the 35 Rem. My Lyman manual does't even list pistol bullets for the 35.

Thing was, we were deer hunting so I had to be loaded for that! I was under orders to "terminate with extreme prejudice" any coyotes that presented a target of opportunity! However messily, mission accomplished!

While I like to make sure that any animal I hunt is given a clean and quick death, I may be willing to make an exception for 'yotes. Dead sooner or dead later, so long as they are dead! Even with the four shots, this one didn't last 30 seconds from the first shot to the last.

Reb

· Banned
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all,

I was talking with my hunting buddy today and he reminded me of a coyote that his nephew shot earlier this year.

His nephew had borrowed his 45/70 Remington Rolling Block to go deer hunting (he got one with it before this). Loaded with his handloads using a 350 grain bullet at a slightly warmed velocity. While deer hunting he wacked a coyote with it and knocked it off of it's feet. It quickly got back up and started back out the far end of the field where his hunting partner was. His partner shot it also with a 7MM MAGNUM and bits of 'yote were seen to fly off at the impact of the bullet. The coyote proceeded to exit the field and no corpse was ever found!

My hunting buddy also shot one with his 12 ga. and 00 buck at close range. He found hair, blood, bits of bone and flesh but no 'yote! He tracked it for a cosiderable distance before giving up.

These must be really tough animals, much more so than I would ever have given them credit for! I don't feels so bad for shooting mine 4 times. By the way, when I asked my hunting partner how long I took from 1st shot to the last he said about 10 seconds or so! WOW! It seemed much longer to me! That old Marlin sure can shuck'em and shoot'em quick!

Reb

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.