Shooters Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
39,117 Posts
Only critter that I have shot with my .35 Rem was a small (~25 lb.) pig at short range with the factory 200gr. Cor-Lokt load.

Expansion was quite evident, and the results, decisive. Did you cut into the chest cavity to see what happened? Once in a while you get a critter that just won't quit, especially if alarmed. I shot a coyote once with a 165gr. Partition from my .30-06 at short range and it took off and I never found it.

39,117 Posts
Reb -

A suggestion, tyr this at the range first before you hunt with it:

File a (bigger) flat on the nose of a couple of bullets and see if you get any significant departure from your current zero.

If ok for zero, the flat on the nose should help increase the wound channel even if the bullet fails to expand. And if you don't get too carried away, shouldn't hurt on the deer either. Just a stroke or two with the file.

Jack, yes I sure do remember the skunk story! I've known a few other people to have misadventures with them also.

39,117 Posts
Anybody have experience with the 220gr. Speer? Buffalo Bore is offering them in the .35 Rem, at an advertised MV of 2200 fps. Now that's a pretty stout .35 Rem load, basically the same ballistics as the .30-40 Krag with 220gr. bullets, and not too terribly far behind the '06.

39,117 Posts
Don't know, but if I had to hazard a guess, probably 40,000CUP.

Shoot him an email and see what he says, Tim usually doesn't have a problem handing out that sort of information.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.