Shooters Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 35 Rem XLR to the range today. Have been working with the cartridges...turning necks/neck sizing only. Had five ready to go...group on left is those five out of a clean, cold barrel. Had 17 left to fireform before neck sizing and neck turning. I wanted to check out my forend modification (floater) to see if it would increase group size or start slinging shots out of the group when the barrel heated up. It performed as expected. I rapid fired those 17 cartridges and the group is on the right...and boy did that barrel ever get hot.....but it held its point of aim farely well. For a hunting rifle this should be ideal. This load was not an accuracy load, but something I just threw together to get the cases firformed and check out the neck sizing (I made my own die) and the turning operations. so far so good! This barrel has been lapped per Marshalls kit/instructions, and even though I am using jacketed bullets in this one, I wanted the accuracy that fire lapping offers. Between his kit and my modified floater forend, I am expecting to have a very accurate hunting rifle when all is said and done. Now, its time to finish up those cases and start working up a serious hunting load.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
Very impressive grouping, FT! Was that at 100 yards, with a lever-action?? :D

Is this just a standard 35 Remington or does the "35 Sportsman Express" indicate some kind of wildcat round? I'm very curious to know what your cartridge length is and if you've improved the neck.

Jason

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No broom, just 25 yards. I will test my hunting loads at 100 yards, but, this shows "uniformity and consistancy" and that is all I am worried about now. The group on the left is .370 extreme center to center spread, and that computes to well under an inch at 100 yards....and this load is not even a developed load! With accurate high velocity hunting loads, I expect a pretty accurate shooter. A buddy of mine had his 30-06 bolt gun out as well, with some factory loads that he said were the most accurate in his rifle...his groups were over twice the size at the same distance....so, all things considered, and the cold weather we had that morning, I am happy at this stage of development. Nope, its just a regular old Marlin levergun with a few improvements (no wildcat)..........the "Express" thing was in part a name that mogwai from this forum bestowed on it, and because it is in a way "sporterized" with the shortened magazine tube and modified forend, I decided to call it the "Sportsmans Express"...kind of has a "dignified" ring to it:D My other lever guns have had names bestowed on them as well...the "Peashooter" ...the "Safari Grade", etc. I have never named my guns, but if other folks want to I am good with that. Foreforming, neck sizing only, and neck turning are all Benchrest methods of improving the fit and bore alignment of a cartridge for accuracy improvement and ballistics (uniformity, concentricity, and, neck tension). Cartridge lenght is standard for the 35 Remington.

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
OK, thanks for the clarification. I'm looking at possibly buying a 35 Remington for a future project, so I guess I was reading what I wanted to see. :) I really like the work you've done with your guns and hope the hunting loads you work up are very accurate.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all!

Big Dan; There is always a starting point...even when I competed as a Benchrest shooter, I always started a new gun at 25 yards...then progressed to 100 and beyond. Believe it or not close range work with a rifle can tell you a lot about what it will do at the longer ranges. This is only a one time thing..just to get the foreformed cases done, and make a quick check of everything before the "serious" work begins. More will come later as the process continues.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mogwai;.........couldnt have done it without ya!!!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
OK, thanks for the clarification. I'm looking at possibly buying a 35 Remington for a future project, so I guess I was reading what I wanted to see. :) I really like the work you've done with your guns and hope the hunting loads you work up are very accurate.
35 rem has some potential above factory loads. Several folks are shooting 180 fr speer at 2300 fps; 200gr core lokt at 2200 is feasible.

I have recently purchased two 35 marlins. One is a336CS microgroove. It wears a Leupold 1x4 and will shoot jacketed bullets at higher velocities. The other is a 336SS. It wears a peep and will shoot cast & pistol bullets--my woods loafing gun.

I need to spend remainder of the morning at the loading bench.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mogwai; Keep us posted on your load development!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.