Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 35 Whelen Improved (Ackley 40 degree) built on a commercial Mauser action with a 25" Douglas tube. I was wondering if anyone has a rough ratio on what is the acceptable percentage of powder charge increase to consider a maximum over the standard 35 Whelen. I have been handloading for 15+ years and recognize high pressure signs. I'm looking for a ballpark percentage to help save me some time at the reloading bench when trying new powders.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, kciH:
The Powley Computer treats an increase in case size as linear. So suppose a factory Whelen with a bullet seated has a water capacity of 60 grains and the improved holds 66 or 10% more. You'd expect that 10% more powder should work. The Powley ratio is .86, water to powder, WITH DUPONT MANUFACTURED IMR ONLY. Recent Expro manufactured IMR powder is a bit faster, so 66 X .86 = 57.8 grains of 4064 is a hot load. You'll have to work out your own case capacity and work up.

Since the improved Whelen isn't that much larger than the factory version, dclark's starting point is a good one.

Bye
Jack

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
While I don't have a direct answer to your question, I do have an article G. Sitton wrote some years ago about a custom short barreled 35 Whelen Imp he had built. The rifle was based on an FN Mauser action but sports a 20" barrel. The article is about 4 pages long and gives loading data for about 30 loads using 8 different bullets in 4 weights and 7 or 8 different flavors of powder. He doesn't go into exactly how much volume difference there is between the Whelen and the Imp, but if you are interested, I can get a copy of the article to you, either snail mail or email. Sitton really liked the rifle and chambering, but says in the last paragraph that he intended to give it to an outfitter friend of his.

Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of the info. Alyeska338, I'm very interested in the article you mentioned. If you could forward it via email, that would be great. I think you can see my email on here, but I'm not sure because I am new to the forum. My email is [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts