Shooters Forum banner

.35 whelen info

8959 Views 20 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  CAROLINAHOAN
I recently bought a remington model 7600 in a .35 whelen to use on an upcoming hunt to maine for black bear . I bought some federal trophy bonded bear claw factory ammo 225 grain has anyone had any experience with this caliber and bullet combo Just wondering if this is a good bullet for black bear I was also looking at the barnes tsx bullet in 200 grain.
Any info appreciated thanks
1 - 2 of 21 Posts
I recently bought a remington model 7600 in a .35 whelen to use on an upcoming hunt to maine for black bear . I bought some federal trophy bonded bear claw factory ammo 225 grain has anyone had any experience with this caliber and bullet combo Just wondering if this is a good bullet for black bear I was also looking at the barnes tsx bullet in 200 grain.
Any info appreciated thanks
Congrats on getting yourself a fine new rifle! I've not owned a 7600 in .35W, but have owned a 7400 and now own a 750 Carbine in .35W and think it a good platform for the caliber. The bullets you chose will certainly do the job you're asking of them, no doubt about that. I've not used that loading, but have seen the excellent performance that bullet (now called the TBT) does in other calibers on heavy game.

I have shot several animals with the .35W, but no bears. The factory 200gr CL load has been a hammer on deer for me and no bullet has ever been recovered from what typically is a bang/flop harvest. I've never had a deer move more than 10-15 yds after being hit and most, 80% or more, simply literally fell on their legs. I've had excellent sucess with the 200gr TSX you mentioned as well. It's a very accurate load out of my T/C Encore with 24" barrel at a claimed 2874 FPS (Stars & Stripes load). At approximently 225 yds the Tn 8 pnt that was the first deer I shot with this load simply dropped in place, shot behind the shoulder.

As far as a black bear load, I'd say that the 250gr Rem load would also work just fine. I will likely simply use it on my September Maine bear hunt. I happen to have a box laying around and have no doubt of it's capabilities on pretty much anything. Craig Boddington tells an interesting story about the .35 Whelen and that 250gr factory loading used on a moose hunt. Interestingly enough, bang/flop on a large bull moose.

Hope this helped some and best of luck with that new rifle.
See less See more
tnhunter where are you going in maine
I'm headed to west central Maine, near the town of Bethel. Last year's hunt was an enjoyable one, so we'll give it another "go"! I have used the 200gr TSXs in my Encore Whelen (not in my .350, however). They are claimed to be 2874 FPS and were plenty accurate enough in the Encore w/24" barrel. I managed to drop a nice Tn buck at 225 yds with that load (he simply fell straight down, shot behind the shoulder), one of two bucks I've harvested with it from the same stand. Certainly not a bullet one needs for deer in the Whelen, but it certainly did the job X2 ;)

Whereabouts in Maine are you headed for your bear hunt?
1 - 2 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.