Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Browning 1895 Winclone and am moving to a new thread...

Trying to decide what to do with the rifle. A 35 Whelen rebore is about $300 through Fred Zeglin. The 35 Whelen appears to give about 300 fps increase over the 358 Win with 250 gr bullets. The 358 isn't exactly a short range cartridge so I'm figuring that the Whelen will do fine out to 250 yds in this bullet weight. Main problem is that the rifle doesn't lend itself to much more than iron sights. My eyes won't handle iron sighted shots to that range so am waffling a bit on this one. The Browning sports a 24" barrel and weighs in around 8 lb (guessing) so it's not the perfect wood toter. And it doesn't appear that sling swivel studs are going to work very well.

Nothing wrong with it as a 30-06 either. With 180 gr bullets, the only I've shot on paper so far, I get verticle stringing as the barrel warms up but the first shot goes where you aim it. Leaving it in it's current form is an option too. I could use something a little higher in the power range though.

Tough decision...wish they were all this much work! I value your opinions so what would you guys do?

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I used to have a Browning 1895 in 30-06 which shot decently. I didn't like the rear sight and put on a reciever sight. Also unscrewed the rear apeture off so I had a large rear apeture like I was used to (been toting around an M16 for the last 20 some years at work). Wish I still had it at times but used it in a trade for a Browning 1886 carbine. I also have the itch for a 35 caliber gun. Personnel I don't care for a scope on a lever gun either.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi CombatDiver - nice to see you here and on Marlin talk. Bart the .35 Whelen is a good cartridge out to 250 yds and more. The 225 grain partition is even better at longer ranges. I've heard of iffy performance on the 225gr Ballistic tips if you have to bust something up close. I agree with Diver, if your not going to scope it then a good receiver sight or maybe a tang sight would be just the ticket. Good luck, CEJ

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
There are several types of rear aperature and tang sights available for the 95. If you are comfortable with them, its a great way to go.

As far as the sling is concerned, Fred will put a barrel band sling swivel on it, if you want. Personally, I think it's a great idea.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'd go .35 Whelen!

Bart-

Shortly after the Miroku 1895's came out in .270 Winchester (I still don't understand why .270) I also saw an original 1895 that had been re-barreled to .35 Whelen. I was bitten by the bug on the spot. Some day I'll come across another one of those 1895 repro's in .270 and have the cash to act............

Anyway, I think the chance for a .35 caliber levergun that will do everything the .35 Rem/.356 Win/.35 Win. will do (and more) would be great. I envy you and the dilemma you are facing!;)

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Dutch,
I don't understand the 270 reasoning either, but kinda glad they did. Since it wasn't one of the original chamberings, I didn't feel a bit bad about sending mine in to be made into something really different.

I'm still waiting though...:(

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the opinions gents!

The rears sights on this rifle don't appear to be too bad IMO. However, I already have peeps on 3 of my lever guns and have grown to prefer them. It's just that a 250 yd shot with any iron sight will be beyond my ability, glasses or not. Now hitting the kill zone on a wooly mammoth might be a different situation but don't have a season on them around here. :)

I agree, the 35 bore seems to be a good one. Have looked for a 356 Win I feel comfortable shelling out the cash for for the last couple of years but nothing yet. Have wanted a 358 Win for years too. The upcoming Remington offering of 350 Rem Mag caught my attention but doubt it'll be worth the cost. The Whelen seems like the ultimate 35 in a lever action.

I wonder what effect the barrel band sling would have on shot to shot repeatability? Also, what would you think about rifling twist? Seems like 9 - 9 1/2 might be good for all around bullet weights.

Fred says lead time is a little over 8 months for this conversion. Would get it back here just about in time for the '03 elk season, although load development time would be short. I doubt it would take too much effort to find something that works but decent places to shoot are hard to find around here ever since last summer's Hayman Fire. My normal ranges are behind the burn lines and off limits.

This is going to be a tough one. Got a possible job change coming up that might bear on the decision. More (or less) available cash might push me over one edge or another. I'm sure I'll never run into the deal I got on the base gun again.

Boy! A 35 Whelen sure sounds good!

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Tough aren't they? I started out with the idea of rechambering to the 338/06 or 35 Whelen. Then got to looking at some of my wildcat books and checked out the 375 Whelen AI. Then, I requested ideas - right here on this forum. Watch out!!! CharlieZ threw the 400 Whelen at me and after a bit of research I decided the 400 Brown Whelen is a better way to go. Then 41fan, or someone brought up the 411 Hawk. Brother, this was getting thick. So, I stepped back to examine the way I would use the rifle. My needs were a powerful repeater out to 200 yards, good enough for moose at that distance, but good enough for bear up close and personal. After talking with Fred at Z-Hat, I was convinced that the 411 was the way to go. It had to be rebarreled, but I didn't like the sights anyway, so that wasn't a real loss for me. Granted all the above cartridges are on the 30/06 case. Fred also has the 300, 338, 358, 375 Hawks. The 411 can handle heavy, high bc spitzer bullets at enough speed to make the 200 shot a reality. With enough practice and good sights, maybe stretch it a bit more, especially on moose. Right now, I can only find 4 manufacturers of 400 grain, .411 dia bullets - Woodleigh, Barnes, Hawk and GS Custom. I requested Fred to put a quarter rib with 2 folding leaf express v's for the rear sight. Figure I could use one sight blade for lesser weight bullets and one for the heavies. I had a barrel band sling swivel attached and Fred didn't see a problem with that - as long as you don't really cinch the sling down if used for shooting. My problem is the areas I hunt are pretty steep with marginal footing. Packing out of places like that takes two hands in spots. At any rate we finished off the barrel with a banded front sight of my choice. The barrel is a 22" Douglas Premium XX. I had Fred to regulate the rear sights one cut for the 400 grain Barnes dead on at 100 yards and the other for the Swift A Frame 350 grain for a maximum point blank (with rise no more than 3" above line of sight). I figured I had better let an expert cut the sights or I'd really mess it up.

A couple of months after sending the rifle to Z-Hat, I thought that it would be a good idea to get a tang sight for light loads at the range. I doubt seriously that it will be much for anything other than shooting 300 grainers at distance. So, I have the tang sight, now, but am still waiting on the rifle to return. The end of this month will be 9 months, which is what he estimated, so I guess I'm rushing things a bit.

Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure it will be interesting and fun. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
429 Posts
35 whelen reloading

Hunting here in NC often times is up fairly close shooting. I have loaded my 35 with lighter bullets like 150-180 grs. And it works great on deer.

DanTana
North Carolina
www.High-Rock.com

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have so far this year shot 3 deer with my 35 Whelen. They all dropped in their tracks. Although they were within 100 yards. I have just purchased a Model 673 guide gun in a 350 Rem. Mag. I can't wait to get it in the woods.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Thanks for the opinions gents!

The rears sights on this rifle don't appear to be too bad IMO. However, I already have peeps on 3 of my lever guns and have grown to prefer them. It's just that a 250 yd shot with any iron sight will be beyond my ability, glasses or not. Now hitting the kill zone on a wooly mammoth might be a different situation but don't have a season on them around here. :)

I agree, the 35 bore seems to be a good one. Have looked for a 356 Win I feel comfortable shelling out the cash for for the last couple of years but nothing yet. Have wanted a 358 Win for years too. The upcoming Remington offering of 350 Rem Mag caught my attention but doubt it'll be worth the cost. The Whelen seems like the ultimate 35 in a lever action.

I wonder what effect the barrel band sling would have on shot to shot repeatability? Also, what would you think about rifling twist? Seems like 9 - 9 1/2 might be good for all around bullet weights.

Boy! A 35 Whelen sure sounds good!
Remington uses a 1 in 16 twist for their 35 Whelen caliber barrels. Ruger and Adams/Bennett use a 1 in 14" twist. I don't think you need to go faster than 1 in 14 as I get excellent accuracy w/ the Barnes 225 gr TSX in my 350 Rem mag w/ the 1 in 16 twist. The Barnes TSX is longer than a lead bullet for the weight.

I'm not familiar w/ the Browning 95. Is it magazine fed like the WIn 95 so you can use pointy bullets?

Also, I wouldn't pass on the 358 WIn cartidge if you're hunting w/ in 200 yards. A bit less recoil, but still good velocities.

·
Registered
817 Posts
This thread is a true blast from the past...2003!

I wonder how the Browning 1895 turned out.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Well, I for another would get that 35 Whelen. It is a hammer on game. Plus with decent (and safe) handloads you are really in 338 Win Mag territory. I have a 358 BLR and a Remington CDL in the Whelen and it is hard for me to want to take anything but those two in the woods. They are a true big bore hammer.

Did you ever get your rifle built. Be pretty cool to hear how it turned out and how you like it. Scotty

·
Registered
192 Posts
As long as we're dredging up this old thread - If I were to trouble a 'smith with rechambering a Miroku copy I'd forget about the 24" Whelen and copy a classic M1895 Carbine - 30-40 Krag w/ a 22" barrel & a Lyman 38 peep or scoped in a Griffin & Howe side mount (find Ken Water's 1985 Handloader article on that gun - loads for 165 - 250 gr.)

A friend has an original in that configuration (w/ a factory Lyman M21) that has downed many moose with 200 gr. Barnes originals.

·
Registered
817 Posts
If it were me I would keep the 30-06 and simply upgrade the sights to suit my need. With iron sights of any kind my practical range would be limited to 200 yds. maximum. A good 220 gr. RN handload in the '06 would work just fine within that range. As a hunting rifle vertical stringing would not be a factor in the field.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Wow! This thread was revived after all that time. A lot of water has passed under the bridge since then...

I ended up keeping the Browning in it's factory chamber and sold it at some point. Over this period of time I did pick up the Win 94 356 and a couple of Browning 81's in 358. Still no 35 Whelen graces the safe though there were some close calls. A 350 Rem Mag or two came close to finding a home here. And I'm still looking for a good Marlin in 35 Rem. I love these 35 bores. Sounds like some of you do too.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Thats a good point also. Nosler has a 220gr Semi Spitzer Partition that could be pushed to around 2450 out of an 06. With a good receiver sight, that would be a classic looking round that would be pretty flat out to 200 yards if needed. Scotty

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just read in Ken Waters pet loads on how he took a 1895 browning in 30-40 Krag and had it rebored and chambered to 35 win . Case head size was almost the same. Making brass was a little bid of a chore though.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
405 winchester brass from hornady appears to be the way to go for the 35WCF. i've contemplated that one myself, i have a usrac '95 in 405 and although i love the rifle the recoil is a bit much. they are indeed a neat old design... in fact john brownings last levergun. i'll probably just leave mine as is and use somewhat moderate loads as opposed to max loads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
35 Whelen feedback.

I don't have a dog in this hunt as I have never owned a 1895. However I do have a couple of nice 35 Whelen rifles. One is a Rem. 700 Classic and the other is a beautiful Ruger No. one Special Edition from Lipseys. Both of these rifles can be made to shoot very well and will keep their bullets plenty close for longer range shots even past 300yds.
One great thing about those big bullets is that they don't slow down very fast. Even though they are not barn burners out of the bore, they keep their momentum up for a loong ways. Also in the collection is a 338 Win mag. and two 338-06 rifles.
Over the years I've taken some deer with these and here is my experience. When you hit a deer with one of these meduim bore bullets things stop happening quick. I can only think of one hit with one of these that went any distance and it went over a ledge and down a slope for probably 20yds. and was piled up at the bottom, lots of fun dragging that one back up the slope. It was near a Texas Heart Shot as the bullet went in rear of the ribbs left side and out just in front of the point of the shoulder right. Several of my kills have been with the Nosler Ballistic tip as the Rem Classic likes them and I've not recovered one. The ballistic tip, which I think is now discontinued, has a very thick jacket compared to those of smaller diameter. Each of these were within 100yds as it has turned out so I have found no fault in them whatsoever.
In the 338-06 my favorite rifle likes the 210 Nosler Part. I took a buck this year at 178yds. facing me. At the shot the report back when the bullet struck the deer was more of a crack than usual, it's usually a thump, the buck took one step toward me and collapsed. Bullet struck just right of center chest and crossed the heart-lung cavity exiting at the rear of the ribbs left. He did me the courtisy of staying in the road so all I had to do was to back the truck up and load him up. I would guess him at 140-150lb.
It is of interest that Remington has used the 1/16 twist and Ruger gave their Whelen 1/14. I am with Finn Aagard on this issue. I think the 1/14 is the right twist for the Whelen. In truth though both can be made to shoot well, I just favor the faster twist.
Well that's my story and I'm stickin" to it. Good luck all you 35 fans out there. Also don't over look the little 35 Rem for woods use. That caliber with the 200gr. Rem Corelokt is death within 200yds. And comes in handy lever action packages.

Guzziac,
Richard P.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts