Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Am looking at 35 Whelen (or Ack Imp) barrels to fit to a Mauser action and found 2 different twist rates - 1:12 and 1:14. Shilen lists 1:14 and Douglas lists 1:12 (Brownells). Whats the difference between the two and why. I plan on trying to shoot 200 - 250 grain bullets but will lean heavily on the 225. Thanks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My 35 Whelen used a 1/14 twist and stabilized everything up to 275 Grains without problem. Whether the 300's would stabilize I don't know as I didn't try any in it. I'm sure the 1/12 would stabilize 300's as other shooters have tested that combination. My emphasis was on the 250's which I consider ideal for the 35 Whelen. My rifle also shot cast bullets of that weight very well. As you suggest you may prefer the 225's I would suggest going with 1/14 and the option is always there to go at least 25 grains heavier. best.

·
Banned
71 Posts
.35 Whelen twist rate

A 16" twist in the .35 Whelen will handle roundnosed, flatbased bullets up to 250 grains, or spitzers to 225 grains.
Most .35 Remington and .350 Remington Magnum barrels are 16" twist.

A 14" twist will handle roundnosed, flatbased bullets to 300 grains and spitzers up to 250-grs. and is recommended for general use. This was the twist rate recommended by Whelen.

A 12" twist is unnecessary in the .35 Whelen, but could be used if you want maximum gyroscopic stability of 300-gr. bullets for maximum penetration. This rate of twist was commonly used in the .358 Winchester and .358 Norma Magnum, which is essentially a blown-out .338 Winchester or 7mm Remington Magnum.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,

Dad ordered the 1:14 twist, I'm having a temporary cash flow problem (tuition bills for 2 kids due in January). I'll work on the 06 I have started before I tackle the whelen.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I would opt for the 1 in 14 twist, it will stablize all the weight you need shooting that Whelen. The 250 grain bullet is the bullet weight of choice in that caliber to begin with for heavy game.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts