Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well here i go again!
as not famialr with either cartrige but have to say the 350 looks good.
but i have a chance to take a customd built 338-06 built on ruger 77 action or a remington custom 7 , it has a muzzle brake to help with the recoil not that recoil bothere me mutch - have always shot magnums. just asking for opinions?
thanks
:)

·
Registered
872 Posts
NAP,

I can't comment on the 338-06, although looking at it on paper gives it a certain appeal.

I can give high endorsement to the 350, as I am the proud owner of one, a 700 classic, that is my favorite rifle bar none.
This rifle is versitle, accurate, not too kickish (reminds me of a heavy loaded naught 6), and the classic handles better to me than anything.

Versitility wise, it will literally handle everything on the North Amercian continent, and more than likely everything on the African continent as well. 250 grain heavy wieghts for Big bears, 225 grain for pigs, elk, small bears, 200/ 180 grain for deer, and 158 grain pistola bullets for varmits. Most of these are good out to 300 yards, and the worst will shoot 200 yards all day long.

Accuracy wise, the best load my rifle has shot was a 200 grain Hornady over a max charge of 3031, grouped at less than .4 inches center to center @ 100 yards. This same bullet will go 3000 fps, according to the Accuratte Arms manual, a fact that I verified with the very fellow that did the testing, who is a co-worker of mine.

I'm none too sure how recoil will be in the model 7. My model 7 is in 308, and it thumps me about as hard as my 350 does in a model 700. Recoil is only a factor when shooting off the bench, so I would advise using something like a PAST recoil pad, as I do it with the smaller calibers as well. Aniticpating recoil is about 95% responsible for not getting a surprise break, and it will effect your accuracy testing like you can not imagine.

I think you will like it, I am real happy that Remington has brought it back, as I was pack-ratting all kinds of brass, and factory loads, most of which had been on the self for years before I bought it.

You have a couple of real good options, but I don't beleive you'll be disappointed with a 350.

Good shooting,

Steve

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
I would have to imagine that a Model 7 in .350 would just about knock the fillings out of your teeth. You're getting close to .338 Win Mag ballistics in a very light gun!

I've got a full-sized .338 and it's not too bad, but wouldn't want it much lighter. No problem at all to shoot in the field but my father-in-law put a good recoil pad on it.

Still, the M7 would be very handy to have in many hunting situations where you walk/climb a lot more than you shoot. For the experienced hunter/shooter, it makes a compact powerhouse.

Since both cartridges are (realistically) handloading propositions, and terminal results will be very similar, I would make the decision on which rifle you like best.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
NAP I'll try and shed a little more light on your topic OK!
I owned and shot a 338/06 model 70 feather weight for several years. I like the way it put animals down using premium bullets and Core-Lokts on whitetail deer also.

I once remember shooting a 350 magnum and it was a jaw buster in that little carbine type rifle I held back then. I wouldn't have traded 2 ....broke 06's for a 350 mag back then. Enough side on the 350 mag.

However the 338/06 will do anything that the 338 Winchester magnum will do out to 300 yards on big game animals and that is saying a bunch. I have used the 210 grain Barnes XLC bullet as well as the 230 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claws, along with the Nosler 225 grain partitions on elk and black bear.

Stoke it up with some of those 180 grain Barnes bullets or a 200 grain from one of the other bullet manufacturing
companies and it becomes a pretty flat shooting big game rifle too, much more so than a 350 mag, which is limited on bullet selection as well.

I gave that rascal to my sister in laws son last Christmas and he was happy as a fox in a hen house. I mostly use a 338 mag nowdays but there is nothing wrong with the 338/06 as a big game gun at normal hunting ranges. It kills better than any 06 on the planet, you won't be disappointed in choosing it for use on big game.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well thank you all for the info. I went with the 338-06 . It is the bettre round to reload as 30-06 brass is easy to get . I to have a 338 magnum but is is for the farther to reach shot that i know come on a occasion. this 338-06 will by my bush gun where shot are not that far and so see that the 338-06 will be effactive, once again thanks for all the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts