Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any one could let me know if i can get this caliber handloaded in a 180gr.bullet? THANKS

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Hi, 350:
I'm not sure there's a suitable bullet. The Hornady SSP (Single Shot Pistol) isn't designed for the velocity your .350 can push it too, and Hornady doesn't have data for it in the #4 manual. The Speer flat nose is in the same boat, and some say it's at it's limit in the .356 Winchester. In my limited experience, it's lots tough enough at .35 Remington velocities, but I don't have a gun that can drive it faster.

I'd say you'd be better off with the 200 gr. Hornady SP, if it's as tough as their round nose. The 225 grainers from Sierra and Nosler are made for 350 RM and Whelen velocities, and they'd be a fine choice. Both have high ballistic coefficients and a Nosler Partition has never failed me.

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
13 Posts
If you handload?

Remington once made a 150 grain bullet for the .350. You might be able to find some but they are probably all grabbed up.

180 Speer and 52 gr. of 4064 will duplicate the .300 Savage
56gr. of 4064 will duplicate the 180 .308 Win.
200 grain roundnose and 52 gr. of R12 will = .35 Rem.
55 of 4064 will = .358 Win.

You don't need .350 velocity for deer. I used to down load my Whelen for eastern whitetails. And as stated you don't need the 225's. They will blow right through a caribou.

I love my Whelen, great gun. If you want to sell the .350 let me know!:D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hi 350,

I also like the little .350 and almost had Remington build me a custom rifle in that caliber but after seeing the .35 whelen I built a custom one from a 700 classic rifle. Nosler had a number of 158 gr loads in their last manual and I believe some 180 gr loads too. You can e-mail them and they'll be able to give you the exact info. I have two loads for my .35 a 225 grain Nosler Partition for deer and a 250 grain Nosler for the bigger critters. The 225's will shoot groups you can cover with a quarter all day. I also remember on Marlin talk someone talking about custom ammo makers for guys that don't reload but wanted premium bullets. You might want to log on there and do a search on custom ammo or just post the new topic. CEJ..

·
Registered
471 Posts
I just got off the phone with a friend who says that in the Jan issue of Shooting Times there's a write up on Remington's reintroduction of the 350 Mag in a new bolt action...something like a model 673. From the sound of it this might be an updated model 600 or 660.

Interesting...the only problem is that MSRP is in the 8's. Think I'll wait a while for the nimrods to be putting their's up for sale after they get the snot kicked out of them. Might not be too bad though at 7 3/4 lb.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have been using primarily the Speer 250 grain spitzer in my M600; 350, and this is a good multipurpose bullet deer, elk, and hog. The 200 grain Remington Corelokt and Hornady spire point are light bullets that are mostly trustworthy at full .350 velocity for anything smaller than elk. The Speer Grand Slam is a bullet to consider when trying to get the very most (not at all needed for deer) from a short COL for short magasined rifles, since it is quite short for a 250 grain spitzer.

Fireplug

·
Registered
872 Posts
Gentlemen,

Speer does make a 180 grain flat point, and Hornady may still make a 180 spitzer for pistol shooters. I have no expirence with either, as the 200 grain Hornady over a max charge of 3031 will shoot out to 300 yards with not much trouble. This is also the most accurate in my 700 classic, printing one group well under half an inch at 100 yards. 4320 works as good, better in the 225 nosler, actually.

I shot a real nice, thick eight pointer in 2000 the Hornady load, in the 170 weight range, and it decked it. The recovered bullet was 78 caliber, and wieghed 152 grains, lodged against the far hide. It tried to get up, and i drilled it again, although the autopsy revealed that this second shot was not necessary.

I think either 180 loadings would be great, but you might ought to try the 200s for deer, they really have earned their keep here. I'm a huge fan of the 350, and its my favorite rifle / caliber. Am interested to hear what you come up with.

Good shooting,

S.R.

·
Registered
86 Posts
350 Mag

I have shot two deer with my Remington 600 in 350. I used the 225 gr. Nosler Partition over 60 gr IMR 4895 for 2675 FPS. Load is Maximum in my gun. One deer was shot quartering away from me. I was aiming just ahead of the paunch but just as the shot broke the deer stepped forward and the bullet hit the paunch on the right side and agled forward through the chest cavity and exited the left front of the chest. Probably close to 2 feet of total penetration. Upon field dressing we just poured the insides out there was no identifiable organs!!!!! I have seen some bullet damage but this was massive. Stomach contents were blown out of the exit wound in the front of the chest and onto the ground.

I shot another deer on the same trip. Plain classic broadside lung shot. Bullet expanded well and there were pieces of the deers lungs for 15 or so feet on the far side that were blown out of the exit wound. Both deer dropped quickly.

I use this bullet for most all hunting but would probably switch to the 250 gr. Partition if I were after large bears or moose. Otherwise the 225 offers everything I need for game up to and including Elk. It shoots flat penetrates extremely well and still opens on fairly light resistance.

Garth

·
Banned
20 Posts
Can't help you much on rifle data but I do have a 350 Rem in an Encore pistol that I absolutely love. I've shot everything in this gun from 180 gr to 250 and in my pistol, the 225 Nosler BT works the best. I stoke it with IMR 4320 for 2500 fps out of a 15" barrel. I would not use the 180's for anything except a light target load. I shot some into a sand bank for expansion comparison and they came apart with a large impact crater. The 200 gr Hornady RN held together real well as does the 200 gr Rem. The 225 Nosler gives a classic mushroom with good retention (~ 65 - 70%). The 250 gr Speers also do well but my velocity isn't quite what you would get from your rifle. I am looking for a good 200 gr spire point for a deer load. I bought the 350 for elk hunting and will use the 225 Nosler next year. If and when I go after a moose, I'll use 250's but haven't played much with them yet. Have fun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts