Shooters Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading yet another Stephen King short story about a guy who flips out and starts sniping folks with a rifle, which in this story is a ".352 magnum." Has anyone heard of such a thing? I've looked pretty hard on the internet and come up with squat. Did King dream this gun up? (He certainly seemed to have dreamed up the energy that these rounds deliver; a character that takes one in the neck "flies twenty or so feet.")

If it's a typo it's one that's repeated more than once; it's consistently referred to as "the .352" in the story.

I figured if anyone knew about an obscure chambering it would be you guys, so let me know if you know anything about it. ^_^

·
Beartooth Regular
5,220 Posts
I think Mr. King was either going off a memory of a 350 Rigby Rimless (sometimes called the 350 Rigby Magnum) or the 358 Norma Magnum, but got a bit confused. Of course, he may be writing about a fictious rifle, one he's created for the book or story.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
Like all fiction when you write the script you can do anything. Lets see the man of steel, batman, the 352 magnum.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
The closest cartridge to Mr. King's .352 Magnum is the ultra rare .354 Ross, and I doubt if Mr. King ever heard of it. Just like Frederick Forsyth's exploding bullets in The Day of The Jackal. :rolleyes:

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Jack, I still have some exploding bullets in .380 ACP,they were not much good, more hype than anything else. One of our officers bought some back in the 70's. they were black powder in the nose of a silver tip with a primer set over it with some type of glue. the only time they exploded was when striking something hard. He bought them for his back up weapon, but the Chief put the damper on that, saying that the department couldn't use the bad press if they worked.

Lee L.

·
Registered
471 Posts
He must be thinking of a Ford engine that once existed. My "little old lady" aunt had one in her 1965 Galaxy 500...4 barrel and dual exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
9,425 Posts
M1894 said:
Jack, I still have some exploding bullets in .380 ACP,they were not much good, more hype than anything else. One of our officers bought some back in the 70's. they were black powder in the nose of a silver tip with a primer set over it with some type of glue. the only time they exploded was when striking something hard. He bought them for his back up weapon, but the Chief put the damper on that, saying that the department couldn't use the bad press if they worked.

Lee L.
"Velet" or "VelX"..somthing like that...were sold in blister packs of 10 rounds I belive. Somehwee along the line...probably whith the KTW "cop killer" bullet legislation...they got outlawed. SMall loss, they really didn't do all as much as you'd think,,,it wasn't as if they were full of high explosive.

Writters seldom get the guns right unless they are gun-folk (rare) or hire a consultant (which is also rare for fiction)...although I do have a Webley revolver with a safety, that kind of thing is just not as common as mystery writters seem to think.

·
Registered
658 Posts
King is not exactly a fount of information about guns. I'm still looking for the Colt Woodsman in .38 Special King described in"The Dead Zone" .
The exploding bullets were marketed under the name "Exploder", and were advertised in SGN on a regular basis. Never knew anyone firsthand who ordered and played with them. Their claim to fame, and one of the reasons they were banned was a nutcase named John Hinckley. He used at least some in the assasination attempt on R. Reagan.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Charley said:
King is not exactly a fount of information about guns. I'm still looking for the Colt Woodsman in .38 Special King described in"The Dead Zone" .
Yeah, I read that one but it was in my pre-gun days so I wouldn't have known the difference no matter what craziness he'd been spouting. I've gotta go back through that book, Dreamcatcher, Apt Pupil, and a couple others featuring shooters to see what kind of guns he's invented.

Thanks to all who replied, your posts have been informative and entertaining. (More than I can say for these King short stories I'm working on. ^_^) It's looking more and more like King doesn't really know guns, which makes me think his stories featuring crazy shooters might well be written from an anti-gun perspective. Grr. >:^(

·
Registered
172 Posts
If Michael Crichton or Arthur Hailey had written it, he would have used a real caliber. If he didn't know of one, he would have researched it and found an appropriate one. Steven King is not that kind of author. He made it up, or remembered incorrectly, and didn't care enough to spend five minutes on the internet to find the information he needed.

That is one of many reasons I don't read Steven King. He writes crap. I do have to admit that it's financially successful, widely-read, best-selling crap, though.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Stephen King is well-known for his liberal, anti-gun bias and doesn't make any bones about it in several interviews. Consequently, he feels no responsibility for sloppy, lazy, inaccurate research regarding firearms. I have never liked his writting much, always seemed adolescent, but I gave his Dark Tower series a try. Got about half-way through the first one until I read the stupid mistakes made regarding the character "the gunslinger." Heaven knows King isn't alone in the liberal world of current literature with his ignorance. It seems characters in novels are constantly "thumbing back the safety" or putting silencers on large caliber revolvers. My last favorite example of writer stupidity was in "The Kill Clause" by Gregg Hurwitz, where Mr. Hurwitz claimed that a Glock would go through a metal detector at an airport simply by "removing the barrel" since the gun was "mostly plastic." Ignorance is the most difficult thing in the world to defeat. --MB

·
Banned
1 Posts
If Michael Crichton or Arthur Hailey had written it, he would have used a real caliber. If he didn't know of one, he would have researched it and found an appropriate one. Steven King is not that kind of author. He made it up, or remembered incorrectly, and didn't care enough to spend five minutes on the internet to find the information he needed.

That is one of many reasons I don't read Steven King. He writes crap. I do have to admit that it's financially successful, widely-read, best-selling crap, though.
I hope you see this 15 years later you *** dolt. The short story is from the 70s, pre internet you little dweeb. If MiChAeL cRiChToN wRoTe iT... Shut the **** up. Stick to Jurassic park you wiener that's all your pea brain can comprehend.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Now that there might be the shortest membership ever!! Less than 9hrs, one post.
Bye Mr McGavin.

Reactions: JBelk

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,864 Posts
Yup - one slipped by, but not for long.

Reactions: Darkker

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,123 Posts
Yeah, now you guys know what we deal with as mods! I normally delete after banning, but since I forget to do that, will leave it as an example of how to not wear one's rear end, as a hat.....

Some people..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
354 Posts
I was remembering a novel about a former CIA operative. Yeah, I know. He was doing revenge killings. Yeah I know, again. But he was supposedly carrying a takedown sniper rifle and it was a 50MM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one caught it. They printed it anyway. He was able to carry it in a large suitcase in the airport. And he learned how to swing it back and forth like it weighted nothing. I forgot the author but he wasn't a bad writer except for that detail. Just a bit of research or thought would easily catch that kind of a correction. I wish Mr. King well but don't waste my time with his books OR his movies. He's a rich and creative man without my assistance. Be Well, Bandito.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Wow , three cheers for the work you guys do .

when I was at school I thought Steven King had a pretty good idea.
Write whacked out stories instead of doing work to make money.
Teenagers point of view there.

cheers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts