Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I need a source for the standard operating pressure for these two cartridges, and also the upper safe pressure limit for the standard Marlin 336 rifle. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Lobo in West Virginia

·
Banned
556 Posts
Waters lists the .358 at 52,000 CUP in his later article ('92) and 51,000 PSI in the earlier. I don't have the .356's.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay Guys,

Here's the scoop.....

http://leverguns.sixgunner.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=377

A couple of guys on another BB advocate rechambering a Marlin 336 from .35 Rem to .358 Win. They say file the tips off .358 Win factory ammo and shoot it in your Marlin.

I always thought that the .358 Win was loaded to pressures above the safety levels of the Marlin 336.

Do I have scrambled brains on this???

Lobo in West Virginia

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Lobo,
A fair question. I think the current Winchester factory .358 ammunition is not loaded to 50,000 Cup. I base this on measuring pressure ring expansion and comparing it to the results I have obtained with handloads in my .358 Savage 99. I have fired several factory .358's in my Winchester Big Bore. My chronograph says that factory 200 grain 356 ammunition is loaded to a higher velocity and measuring the pressure rings backs up this thought. My .356 Big Bore got 2,261 fps from the 200 grain .358 factory load, the factory .356 200 grain load chronographed at 2,322 fps from the same rifle on the same day. I do not advocate shooting .358 ammunition in the .356 rifle as there is no need or advantage to doing so.
We can mail order .356 ammunition at reasonable prices if our local dealers will not stock it. Empty unprimed brass is readily available and we can make it easily from .444 brass if we need to. Ammunition is not a problem.
You need to swing over to Real Guns.com and take a look at the article on SAAMI specs and the Marlin rifles. The discussion is centered on the .45-70 but applies equaly to the .356. There is considerable difference between a tapered bottle neck cartridge and a straight wall case with regards to back thrust on the bolt. Quality of the barrel steel is another area of consideration when rechambering to higher intensity cartridges than the manufactirer intended. If the Marlin is going to fail due to high pressure it will probably be the chamber area of the barrel that lets go first. I have had trouble posting the link to Realguns in the past so I wont try again, I am not really a computer type of guy. But it is worth looking for and I believe that threads in the archives here at Beartooth contain several links to it.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,230 Posts
Rechambering a .35 Rem Marlin to .358 is just begging for trouble!

Sooner or later.... it will let go.

Frankly, why anyone would is beyond me. The .35 Rem is quite a potent cartridge, although not the best choice for extreme long range duty.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I agree!! FWIW ==Bob

MikeG said:
Rechambering a .35 Rem Marlin to .358 is just begging for trouble!

Sooner or later.... it will let go.

Frankly, why anyone would is beyond me. The .35 Rem is quite a potent cartridge, although not the best choice for extreme long range duty.

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Good counsel,

In fact, when Marlin made the 356's on their action, they called it the 356ER, and the ER denoted a different heat-treating for the receiver. I don't know if the barrels were of different steel. In fact these guns were sought out when Ken Waters introduced his 7mm Waters cartridge, as well as a couple that Layne Simpson was working on at the time, because of their differently heat-treated receivers.

If a .356 Marlin is on the want list, buy one! Or, if you want to slightly juice up the .35 Remington, one of the various "Improved" versions do add a significant edge to this already respectable cartridge.

Food for thought.

God Bless,

·
Banned
396 Posts
35 Rem To 358 Winchester Conversion

El Lobo said:
Hello,

I need a source for the standard operating pressure for these two cartridges, and also the upper safe pressure limit for the standard Marlin 336 rifle. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Lobo in West Virginia

You might wanta' check out this thread with links back to the conversion article... I think it will work just fine! ;)

http://leverguns.sixgunner.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=412

1 - 11 of 11 Posts