Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What bullet diameter works best in a 94BB 356?
Does anyone have any good loads for the BTB 210 LFNGC?  Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Most of the .356's that I've seen with the Winchester logo on them have bores that are a very uniform .358", with throats that run pretty close to .3595"

I would suggest beginning with bullets sized to .359" for your BB94.

For loads using the 210g LFNGC in the .356 Winchester try these:

BTB .359"-210g LFNGC/50.0g H335/WLRP/Win Brass/2310 fps

BTB .359"-210g LFNGC/47.3g IMR 4895/WLRP/Win Brass/2446 fps.

BTB .359"-210g LFNGC/40.8g H4198/WLRP/Win Brass/2487 fps

These are top pressure loads for the 94BB, and should be reduced at least 5% before working up a load.  Best results were obtained with the H335 and H4198 in regard to accuracy.

Make sure that the bullets are seated to just engrave the rifling lightly when a loaded round is chambered.

Hope this helps!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thank you very much for posting these loads.  You see the 356 talked about so little and it is the only rifle I own.  I am a beginning reloader and I want to try some of these Beartooth Bullets.  I am still in the setup stages and I am reading all I can get my hands on....making my way through the Speer manual and I a need to read through the Lyman Cast Bullet book.  Does Beartooth offer any published data for the 356?I believe I want to try the 200 grain FN GC.  thanks for any help/advice and again for posting these loads.  Chris

·
Registered
440 Posts
Forgot to ask one question....would the shorter length of the 200 gr. FN GC for the 356 Win.hinder accuracy vs. the longer 210 grain FN?  You note the importance of seating the 210 to where it just engraves the rifling...looks like the 200 grain design makes the bullet shorter and I am wondering if this will make a difference in the accuracy dept.  If so, then maybe I am better off with the 210?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Chris,

We are in the process of putting together a very comprehensive loading manual using our bullets, from .22 Hornet through .600 Nitro.  Although not available yet, it should be available by late spring.

The .358"-200g FN is a very good choice with the .356 Winchester, but doubt that you will see any difference in case capacity with the two.   The seating depth here will be dictated by the bullet ogive, and the ogive on both the 200FN and the 210LFN are identical, just the nose is shortened on the 200g, thus giving a wider meplat!

Hope this helps, and we are willing to help in any way possible, just post your questions and there is a host of experience on this forum for you to draw upon!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi Marshall,

Thank you so very much for posting a response and for the information.  I will be anxiously awaiting that manual.  That will be just about the time that I will be set up reloading wise.   I think there might be a huge niche filled here for 356Win. shooters with these BTB's....there are so few manufacturers with any usable published data for that caliber....and these bullets seem to be the perfect style(heavy 200 grain w/ wide meplat).  Well, thank you very much again...and may God Bless you sir.  Chris

·
Registered
69 Posts
Marshall,
   I was trying to post a message last night when my computer had an electronic hickup.  Now that all's working again, I'm glad to come back and not find half a post here or that I caused your system a problem.  I very much appreciated your help when I posted a question about which .444 (Winchester or Marlin) to buy.  Well, I went shopping and found a Winchester Big Bore .356 in nearly new condition with brass for a very attractive price.  The .444 Marlin will have to wait until the rifle fund is built up some more.  I've had limited time to work with my new toy but have found it can do consistent 1.5" three shot, 100 yard groups with the 220 grain Speers.  One three shot group had all holes touching.  Pure luck there but it did cause a strange silence from the fellow on the next bench that had already expounded about how I'd be hard pressed to hit much with a lever action and 2.5X scope.
  I see your load information for your 210 gr. LFN.  What's your opinion of the 250 gr. LFN for the .356 Big Bore?  This will be primarily an elk rifle for me and will likely go to California later this year for a pig hunt.  Will I have a problem with loaded cartridge length with the 250 gr. in the .356?
   Thanks and God Bless,  Ed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts