Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,
Anybody out there have any experience with this caliber? I've been in touch with www.bainanddavis.com, cylinder conversions $150, and rebarrel a M94 in 44Mag is circa $500.
Not bad at all I'm thinking, though I have no clue as to what would be a fair and reasonable price.
Paco Kelly speaks highly of it, and www.singleactions.com has a good piece on the conversion. Any other input, ideas, etc would be appreciated.
Cheers,
R2

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
45-LCMan,
Cool, this'll be my first adventure into 'wildcatting', any problems neckiong down brass? And do you know of anywhere I can get some dimensions of the cartridge?
Also dies, Bain&Davis want $120 for a set of Custom RCBS, but I note that CH has 'em for about half the price.
Any load recommendations would be welcome as well. In my M94 I like Blue Dot, and 2400, and have begun to use H110 for hunting loads. Any experience with Lil' Gun in the caliber?
Cheers,
R2

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Edwin
Thanx for the Hornady tip, yep, listed in their Series IV dies.Titanium nitride coated I gather from ur post? WELL worth getting, case lubing is a PIA in my opinion. Very helpfull indeed sir! Lol, and now to push the envelope, :eek:), got a scanner? Love a copy of the dimensions if you'd care to post, sounds like we may have some interest.

Mike,
From what I can glean from around the net, the cylinder on the 357 Blackhawk is strong enuff to take the enlarged case of the 44Mag. And readily available in the dual cylinder 'convertible', so you'd be able to shoot either 38Spl., 357Mag and the 35-44 all from the same platform. For the larger 45 case, mebbe a custom 5 shot cylinder would be the go. In a lever gun, prolly wouldn't make a bit of difference, but fully custom reamer, dies, etc etc. You can even rent a reamer from www.rentalreamers.com for the B&D, and both CH and Hornady have dies listed circa $65 . Gary Reeder has his variation on the theme, the 356GNR, using 41Mag as the parent case, and built on a 41Mag revolver, but his guns, or work, ain't cheap, worth it if you can afford it by the looks of things. Investment quality for sure.
Lol, part of the reason I got started on all this, is I got a ever growing collection of 35cal moulds. Got 'castitis' bad here, now I'm lookin' for guns to fit my boolits, :eek:)
Like Ed in his last post, a short action lever approaching 35Rem would be neat, necessary??? Who cares! Damn, even thinking and researching this 'gunner get rountuit someday' project has already paid off in terms of the edjercashun.
Thanks very much for the input and experience gentlemen.
Cheers,
R2

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nitro,
Thanks for the gunparts tip, I'd looked there before, but musta' been doin something wrong with my search criteria. Now to find out if the available barrels are ballard or microgroove, I do NOT want the micro version. I'll give 'em a ring on Monday.
A straight drop in pretty much, after the chambering. This is looking very feasible, and with a stock barrel, cheaper than the $500 custom quote I've had.
Minor mods on the forend hardware ehhhhh. Sounds like you may have done something similar in the past?
reloadbench.com is a great resource, but no cartridge dimensions for the B&D yet, I've emailed them and asked for same to be put up.
Now the hunt begins for the platform.
Your input is much appreciated.
Cheers,
R2

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nitro,
Thanks! More grist for the mill.

Edwin,
Lol, I hear that! There's a lot to be said for giving it to somebody who's in practice. I'll keep juggling this stuff around in my head. At least when I get to a good gunsmith, I *may* be able to ask some pertinent questions.
It would be really lovely, IMO, to have a 24" octagon barrel in the caliber. And those extra inches will give a bit more fps.
By the looks of the load data that Nitro has so kindly posted,
my goal of circa 1500#'s of ME, a 180gr pushing 2000 fps, should be reached quite comfortably.

Cheers gentlemen, very helpfull and informative. I eagerly await ur dummy Ed!

R2

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gents,
Quite a thread going. Here's Paco Kellys article on the caliber.Like Edwin, I take data in some of the, shall we say, 'exuberant', articles with a healthy dose of same salt.
But it does appear to me, sifting thru, that the round is very capable of substantially improving ballistics over a 357Mag.
180gr at 2000fps for approx 1500#ME, this out of a 24" barrel would make me very happy. That's an increase of about 50% in delivered energy compared to my 150grHPGC that I've chronoed at the 1750fps mark, again, 24" barrel. Well worth having in a short action lever, IMO.
In a converted convertible Ruger, prolly be going for the 140-160gr range of projectile. The figures from Nitro's file on load data and velocities, and others, have me thinking that 1800fps shouldn't be too much of a problem in a 6.5" barrel.
I've just completed a quote to Clymer, nothing listed in stock for the B&D, but I'm on the hunt for a reamer.
Mike and Contender got good ideas on the dies, and there's Paco's solution at the end of his article. Cost of a custom reamer may be all that's necessary, and if a couple people get interested, we may be able to spread the cost around.
Lots of ideas, and great input! {:eek:)
Cheers,
R2:D

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Mike,
I started this and got sidetracked by the posts, and having a go on the clymertool.com site at designing a reamer.,,,,, so this ain't quite in sequence, but more info, and thoughts,,,,,FWIW.

That convertible bit got me too, LOL. $150 to ream one by www.bainanddavis.com. . Dies are availableoff the shelf from both Hornady and CH for $65. A relatively cheap way to get into the cartridge. Or go Paco's route for dies in the article posted in my other post. Course ur idea with a reamer has got to be a bit more elegant, and accurate. Lots of 44Mag brass available, and I got 35cal bullets from 95 to 200gr.

Contender,
Welllll, funny you should mention that, and Ed's right, a 35 Rem, IMO, is right in the same ballpark. But here's something I got while kicking around on the Marlin boards. Based on the 444Marlin, which I think is the 445Mag precursor. A 35-444 design, courtesy of Mr. Mushial of gmdr.com. No longer a short action, but should better the 356Win. I started looking around for a 336ER Marlin, and they're difficult to find. Seems to be more second hand guns in 444Marlin, both the Marlin and Winchester.
And lastly, but not least!, the ultimate lever wildcat, a 35-348IMP. Start on the 1895 45/70 and use that as the base.
SERIOUS grunt. And that reamer is already available.

Cheers all,
R2

· Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Gents, FYI;
Just got a response from Shawnie of www.reamerrentals.com. They will be adding the 357/44 B&D to their rental listing in 3-4 weeks. Solid piloted reamers to buy are circa $90.
Thanx again to all who have participated in this discussion, I've learned heaps!
Cheers,
R2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.