Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's pretty much it. Have any of you had any experience with either of these two calibers? Pros or cons to either one? Seems like a good low cost alternative to a 356 Big Bore Winchester. Maybe using a Winchester 94 in 357 mag as a starting platform???......  Both Calibers are listed in Cartridges of the world. Take a look and let me know what you think.
Thanks Much
Andre

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Since you are working with the Winchester M94, I would highly suggest the .35/.30-30 wildcat.  It takes full advantage of the M94 action and doesn't require any special case forming as with the .357 Herret.  

Now, since we're already into wildcat country, why not go yet a step further and go with the .35/.30-30 Ackley Improved version?  You'll get velocities nearly that of the .356 Winchester without having to buy expensive brass, and the action will handle the cartridge with no pressure concerns.   You would gain a full 14% over the standard .35/.30-30.  It gives you a broader powder selection as well due to the change in expansion ratios.

Just a thought, but I'd leave the .357 Herret as a faded memory, being the perfect solution to a non-existant problem!

Once again, my very biased opinon!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Marshall,
Thanks for the info! I think you are right, about the 35/30-30 being the better choice. When I posted the question, I didn't realize how different the two really were. At that point, I thought they were almost, one and the same. Having done more research since then, I realize, such is not the case. Has anyone done a 35/30-30 Improved (what a mouthful) that you know of? Sounds like a fairly easy principle, blow the case out to .357/.358 and put a ackley style shoulder on it. How much neck length would you say is the minimun for cast bullets? Also, do you think the .357 bore would be a problem when wanting to use bullets designed for the .358 bore rifles?
Thanks for the insight
Juan

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
#Moderation Mode

This thread was moved from the Levergun forum.

This is definitely Wildcat territory!

<a href="http://beartoothbullets.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=15&topic=4" target="_self">Moved here</a>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts