Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Scotland

I have recently discovered "lever guns" and like them alot, im currently awaiting the delivery of a Marlin .444p.

I would not be surprised if i end up with another lever rifle given time. I have noticed on a number of occasions the .357 lever rifle being given great praise for its game stopping ability.
Infact Marshall  speaks very highly of this cartridge in the lever rifle.

So can you tell me of "field experience" that has given you confidence in this round ?
I would also interested to hear what bullets and loads you favour for stopping game.

Regards Englander

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,315 Posts
In my .357 revolvers, I shoot a 185gr. cast bullet.  Has the WFN profile, meplat is .270-.280".  This is Marshall's bullet, you can see a picture of it in the bullet catalog.

Got a couple of deer with it a few years ago.  Haven't been able to find a hog to shoot.  When I get a lever .357 this will be the same bullet I will use.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have killed a lot of small game,several coyotes and two deer with a Marlin 357 magnum lever gun.My bullet of choice is Marshall's 185 grain cast wfn.The hornady 158 and 180 grain xtp bullets are good too.The 357 rifle is a dandy short range deer gun.Low recoil,minimal meat loss and still can be deadly on deer with a good bullet.The 357 magnum is a lot more capable than the ballistics table will lend you to believe.It is also dandy on small game.For small game I use 38 specials loaded with 158 grain lead round nose bullets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a .357 Marlin lever gun. I have killed numerous hogs with it, one being a 160+ lb. sow at about 65 paces (I am 6' 4", so my paces are larger than most) with a Federal Hydroshock 158gr. The bullet went straight through the chest and the hog ran about 50-60 yards. Another that I walked up on, 135 lb. boar at about 12 paces, I shot between the eyes, just destroyed the skull. That was with Speer 158 gr. jhp. Overall a very accurate little shooter. I have never used it for deer, but plan to.

Jim

·
Banned
13 Posts
My wife shoots a little Winchester 94 in .357 magnum for deer. We've killed a few head with it and it does a good job if the bullet placement is correct.

I'd like to rebarrel it to .38-55 but Herself won't have it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Nice info guys, and welcome to Beartooth!!!

Haggis, I like your signature. Guess you better get your own .357 Mag lever and have it rebarreled, huh?

·
Banned
13 Posts
I've few .30-30's that would take a it a great deal more kindly to to having their barrels changed to .38-55.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Englander,

I have recently have been doing most of my shooting with my Marlin 1894C in .357 and it is sweet rifle. I have taken anything from Squirrels to Deer with my .357 Mag rifles. The bullet I used last deer season was the Speer 158gr JSP "Unicore" in my handloads. I am thinking of changing to the Remington 158gr JSP for next season. I am also going to try some of the 185gr WFN they have here and see how they perform as well. I haven't used cast bullets that much for fear of leading but I hear of great success here. I think the .357 rifles are very accurate and are very affordable to shoot if you handload. I can load light loads as cheap as .22LR's! What are the laws regarding using such a cartridge in your country? The laws vary here in the states. It is ok to use for hunting deer here where I live and for that matter you can take deer with a handgun in that caliber as well as long as the barrel is 5.5 inches in length. I think you would be pleased with a .357 Mag rifle. I am partial to Marlins 1894C and 1894CP.

·
Banned
30 Posts
I'm a big fan of the 357 magnum in both a revolver, and the lever actions. I think it's very underrated, and possibly the most versital cartridge out there(if you're a handloader).

I've killed dozens of deer, and turkeys with the 357 magnum in both my 1894C, and my Ruger Blackhawk. I'm not a cast bullet shooter(hope that doesn't get me in trouble here?), but a lot of guys have great success with them on deer. I prefer a good balance of expansion, and penetration on larger game myself. My prefered deer load for a long time was 158g XTP-FPs at about 1700 fps(rifle). This past summer I experimented with Remington(bulk) 158g SPs. I took a deer with both my rifle, and revolver using these bullets, and (unless future findings dictate diferently) I'm fairly sure that I'll be sticking with these bullets for my deer hunting needs.

As far as smaller game, I've killed thousands of assorted game animals from squirrels up to deer.

My prefered load for everything exept deer is Remington 125g SPs at about 1400-1500 fps. With this load, I've killed everything from game for the table to predators. It gives plenty of stopping power on game, but usually doesn't blow up the hides on my predators. I shoot this load all year long, exept during deer season. By staying with the exact same load, it allows me to always have the same trajectory, therefore causing me to be more consistant with my shots on game.

·
Registered
15 Posts
just got my rossi 92 in 357 and am wondering about loads for the rifle vs. loads for the pistols: an sp101 snubby and a 6" coonan. will i be exceeding my pistols capabilities with hotter rifle loads? i have kept it real simple to date: 158 gr. swc with 6.8 gr. of win 231 - i don't hunt, just plink. the snubby likes this fine. not sure about the coonan as i am still dealing with stovepiping - i know - MORE GREASE! obviously the rossi won't find this load a challenge, but what if i load up some hot 180 or 200 gr. rifle loads and run them into the pistols? the stubby would probably handle just about anything; it's a tank in dwarves clothing. about the coonan i have no idea. have looked in loadswap and don't find my question addressed. any ideas are welcome as i strive to err on the side of safety. don e.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Don - I got myself a 16 1/2 BBL stainless Puma 92 last year. It is a blast to shoot! I tried loading 13.5gr of 2400 behind a 140XTP because that is also the same load I use in my SP101 "snubby". It delivers good accuracy and reasonable velocity without any signs of pressure. I've been working on a 158gr load and did find it shoots well with 185gr cast (PB) as mentioned here. While 2400 shoots quite well in my guns, I'll be trying H110 and Win296 (same powder, different label marketed by Hogdon) which usually gives higher velocities with top loads. I don't have a "Coonan", but I've always wanted one. To my knowledge, it was the only production .357 Magnum built on a 1911 frame. Where did you get yours, how does it function, how accurate is it, and how do you evaluate it overall? The .357Mag is really a pleasant round to shoot in a rifle where that sharp "blast" of a pistol is "tamed" considerably with a longer barrel and the recoil is practically "nile". Regards, Riley

·
Registered
15 Posts
riley, thanks for the info. will have to get back to you later on the coonan accuracy, etc.. i had clipped about 1/4 of the recoil spring off, thinking this might 'cure' the stovepiping. it didn't and decided to go back to a full spring. put in a wolfe and put about a pound of lith. grease in the innards. haven't shot it yet, but that will supposedly fix it - supposedly takes 500 rounds to break them in. they were factory tested with 30 rounds of federal before shipping, so it is either my handloads or the lack of lube that was the problem.

as to where, when, etc. i got it when i lived in napa, ca., in about '90. they weren't easy to get even then and i ended up with the 6" barrel model because that was all the dealer could get. i, too, will be interested in what it does. will post on it later. don e.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have killed a lot of small game,several coyotes and two deer with a Marlin 357 magnum lever gun.My bullet of choice is Marshall's 185 grain cast wfn.The hornady 158 and 180 grain xtp bullets are good too.The 357 rifle is a dandy short range deer gun.Low recoil,minimal meat loss and still can be deadly on deer with a good bullet.The 357 magnum is a lot more capable than the ballistics table will lend you to believe.It is also dandy on small game.For small game I use 38 specials loaded with 158 grain lead round nose bullets.
Bought a Marlin 1894 357/38 used.... Haven't shot it yet. Just put a 4x38 new Weaver (discontinued model)good price too, on it.... Want to load up some cast bullets for it and with the microgroove barrel.. Don't want to load anything hot...have a good supply of 38 brass so that I thought I would start with that. Any expience anyone??? THEFISH

·
Registered
326 Posts
Be careful about the .38 brass in a rifle because of chamber erosion. Just try .357 brass and load it down to .38 levels to obtain desired effect without the possible (probable) adverse side effects.

Just my .02, Ryan

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,315 Posts
Erosion won't be a problem with normal .38 special loads (we've hashed through this a few times), but it will leave crud in the chamber that needs to be cleaned out from time to time.

I just use .38 special loads, in .357 brass, to avoid any hassle.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Go fetch, that term would apply to a lot of old timers. Whether training a dog or male child. Me I would demand a .357 rifle if I had to start over again. Cause it would do most tasks I have wanted to do in the field for at least 50yrs. Would have rather hunted with a modern .357 Marlin Cowboy than a 44-40 winchester for my first deer rifle. I wanted a thirty thirty winchester. Oh well I have learned for I'm an obediant grasshopper.

·
Registered
87 Posts
. not sure about the coonan as i am still dealing with stovepiping - i know - MORE GREASE!
The factory manual for my old 5" Model B Coonan recommended Amsoil brand lithium grease, and a lot of it for the first 500 rounds. I used a white lithium grease from the local auto store and it ran like a top with not a single problem. Also my most often most accurate pistol. This is one of only two pistols that I regret selling. Standard loads often chron'd faster than the same loads in some 8 3/8" S&Ws. Noticably less recoil too, a very sweet pistol and it would have teamed up well with my EMF .357 M92. The EMF was tuned by Steve Young and is sweet, much more power than with handyguns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts