Shooters Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at reloading for my .357mag. I'm doing mostly cowboy action shooting but would like to use it for some hunting. My question is for CAS I'd like to use .38 specials and .357 mag for hunting, Do I need separate dies for each of these or can the same dies do both?

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
One set of dies will cover not only those two, but the 357 MAX, if you ever decided to get something chambered for that cartridge.

·
Super Moderator
14,172 Posts
Yes. Most are labeled .357/.38 Spl (though not necessarily in that order). Don't forget that .38 Special cases are shorter and that they will deposit some lead fouling in the chambers where the longer .357 case would normally cover them. That can cause .357 cases to fit tightly and raise pressures. Just be aware you need to clean that out after running the short cases and before running magnum cases.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Make sure its a 38 crimping die, you're not gonna crimp 38s with a 357 crimping dies. They are two long.

Better yet, to make perfect loads, get a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die, it will crimp both, BUT, it has a cribide ring at the base of the die that resizes the case as you pull it out of the die. This eliminates in buldges and makes for easier feeding into chambers.

·
Banned
327 Posts
I've never used a set of .38/.357 dies where the same crimping die didn't do both. It just changes how far down you screw in the die, same as with the belling and seating.

·
Inactive account
4,735 Posts
Yes, the same die set will do both cartridges. You will need to adjust the seater and expander die accordingly for the cartridge being reloaded. The instruction sheet which is included with the die set will explain how to make the adjustments or you can post your questions here and get answers. Suggest you obtain the carbide die set with the carbide ring in the sizer die as this is the most popular with reloaders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.