Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find a load for Alliant Blue Dot Powder for a 125g Hornady XTP. I also need the 158g same type info. Hornady doesn't list Blue Dot and Alliant doesn't list Hornady bullets. I'm wondering whose cornflakes got pee'd in, but I digress. I have a 2 yr old Hornady book for no help as well as older ones. Thanks in advance.

Biff

·
Registered
237 Posts
In 2000, I bent the Aluminium alloy frame of a 1969 Colt Agent 38 special with an overload work up of Blue Dot and 110 gr bullets.
I had just paid $365 for it:(
I recently got it running again with a copy of kuhnhausen in hand.
That was a sour lesson in how Blue Dot is a "peaky powder", not a forgiving powder H110 or Power Pistol.

So I fired thousands of shots [8 pounds at 15 gr per shot] of 223 35 gr ~ 35,000 psi.
That is very clean burning. Blue Dot works well at that pressure.
Then built another .223 last year and had a cleaning patch stuck the throat. The big long tactical bolt handle allowed me to chamber and fire.... 12 years later, another Blue Dot drama... the case was stuck in the bolt head, and 900 miles from home, the extractor fell in the sage brush.

I still believe in blue dot. I can fire all day and the cleaning patch looks like only one round was fired. But I have to be very careful with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmmm!

Thanks Gentlemen, that is important info and glad I got it before building bullets. That, of course, is why I asked that question here! I was sure to find wht it was I needed to know.
Thanks Again.\

·
Registered
354 Posts
Blue Dot and 357 Mag 125's do not like each other! Some 25 yrs ago this combo resulted in split cases and a ball-peen hammer to empty the cylinder of a once fine Colt Trooper. I should mention the load was" by the book" published data.
Blue Dot may have some practical applications for handgun loads, but steer around this curve very carefully.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
I am trying to find a load for Alliant Blue Dot Powder for a 125g Hornady XTP. I also need the 158g same type info. Hornady doesn't list Blue Dot and Alliant doesn't list Hornady bullets. I'm wondering whose cornflakes got pee'd in, but I digress. I have a 2 yr old Hornady book for no help as well as older ones. Thanks in advance.

Biff
Biff,

Many of us used Blue Dot in .357 loads for decades, and it worked well. But, there is a combination of load/bullet that has potential issues with pressure excursions.

I've had that experience, and 125gr bullets are the biggest problem. In my own case, it's loading at the low end. It's also a hard thing to duplicate. A long time friend and handloader has always used BD/125gr bullets in his .357's, thousands of rounds, and still does, and has never had a single problem. It's very efficient for hotter loads, especially with 110/125gr bullets.

So it's a matter of choice, and risk. I moved over to Herco, which is a bit more predictable, if a bit less as performance goes for general shooting in my .357's.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Don't let that sour you on using Blue Dot, however. You just have to respect its peculiarities.

I've used Blue Dot for more than 40 years, mostly in .45 ACP and .44 Spl/.44Mag. It works best with medium to heavy bullets in the high standard pressure to low magnum pressure area. It is exceedingly accurate and clean burning.

But, as others have noted, it has some specific load areas that you shouldn't venture into. 125 gr. .357 is one, and any .41 Mag load. Alliant has never seen fit to specify what the exact reason is and the warning they give has stood for 15 years or more. All the above notwithstanding, it is one of the best powders for comp work in .38 Super, 124 gr. and above in 9mm, 140 gr. and above in .357, 250 gr. SWC in .44 Spl/Mag, and 255 gr. in .45 Colt. I loaded close to 100k rounds of 45 ACP 230 gr. for combat pistol matches with it for nearly ten years.

To say I like Blue Dot would be a bit of an understatement.

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
Blue Dot is my second favorite powder for the .357. With the warnings Alliant published I've backed away from using it.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Blue Dot is my second favorite powder for the .357. With the warnings Alliant published I've backed away from using it.

Why? As long as you stay away from 125 gr. bullets (I'll include 110 gr. also), there is no problem. Based on my own experience, that follows right along with what I said about using medium to heavy bullets. Too many people are ready to throw a perfectly good powder over the side because it doesn't work with certain specific load combinations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts