Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I witnessed what can a .357 mag do when fired from a carbine. Let me state very clearly that I am NOT endorsing what I saw, much less  sugesting noone to do something alike.
  Now, to the facts: I was in a farm where some wild goats roam, and are legally game animals. There, a bull cattle - not a goat -was to be put to sleep, because of some obscure veterinarian reason. Whatever it was, did not seem to reduce the bull's vitality in no way. The poor animal seemed to know what was about to happen to him, and was behaving warily and agressive in his corral, a large one. The bull had already killed a horse - fortunately with no harm to the cowpoke, that showed to have admirable jumping abilities, and speed.
  The farmer asked me to loan my Puma .357mag. that was loaded with 180 gr. hard cast semiwadcutters and shoot the bull. I told him that the gun was obviously not up to the task, but he insisted that he was a very good shot, would aim to the brain  and only shoot when absolutely sure of the shot.
  Well, he shot when the bull was almost facing him, from a distance of some 30 yds, but not at the
forehead, but at the base of the neck.
   To make it short, the bull run for some 10 seconds, let go a bellow and fell down, tried to get up once, and layed down, dead.
  We found that the bullet had cut a long slice of the aorta, provoking a very massive and fast blood loss, creased the cava vein and was found, slightly mushroomed, between the bowels.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,315 Posts
Got a picture of the bullet?  That's impressive.  Any idea how much the total penetration was (feet/inches)?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the penetration was certainly over a yard, but I can not say exactly, because the bull was moved a lot before beeing skinned and abdomen opened. No bones were hit. The farmer kept the bullet with him.
  The load used a handloading manual prescribed maximum dosis of H110, and the bullet was cast of a mix half/half of lynotype and wheelweights, sized 358 and lubed with Lee's liquid alox.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Vary interesting bullet performance. I have been working with some 180gr. cast performance gas checks with a top end load of w296 that are accurate in my 1984cp, and from your report should work out will on deer.

oldpete

1 - 4 of 4 Posts