Shooters Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty sure about this, but just makin sure. A Mag is used mostly in revolvers and Sig is used in semi-autos. Do they perform differently? which would you rather use and why. What gun would you get if you could (preferably under $850:D) in either of these calibers, thanks guys. you all help me so much when i have to make a decision.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The .357 SIG usually in factory loads run hollowpoint bullets with either 125 gr or 147 gr loadings. The velocity is about the same as the .357 Mag with these bullets.

The .357 Mag in factory loads can go up to 180 gr bullets with softpoints or hardcast as options for hunting.

The .357 SIG can carry 12 + 1 in a full size gun. The .357 Mag can carry 8 max and usually 6 depending on the gun.

The .357 SIG is a great self defense round and the track record in those situations has been right on par with the .357 Mag. As far as a hunting round, I have only shot deer which someone else had wounded and it was a through and through head shot so not much to compare to there. I prefer the revolver for hunting as I think there is more versatality in the factory loadings for the Mag but love the SIG for a self defense round.

·
Registered
521 Posts
The sig and magnum loadings are pretty much the same in fps. But, the magnum has been down loaded a long time ago. I've read (and seen it in reloading manuals) that the original spec for the .357 was a 158 at 1,500. Now adays, you'll find em at about 1250. The defense stuff is often a 125 JHP at about 1250-1300, or there abouts. 1,500 fps is tough to control.

As mentioned, they are about the same...as loaded. But, if you want to hunt, there is a big dif to be had by reloading or by buying Corbon (a 125 at 1,400) or Buffalo bullets (a 180 at 1,400).
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=20
http://www.shopcorbon.com/CORandregBON-Hunter/300/300/dept

BTW, they also make good sig ammo.

In addition, you can shoot reduced .38s in a magnum.

So, for general use...the magnum has it beat. For volume of protection, the sig gets the nod. For the best bullet, on the target (most fps)...magnum (how many guys are you plannning on shooting, more that 4? After, that, they are going to have lead on you and it won't matter how many bullets that you have in the gun). For 2 out of 3 catagories, magnum wins it.

Let me tell you a secret...the three five seven magnum is heap big medicine and very tough to beat.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys. The specs help a lot. If you were going to buy a magnum, what would you get?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The sig and magnum loadings are pretty much the same in fps. But, the magnum has been down loaded a long time ago. I've read (and seen it in reloading manuals) that the original spec for the .357 was a 158 at 1,500. Now adays, you'll find em at about 1250. The defense stuff is often a 125 JHP at about 1250-1300, or there abouts. 1,500 fps is tough to control.

As mentioned, they are about the same...as loaded. But, if you want to hunt, there is a big dif to be had by reloading or by buying Corbon (a 125 at 1,400) or Buffalo bullets (a 180 at 1,400).
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=20
http://www.shopcorbon.com/CORandregBON-Hunter/300/300/dept

BTW, they also make good sig ammo.

In addition, you can shoot reduced .38s in a magnum.

So, for general use...the magnum has it beat. For volume of protection, the sig gets the nod. For the best bullet, on the target (most fps)...magnum (how many guys are you plannning on shooting, more that 4? After, that, they are going to have lead on you and it won't matter how many bullets that you have in the gun). For 2 out of 3 catagories, magnum wins it.

Let me tell you a secret...the three five seven magnum is heap big medicine and very tough to beat.
You're absolutely right that modern .357 mag loads (as well as .44 mag) have been watered down considerably. They are no where near what they used to be. Loaded to their potential, I believe the .357 mag will run away from the .357 sig.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you want the same times for repeat hits, you have to use the "watered down" 357's. If you "think" that speed of repeat hitting doesn't matter, you are too lost to bother talking with.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
If you want the same times for repeat hits, you have to use the "watered down" 357's. If you "think" that speed of repeat hitting doesn't matter, you are too lost to bother talking with.
Are you suggesting that full-power .357 loads have debilitating recoil? If you are, than I respectfully disagee with you. In the grand scheme of revolver recoil, the .357, no matter how loaded, is a virtual lightweight.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts

There are many factors that govern felt recoil such as the grip, grip angle, weight and balance of the weapon as well as the power of the ammo. IMHO & E the 357 in even a S&W M-19 with 158 grainers at 1400+ is not a bad kicker that would not allow a seasoned handgun to fire follow up shot rather quickly

·
Registered
12 Posts
The 357 sig is a great defensive and target round. When it comes to a woods gun it doesn't compare to the 357 mag. I have shot several wounded deer with the 357 sig and it was horrible. 357 sig is not a deer round IMO. I have a buddy who works at Sig. If you want a 40 S&W and 357 Sig combo you should buy a 40 S&W gun and then buy a 357 sig barrel for it. If you do it the other way around you will lose some accuracy. Something about the 40 S&W requires more tooling or something. When I bow hunt I carry a 357 mag with the cylinder loaded for bear down to rabbit, (hot stuff down to the 38 wadcutter.) A quick roll of the cylinder gives you allot of versatility.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. The specs help a lot. If you were going to buy a magnum, what would you get?
I think that has to do with what you will use it for, and carry requirements. If you want a .357 for woods carry, it's not as size limited as a .357 for concealed carry.

My .357 collection is small/tiny. A 4 5/8" BH, and a 3" M60. Neither would be a great concealed carry gun due to weight, for that I'd go with one of the Scandium frames. The BH would eat way more heavy loads that the M60, but the M60 is way nicer as a backpacker handgun. It depends.

If you don't have a .357 at the moment, and want a single gun for eveything, I would lean towards a M60/SP101 with a 3" barrel. My opinion. If you want to hunt with it and carry it in the boondocks off season, a Ruger GP100 or S&W 686 with a 4" or longer barrel and adjustable sights might be a better choice.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have a Glock 32c which is a 357sig, a S&W 686 in 357 mag, and a TC Contender in 357 max. The 32c is a great carry gun and I have take a whitetail buck with it. I won the 686 in a raffle and my wife kind of fell in love with it so I don't get to carry it much, but it is a shooter. If I had to choose a 357 for carry and hunting it would be a 4" S&W mod 19. The mag is a more versatile gun you can go from 38 special wc to full power mag loads. With the Sig you are limited to just a few bullet choices and loadings and they are a tad bit expensive and harder to find.

·
Registered
102 Posts
mt vote is for the 357mag.

40 S&W gun and then buy a 357 sig barrel for it. If you do it the other way around you will lose some accuracy. Something about the 40 S&W requires more tooling or something. When I bow hunt I carry a 357 mag with the cylinder loaded for bear down to rabbit, (hot stuff down to the 38 wadcutter.) A quick roll of the cylinder gives you allot of versatility.

as to the accuracy problem not true the barrels are tooled the same the only difference is the bore. most people cant go from one caliber to the next without some difference in preceived accuracy, usually due to recoil for followup shots. i carried both 40 and 357sig in lawenforecment for nearly 20 years and and am a glock armorer, and after many thousands of rounds thru both the accuracy thing just is not so.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Get the .357 Magnum in an auto loader. I've owned two Coonan model B's in the past and Coonan has started saleing them again this year. 8+1 rds in the gun and the velocity from the 5" bbl is equivalent to a 6" revolver (no bbl gap, and that 5" includes the chamber) I used to shoot ISPC with mine during the 90s.

www.coonaninc.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts