Shooters Forum banner

357 Magnum and 10mm carbine comparison

27K views 58 replies 24 participants last post by  TMan 
#1 ·
It pretty much accepted that the 357 Magnum and 10mm are ballistic twins when shot from handguns but what about from a carbine? Wouldn't the 357 magnum get a bigger boost from the longer barrel since the 357 case is bigger and can take advantage of slower burning powders? It's hard to find any 10mm rifle info on the net but I'm guessing the added velocity from a longer barrel isn't nearly as significant as that of the 357.

#37 ·
The majority of 10mm bullets are designed to be shot at handgun velocities, where there are actually a few good choices for .357 bullets that will perform correctly at higher speeds. In a carbine or rifle length firearm I would have to give the nod to the .357 magnum. If people want to know what 10mm bullets do at 2000fps and above just ask my brother-in-law about his 10mm wildcat. In hind sight he said he would have chosen a different caliber. Even Hornady 200gr xtp's won't stay together. He is experimenting with 300gr cast lead now in hopes of a deep penetrating bullet that will mushroom.

#39 ·
I've been loading for and shooting 10mm's since 1987 IMR800X is the powder for this round it bumps up performance to a league of its own.

I have the following 4 10mm's right now

Colt Delta Elite 6" barrel
Glock 20 5" barrel
Glock 29 4.25" barrel
18" T/C Contender carbine barrel

With IMR800X I have pushed 135gr Nosler JHP's to 1825fps in the 6" Colt this same load if I remember correctly does 2300fps in the 18" barrel.

Due to the performance I get from the 10mm cartridge I have no desire to own a 357 mag unless it is a SST 5 shot 5" barreled S&W J-Frame.

This link should take you to my velocity info @ Glock Talk 10mm Reloading forum that Carphunter compiled a few years ago.

10mm Carbine load data and info - Glock Talk

#40 ·
And now in 2020 we have the new contender. The 350 Legend that spanks them both. Shoots 147 to 180 gr boolits. And best of all, it is capable of 1moa at 100 yards and is effective out to 200 yards. It is similar in one way to the 300 BO in that it doesn’t bleed off much energy with a 12 inch barrel from a 20 inch barrel,and can be chosen in an AR platform or 3 different bolt action rifles. A BFR revolver may be in the making. One last point. Cheep plinking ammo.

#41 ·
Wowzers talk about thread revival but timely... :)

I'm right now talking with both SSK and MGM I'm looking at buying a new 14" T/C Contender barrel was thinking 35 Rem, 7-30 Waters, 7mmBellm, 30-30, 308Bellm, 309JDJ for my 12 year old son to hunt with.

If that 350 Legend is a 150 yard deer capable combo it just might be the answer I have been looking for.

and yes I still shoot my 18" 10mm Contender had it out a couple times last week I only have my Colt Delta Elite and G29 for handguns right now though.

#42 ·
Recoil might be a tad much for a 12 year old.... I have little experience with Contenders, but remember being surprised at how much recoil the lowly .30-30 had! Certainly manageable with practice, but maybe something to be aware of when you start.

If I was going to go .35 cal in that platform, might as well get the .35 Rem and get all the performance you can. The "Legend" may be a legend in the mind of its creator, I'm thinking...... Personal opinion, of course.

#44 ·
Check out something called the "357 Maximum." 6 or 8 years ago when you could get 357 barrels for single shot shotguns.... there was the ability to get a reamer to lengthen the chamber and you could use these "extra long 357 cases" which held a lot more powder.... I believe the newly provided quantity was equal to powder capacity of 30-30 rifle and the performance of 30-30 could be equaled.

very similar in concept to rimfire 22 short and 22 long rifle

#47 ·
I didnt say 1200 could not be achieved. I said it cannot be done within published SAMMI pressure limits.
Would guess 1200 fps with 220 at 40K psi

Which website are you referring to? Please supply link. They could incur liability if they are publishing the load recipes that result in hi FPS numbers.

#53 ·
Why not? I'll throw my dunce cap in the ring...:rolleyes:
From what I've read, .357s tend to work best out of a 16in. barrel, reaching into the KE levels of lower energy .223 Remington loads. Of course, it's a heavier bullet, so it doesn't shoot as flatly, yada, yada...
Anyway, I forget a lot of what I've read about 10mm, but I think it might have higher muzzle energy which bleeds off faster, since it's heavier. I'd rather choose it for closer ranges if I need to kill quickly, but I'd rather choose .357 for general purpose. Gimme a moment and I'll look up people who have those pretty numbers on the screen.

#55 ·
The 357 will normally shoot the same weight bullet faster than the 10mm. Neither of the rounds are sluggish or "super fast" but you can definitely take advantage of slower burning powders in the 357.
I don't own a carbine but my 6" Ruger will reach 1600 fps while retaining good accuracy with 140 grain bullets. This is a near maximum load but the cases fall out of the cylinder under their own weight.
The limiting factor for the 10mm is case capacity. You can't use H110 or the other slower powders due to the pressure constraints placed on the auto-loading characteristics of the guns. While the carbine length barrels will add to the velocity potential the 357 will probably be faster with the right load.

#57 ·
Some chronograph results for a few of my most used 38/357 loads-

The .357 Magnum Carbine, Perfected | The Sixgun Journal

"After some research I settled on a maximum load of 19.0 grains of Winchester 296 using CCI Magnum small primers and the menagerie of nickel .357 cases in my brass pile. So it was time to see how much I’d lost by settling for the 16” barrel. I set up the BetaMaster and checked a few loads from the Rossi and Colt Lawman. Results were better than expected."

"The aforementioned XTP load generated 2000 fps, +/- 5 fps depending on the brand of case used. The Colt averaged 1240 fps with this load."

"Federal’s old 158 grain 357 jacketed softpoint averaged 1729 fps from the 16” Rossi and 1173 fps from the Colt."

"My dwindling stash of Alaska Backpacker 200 grain LBT’s produced 1430 fps."

"Remington’s 125 grain JHP averaged 2101 fps from the Rossi and 1418 fps from the Colt."

"My current cast bullet .38 load uses a Missouri Bullet 125 grain RNFP and 5.3 grains of HP38, with a CCI standard small pistol primer. The Rossi 92 averaged 1065 fps with this load and the old Lawman spits them out at 815 fps. They are essentially a 36 caliber version of the 22 LR. Recoil with these loads was barely noticeable end even the hottest loads were a cake-walk in the Model 92."
JWP is dead right on the advantages of bigger heavier bullets on meat and bone. My sig line on another forum-

The only thing muzzle energy ever killed was time that could have spent shooting meat and learning something about how bullets work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.