Shooters Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be starting to work on .357 Maximum loads using Hornady 158 and 180 gr xtp jhp, w296 and cci small rifle primers (as soon as my order for brass arrives).

Anybody out there load the .357 Max and have any other suggestions for powder/bullet combinations?

All the data I have read has me leaning towards 19 gr of 296 for the 180s and 23 for the 158s.

These are for an 8 inch DW Supermag.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I've only loaded for it in a TC 14". For best results you should use 180-200 gr bullets. I shot a lot of steel awhile back and this is where the shooters who used the Dan's got the best accuracy. The powder that has performed best for me is AA1680. I shoot 180 gr Remington HP's and a Saeco #356 which is a 200gr FPGC that I drop out of a 4 cavity cast with water quenched WW alloy. Big lead bullets work great in this cartridge, but a gas check is a very good idea. The TC, when it had a scope on it for load development, would put those Saecos into less than 3" at 200yds. I've seen groups nearly that small with iron sights, from a revolver like yours, shot on a ram target! That group was shot by someone who always beat me though. :)

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Exflatlander,
If I dig around a bit, I've got a sihoutte book, like a Shooter's Bible style, that has data that was developed in the revolver you have. The book was written by Elgin Gates. I'll look for it and send you some data from it, if you want. Just let me know. You've given me the bug to get one of these again. Evil man. I went to the Dan Wesson website and saw that they're making a good 1911 in 10mm Auto which is going to be the next purchase, no matter what. You may want to try the Remington 180's if you want a shooting bullet for less money, they're available in bulk and have always shot well out of my TC and Dan Wesson .357 Mag revolver.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kciH,

Thanks for the offer, all info will be appreciated. I sort of fell into this gun as I started loading .357s and figured I already had all of the necessary components short of brass so why not.

I also have a Winchester .307 and .375, so I am used to loading calibers that are basically off of the market.

If you check the DW site, you'll notice that they are also making a new gun between the .357 mag and .357 max (they are calling it the DW .360).

My latest lust-after I tripped over today, a DW .375 Supermag to match my .357 Maxi (8" blue vented shroud) , basically a shortened, 375 Winchester in a wheelgun - would be a nice addition to my growing lot of fine "obsolete" calibers :D

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
That .375, like all Dan Wessons, is exceptionally accurate. I'd go for the .445 myself. If you're gonna spend a grand on a revolver, it might as well be a big one. If you want one that was obsolete before it started, you can always get the .414 Supermag, another tremendously accurate round. It's funny, the rounds that are only chambered in DW revolvers all seem to be tremendously accurate as a rule. The new revolver are supposed to surpass the quality of the earlier ones before the last bankrupcy.

It's kind of funny that .375 Winchester never came into it's own until people started shooting it in T/C's I had a chance to buy a new in the box Model 94 in .375 this fall for $375. I should have bought it, if for no other reason than to sell it. I kind of want one, maybe I should call the guy and see if he still has it. Not exactlly a optiimal Nebraska deer round, unless you're hunting the 160 acres of timber that exists in the state.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kciH,

What has piqued my interest in the .375 Supermag is that it is basically a shortened .375 Winchester.

The brass can be made from .375 Winchester (which means it can also be made from cheap 30-30 brass) and the one I am looking at can be had for less than half of the 1k needed for a new DW.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
If you can get it for that price, I'd jump on it. but be prepared for some time-consuming brass creation. You may have to inside ream the .375 Win cases to make it work after you've trimmed them. A trim die would be in order here, or a high speed tubing cutter (like the ons for arrows or bullet jackets) followed by case trimming.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I finally found the book. There is info for the Hornady 180gr FMJ,Speer 200gr FMJ,Hornady 200gr SP,180grSierra 180gr FPJ, Lyman 210gr (no number) and a RCBS 35-200FN. If you let me know I'll give the data for what you want.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kcih,

The data for the 180's will do for now, I have a box of Hornady's to load.

I want to try and tame this beast with the lighter bullets before I move up in weight.

The recoil from the 180's I've loaded so far is enough for now.

Thanks again,

By the way, I lossed out of the .375 (just as well - my safe is full enough for now).

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Exflatlander,
The following data is from The Gun Digest Book of Metallic Sihouette Shooting 2nd Edition. Use it at your own risk and be sure to use safe handloading procedures while using it.

I have used some of this data and it proved to be safe in my TC. I used Remington brass and Federal 205 primers. Please not that you need to use small RIFLE primers in the 357 Max.

Federal brass was used to develop all load data
Federal 205 (Small Rifle Match) primers used to develop all loads.

This load data was developed in the Dan Wesson 40V8S (8") and the Seville Stainless Silhouette (10.5")

Sierra 180gr FPJ 19.0grs H4227 1320fps in DW
Sierra 180gr FPJ 19.5grs H4227 1368fps in DW
Sierra 180gr FPJ 20.0grs H4227 1423fps in DW

Sierra 180gr FPJ 17.0grs AA#9 1346fps in DW
Sierra 180gr FPJ 18.0grs AA#9 1388fps in DW

Sierra 180gr FPJ 18.1grs H110 1286 in DW
Sierra 180gr FPJ 19.0grs H110 1348 in DW
Sierra 180gr FPJ 19.5grs H110 1364 in DW
Sierra 180gr FPJ 20.0grs H110 1402 in DW

Hornady 180gr FMJ 21.0grs H110 1564fps in Seville
Hornady 180gr FMJ 21.5grs H110 1572fps in Seville
Hornady 180gr FMJ 22.0grs H110 1605fps in Seville (noted as max)

Hope this helps. There is also data for WW680, but the powder has been discontinued. There is a little more data for some 200 and 210gr cast bullets as well as 200gr jacketed. I have found that the recoil difference between 180gr and 200gr bullets in this caliber are hard to detect. The recoil of the TC is worse than a revolver in general, despite the 14" barrel. I shoot 180gr Jacketed and 200gr Cast. The Remington 180's are available in bulk for VERY reasonable prices and have been accurate in my TC. I get mine from www.lockstock.com because they are in my home state and none of the local shops carry much variety in bullets. They are about $9/100 or $42/500. Better than $12/100 for most of the others. You may want to try some heavy cast in this gun if you cast, or you can get some from BTB. This round has very legitmate hunting applications.

If you have any more questions let me know.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kcih,

Thanks again for the data.

·
Registered
42 Posts
exflatlander,

The data for the 180 Sierra is good, and maybe up to 21 grains of H4227, start at 18 gr and work up. I have had several DW 357 Super Mags, and each is different. Some may not be able to take the powder charge as the other. Hornady 180 grain bullets work good in the DW. I think I tried them all. The gun will tell you which it likes best!

The Seville loves the Hornady 200 grain 358 bullet, but case needs to be cut to 1.450, loaded with 20 gr WW 296 w/taper crimp- 1410 fps avg, 5.4sd. I shot this and won a lot with it.
Do not use this load in the DW! It only worked in the Seville(stronger gun).

Proceed with Caution, watch the pressure signs, and remember some of these powders you're looking at, especially 2400 and 296 are temperature sensitive, and you'll be at the upper edge of this case's limits to do what you're doing. May all your Rams fall.

Have Fun Shooting,
Jon

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ditto?

I would like to have my T/C 12" .357mag rechambered for the Maximum. If you could give me any load info that would help me alot thanks :) Guy QUOTE=Contender]I have a 10" TC rechamber in the Max and really think it is and excellent chambering both recoil and power-wise if loaded correctly.

Here is a link to a past thread on the subject:

http://shootersforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1368

Regards[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
14 Posts
Not sure of present availability, and I just sold mine, but I used a RCBS mould for 200 gr bullets, a JDJ/SSK for 200s, and Lymans for 215 and 245 bullets.

The 200s were great, the 215 was my favorite for IHSMA uses. A 162 RCBS cast was a good, low recoil load for up to 150meters at most ranges, was too light for the rams at 200 meters.

Used nothing but 5744 for powder in all loads, just kept life easier to use one powder for all. And my Seville liked it a lot.

My thought are why are you shooting a big case if you don't want to throw a big bullet?

·
Banned
111 Posts
I would like to find some .357 max subsonic loads for 50 foot and 25 yard targets.

I have tried .38 special wadcutters in the .357 max and the results are not quite up to what I would like to have.

Has anyone tried the bulky but moderate "Trail Boss" powder of "cowboy action" fame? It would fill the big "Max" case yet might give lead wad-cutters serious accuracy.

???

1 - 16 of 16 Posts