Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a Ruger Number 1 in .357 mag. I want to stick a reamer in it and convert to .357 Maximum. I was wondering if anyone has made this conversion and if they have shot .357 magnum rounds and still had good accuracy? I have had two or three handguns chambered for the Maximum and always thought it would make a good single shot rifle round. Increase in velocity should be considerable over the revolvers considering cylinder gap and barrel length.

lv2hnt1

·
Registered
32 Posts
In a 14" barrel a 180-grain bullet reaches 1968 fps from Accurate data. Due to the limited case capacity and expansion ratio I wouldn't expect the velocity gain to be substantial going up to a 22" barrel, probably no more than another 150 fps or so. Still, I bet it makes a great rifle round.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
I concur with 321 on velocity gain in a carbine barrel. This is an excellent round in a single-shot anything.

Do pay attention to throat configuration tailored to the bullets you will be using.

The throat configuration on some reamers amounts to a short Funnel that does nothing for accuracy/bullet alignment.

Some reamers are designated "alternate" throat. Basically a gradual tapered ball seat. This is the one you want for a fixed chamber gun. Not the revolver cylinder clone configuration.

Accuracy with Spl/Mags is a gun to gun occurrance. I would simply download Max cases for what performance you want. Keeps the chamber cleaner. Treat it like the old 38 Ballard Extra Long. Max brass is still widely available (REM). Lay in a good supply and you'll have it for an extremely long time.

Good Luck with your project.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
jseptien,
if you go ahead with this project, please let us know how it works out. The Max is my favorite straight walled pistol round. I like the versatility it offers from vermin to deer with excellent results. You might want to check some resources and see what the twist rate for the TC barrels is compared to the twist of your .357 Mag #1. My TC barrel shoots everything from 110 & 125gr JHP's to 180gr Hornady SSP's 200gr cast with great accuracy....so if the Ruger twist is the same it should work well for you.

Good luck with your project. How hard is it to find a #1 in .357 Mag?

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
KciH,

The TC 35 cal barrels mostly run under .357" groove diameter and a twist of 1-14".

You are right, they will stabilize virtually anything in this cal.

Regards

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Contender,
have you ever tried this in a TC Carbine barrel? That would be the inexpensive way for me to play with it. I could have Fred from Bullberry make me one.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
Or Mike at OTT. Just send him your own pipe or let him get you one. ;)

Nope, haven't tried it yet in a carbine. Was actually looking for a Handi Rifle chambered for it (fits me better, long arms) but would really rather rechamber a Mag Handi instead to get a good throat.

This round would lend itself to black powder like the old Ballard cartridge or light smokeless loads like Unigue with a nice 200gr lead bullet for playing around with.

In the Contender I love all the rounds based on this case diameter. So many ways to go with a good safety margin as far as case thrust.

Got a 6.5 barrel on the 50R Mag case getting started soon.

Regards

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reamer for .357 Max

Contender said:
I concur with 321 on velocity gain in a carbine barrel. This is an excellent round in a single-shot anything.

Do pay attention to throat configuration tailored to the bullets you will be using.

The throat configuration on some reamers amounts to a short Funnel that does nothing for accuracy/bullet alignment.

Some reamers are designated "alternate" throat. Basically a gradual tapered ball seat. This is the one you want for a fixed chamber gun. Not the revolver cylinder clone configuration.

Accuracy with Spl/Mags is a gun to gun occurrance. I would simply download Max cases for what performance you want. Keeps the chamber cleaner. Treat it like the old 38 Ballard Extra Long. Max brass is still widely available (REM). Lay in a good supply and you'll have it for an extremely long time.

Good Luck with your project.
Where can my gunsmith look to rent a reamer for this project? I'm not willing to purchase a reamer for a one-off attempt. Secondly, where can I locate more .357 Max Brass?
lv2hfnt1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More on the .357 Max/Ruger 1

O.k., getting lots of food for thought here. I'm really interested in some clarification regarding the reamer. Why would a standard pistol reamer not work in the rifle conversion? It sounds like the length of the throat is going to be critical. Although my original dealings with the Max were in a TC, Seville Revolver (extremely accurate) and a Dan Wesson, I experienced the same consitant accuracy with all bullet weights I used up to and inlcuding some .35 caliber bullets too 200 grains. I just don't want to make any mistakes as the number one was a little expensive and I do want it to shoot, not just go bang!

lv2hnt1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kciH said:
jseptien,
if you go ahead with this project, please let us know how it works out. The Max is my favorite straight walled pistol round. I like the versatility it offers from vermin to deer with excellent results. You might want to check some resources and see what the twist rate for the TC barrels is compared to the twist of your .357 Mag #1. My TC barrel shoots everything from 110 & 125gr JHP's to 180gr Hornady SSP's 200gr cast with great accuracy....so if the Ruger twist is the same it should work well for you.

kciH,
give me some idea what you mean by great accuaracy. I'm interested in 100yd groups off a bench, five shot, center to center. I have had experience with many Number 1 Rugers and found them, except the pre-prefix guns to be very "all over the board" so to speak. Another words some shooting .5" and under and some lucky to keep it under 1.5".

lv2hnt1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kciH said:
jseptien,

kciH,
This is only the second #1 that I have seen at a gunshow in .357 Mag. I have seen them in gunshops but out of state and at ridiculous prices. I got this one only because the owner wanted something I had and the #1 was the only thing that interested me. We traded straight up.
Good Trade! (Dances with Wolves, remember the scene about his hat and the knife?)
lv2hnt1

·
Beartooth Regular
1,184 Posts
jseptian,

Message me with your e-mail addy and I will e-mail you a great article on chambering/loading for the Max.

I can also recommend a good 'smith to talk to about the chamber/throat in the Max.

Regards

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with Contender... get someone who knows what they're doing. You want someone who can throat the chamber with experience on tight tolerances and many other variables that can affect accuracy. Look up Mike Bellm's info on rechambering contenders (he says there he's got thousands of reamers) Fred at Bullberry also a great source on custom barreling. I wouldn't just toss a reamer at a gunsmith. You got one barrel, don't take a chance with it.

·
Banned
270 Posts
kciH said:
Contender,
have you ever tried this in a TC Carbine barrel? That would be the inexpensive way for me to play with it. I could have Fred from Bullberry make me one.
I have one that I had made up by Virgin Valley in carbine length. Its alot of fun as a carbine and shoots excellent. I haven't used anything lighter than 180 gr. in it. Mine is 22" SS that will get almost 2100 fps with 180 gr. bullets and 1950 w/200gr. jacketed..........it was however far from "inexpensive".

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ruger #1 in 357 mag

Rifle is to rare to do anything with. Very dam few made without a the CHP logo and only about 1800 with the logo. I have dones lots of research but Ruger itself is not a lot of help. Get a New England Fireams in 357 and convert it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes! Third gold strike in first 30 minutes of membership on Shooter's Forum! An excellent thread for my new quest ... 357 Maximum cartridge reloading and performance. Thanks Guys!

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
Yes! Third gold strike in first 30 minutes of membership on Shooter's Forum! An excellent thread for my new quest ... 357 Maximum cartridge reloading and performance. Thanks Guys!
If you want to strike gold, when it comes to the 357 Maximum, research a Mr. David White, Riflesmith. He's done more with the 357 Max than many would even believe.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
One of my friends did a lot with rechambering Ruger #1's in .357 Magnum into .357 Maximum when Indiana was still restricting rifles to pistol-only calibers. I think he lurks on here sometimes; hopefully he'll chime in and give you some advice.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts