Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so with some extra cash lying around after the holidays, and a nice gift card to my favorite gun shop from my brother, I'm looking for a .357 revolver. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
For me a 4" S&W 686 or GP100 would work or a single action Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk.

·
Registered
816 Posts
It really depends on what you are looking for in a revolver. There are so many models with different frames, grip styles, sights, and finishes. Such as S&W model 13, 19, 65, 66, 686, 586, etc. Ruger GP100, GP101, Colt Python and the list goes on. A little more information might be helpful such as your budget, likes and dislikes are far as sights, grip style, finish etc. and maybe what you intended to do with it, like home defense, concealed carry, target shooting, or otherwise.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Ruger GP100, it'll serve great as home defense and target practice and last a couple of lifetimes.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
The first .357 I bought was a GP100.
Then a Taurus snubbie.
Then a Ruger Security Six.
Then a Ruger OM blackhawk.
Then a Ruger Speed Six.

I didnt count the one I bought for my wife in there. but I bought her a Security Six as well.

You need one or two yourself Id guess.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Range Junkie, my budget isn't an issue. If something is a little over what I'm currently planning on spending, I'll just hold off a couple weeks to save up the extra cash (Yeah, being single does have some perks to it)

As far as use, it'll be brough to the range, and used for home defense. It won't be a carry gun (those are my M&P and my 642)

I guess when it comes to the rest (grips, style, sights, etc..) I'll have to do a little hands on research at the shop. Right now, I'm just looking for some ideas, and you guys have given me atleast 1 to look at, the GP100. Until this morning, I didn't even know it was an option (the curse of being a new shooter coming from a family that didn't have guns growing up, I'm still shocked at the sheer amount of styles and models out there)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Don't overlook the Ruger SP101. It comes in either 5 or 6 shot cylinders. The 5-shot is my go to for comfortable IWB concealed carry.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lion, the SP101 looks a little smaller than what I'm looking for. My early ideas have been being based off the S&W 686 6"

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Sionce it is a "night stand" and range gun there are two clear choices and many others (less clear) a 4" to 6" S&W 686 or Ruger GP100.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,219 Posts
Ther's really only one clear choice. A 6" Ruger KGP161. I had one, now I have a GP161. I actually like it better.

RJ

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Hard to beat a GP-100 with a 4" barrel. Strong as a tank, accurate as any .357 out there, and won't set you back a months wages.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Dinosaur vote here. If you like single action and accurate look for a Ruger Blackhawk, preferably with 6" barrel. Range use and hunting either one is a blast. New Model Blackhawk gives you the advantage of shooting 38 spcl, 357 mag and 9x19mm Parabellum.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If you plan on shooting a lot of hot handloads go for the GP 100, if not go for the S&W 686. I have owned both and like the smith's much better.

·
Registered
816 Posts
For your uses I think a S&W 686 in your barrel length or choice would be a good buy. I would discount one of the Ruger's either if you happen to find on that catches your eye and you can't get for a decent deal. Personally my favorite is the Colt Python, but you will pay out the nose for one and it really won't serve you any better than a Smith or Ruger, it's just more of personal like of mine. Good luck with your search and let us know what you end up with.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It'll be a little before I actually make my choice, but during my lunch break today, I went to the store and took a nice long look at the 686, and man, it felt like it was made for my hand. I think we may have found a winner (they didn't have the GP100 in stock, I'm going to try to find one and see how it feels before I make the purchase though)

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
You better buy that quick then, because if you pick up a Ruger, you won't want to part with it at all. :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
I tend to like the older stuff. Nothing like a Smith and Wesson model 28 in 4", a 27 in 3 1/2" or a 66 in 4". These can be found on gunbroker or if you have the money to spend you can check out all the NIB ones over at fugate firearms.

I have a small collection of around 10 of these old Smith's. They can get pretty addictive.

Model 27

Model 28

These were both made pre 1980.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts