Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be Hog hunting this spring and carry a .50 cal muzzleloader and my SP101 3 inch as back-up. Can you suggest a good .357 load for my pistol. The pistol will only be as a last resort to stop a mad hog under 20 yards because you only get one shot with the muzzleloader. Im leaning toward the Buffalo Bore 180g flat nose.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have a 3" SP101 and if I could that would be the load I would use. But that is too hot for me. As crazy as this sounds, I would carry the 150 grain hard cast wadcutter .38 special standard pressure from Buffalo Bore.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Both the 180 grain Buffalo Bore and the Double Tap 200 grain bring tears to my eyes just thinking about the recoil in my 27 ounce SP 101. I have to down-load .357 with my SP 101 and a hard cast 148 grain wadcutter will penetrate real good at around 1,200 fps. The key is getting a hard cast DEWC not a soft swaged lead bullet. The bullet sold here by Beartooth would be the perfect bullet. I would not be surprised to see it penetrate 4 feet.

·
Registered
827 Posts
If you don't handload, Federal makes a Cast Core 180 grain hard cast and Cor-Bon a 180 grain bonded core at lower velocities which would still penetrate extremely well.

If you do handload, you can load up some Beartooth bullets, either the 160 gr Fn or 185 gr Fn to a power level you can shoot comfortably.

Andy

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
I too have the 3" SP-101 357 and the 'high velocity' 158's are brutal. Some factory 180's (don't remember the make) were much better to shoot. I did get some 165 gr FNBB's from Beartooth although have only run 2 cylinder loads through the reloading press and the gun. Accuracy was fine though I've done no penetration tests. Have to think they'll (the Beartooths) do better than std factory 158 gr fodder. I think there is a sane compromise in bullet weight and velocity with the 101, and some of these loads are best suited to the larger 357's, like the GP-100.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,720 Posts
Your basic 180gr. cast bullet will work well. Recoil may be brutal but hey it beats letting a hog chew on your leg :eek:

My handloads are the Beartooth bullet, but pretty much an exact duplicate of the Federal CastCore load. I'm sure the specialty manufacturers would be fine, as well.

Good luck and hope you shoot a big stinky one!!!!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I would think a good 158 hardcast load would be more then enough for anything under 300 lbs! For 300 plus pigs go with a hardcast 180 gr! You want brutal shoot 454 Casull there isn't anything brutal out of a 357 Mag anything! Girly man!:D

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
You either underestimate or have not shot the SP 101 with Buffalo Bore "Heavy .357 Magmum" ammunition. Now I also have a 13 ounce S&W M&P 360 .357 scandium J frame. Just looking at that gun hurts. Definitely a gun that needs milder reloads. Most .454 's are north of three pounds.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
If you can take the recoil go for it. Heavy loads out of my Ruger BH hurt so I can imagine the SP101. I shoot a lot of the 160 gr hard cast swc at around 1200 fps. These are plenty powerful enough and pretty easy on the hands.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have shot the BTB 185g bullet from a 2" smith .357 and nailed the gongs at ten yards. It will shoot just fine from the ruger and provide the effects you want. I'd go with the buffalobore if I didn't load my own.

My load makes over 1700 fps from my 16" winchester to give you an idea.

Grizz

·
Registered
167 Posts
I shot a lot of 158 jsp, and Lyman 358156 hard cast bullets out of my SP-101 over 10.0 grains of Blue Dot. I liked that load a lot in the small gun. I think I was still north of 1100 fps, and muzzle blast / recoil were very managable. The load was also very accurate. I'm keeping my open for another one now.... my son has my old one. With that gun, I'm not sure the 180 grain, and heavier bullets would add much. I do like them out of my longer barreled guns, and carbines though.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Something tells me if a wounded hog is about to go all Pumba on you, the amount of recoil your backup gun generates will be the furthest thing from your mind. Just make sure you choose a hardcast bullet and don't worry a whole lot about the weight or velocity. At the range indicated by an attacking porker, you just want something that WILL penetrate.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would think a good 158 hardcast load would be more then enough for anything under 300 lbs! For 300 plus pigs go with a hardcast 180 gr! You want brutal shoot 454 Casull there isn't anything brutal out of a 357 Mag anything! Girly man!:D
I have owned several 454 Casull's and 357's among many other chamberings. The SP101 3" with hot loads is very difficult to manage, yes I would call it brutal. In fact due to the grip on the SRH 454 in either 2.5" or 7.5" configuration, to me at least, is easier to manage than hot loads in the small Ruger SP101. Heck even my GP100 with a 4" barrel had some snap with very hot loads. With practice either can be mastered but I wouldn't assume just because its a "lowly" 357 mag that there will be no recoil. YMMV.

My advice to the OP is this: find the hottest load you can hit a 10" or smaller bullseye with every time at the same distances you will be using it in the field. This will be different for everyone and your skill level depends on how much you practice.

I've hunted hogs before and it is no joke, these animals are very tough. Your life can depend on your firearm. Practice is essential. It wont matter one lick what caliber or bullet you have if you miss your mark during a charge. If you practice enough to know your own limitations you will have your answer. The heaviest solid you can shoot accurately at around 1200 fps. Happy hunting.

Regards,

Josh

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

My .500 Linebaugh SRH weighs in under 3-lbs.......let's talk brutal......:D

I too would lean towards 180 grain flat-nosed hardcast -- you want uncompromised penetration. JMHO

·
Registered
39 Posts
My .500 Linebaugh SRH weighs in under 3-lbs.......let's talk brutal......:D

I too would lean towards 180 grain flat-nosed hardcast -- you want uncompromised penetration. JMHO
I had a 475 Linebaugh for a few years, yes that is a whole new level of pain. :D

Josh

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Pain!!! I thought it was pure pleasure to light the fuse on a case full of propellant behind a 420 grainer, everyone hasn't had that much fun...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hello,

I had two Ruger SP 101's I was using as regular home protection guns and wanted to use as hunting back up / camp / hiking defense guns.

Finally, came to the conclusion it would be better if I had a little heavier gun. So, I went through all the trouble to sell the SP 101's and bought two Ruger Speed Sixes with the 2.75" barrels. One for me and one for the wife.

They can be found in blue or stainless, weigh about 33.5 oz and though SLIGHTLY more heavy to pack than an SP 101 ( about 25 oz), shooting BB 180 HARD CAST lead is a much more reasonable proposition.

The SP 101 will certainly handle the BB's but the Speed Six handles them much better.

My advise is keep the SP 101 and buy a Ruger Speed OR Police Six with the 2.75" barrel. I guarantee you will LOVE the bigger Ruger. PLUS six vs five shots. I tell you the Ruger SS or PS are only a little bit bigger dimensionally than the SP 101's.

Best Regards Lj

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mad hog under 20 yards

Have you tried 5 quick ones with your SP-101 using the atomic ammo at that range?

Remember if you can't hit a fast moving target several times accurately with your selected backup weapon combination you should invest in running shoes.

I'm partial to a heavier 44/45 for your situation.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts