Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need suggestions for powder loads for my 357 Marlin which I use for indoor target shooting (50 yards) We are only allowed to use lead bullets so velocities need to be low. I am assuming that 148gr swc is the best bet... Shame we cant have as much fun as you guys in the US !!!.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
4.5 grains of 231 powder with a 148grain cast bullet. I used this load in Team Challenge Competition and it worked great. I was getting ragged hole five shot groups at 25 yards out of my custom built S&W model 27 and my Ruger Security Six (both built by Davis for this type of competition). It has no recoil and is superbly accurate.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Like NSB, I use 4.5 grs of W231 / HP38 with a 158 gr lead RNFP bullet as a light target load. Shoots good out of all my revolvers and carbines.

·
Registered
46 Posts
.357m Loads

I see this started awhile ago.
My target loads for Silhouette targets.
125 FP Lead 17g Alliant 2400 around 2000fps
140g RN Lead AR2208 19G Around 1900fps. 24" barrel. 92 action
Jacketed hunting loads are increased, sure pig stopper.
Nels.

·
Banned
674 Posts
4.5 gr of Bullseye pushing a 158 gr LSWC works for me in all 3 of my revolvers. No idea what the velocity is and the guns range from 4" to 6" but all stay inside the black on a standard NRA 50 yard slowfire target.

Makes a good rabbit hunting load too.

7 grains makes a nice 100 yard load

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
You might want to try a few of Penn Bullets 180gr truncated cone, over something like Unique or Herco. Feeding and cycling are very slick, and accuracy is good out to 50yds. I use 5.0gr of either for low noise. Recoil won't bother the most sensitive.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Since you're shooting a Marlin the SWC bullet should work fine. My Marlin lever action feeds SWCs without thinking, but my Winchester won't feed them at all. With the Winchester '73 I have to use a RNFP bullet.

As to the load, a 148 gr will work fine, or you could try a 158 gr (there is more load data out there). I'm not sure where you live, but what kinds of powder are available to you? The same ones we have in the US?

I'd check the Hodgdon web site for specific load data.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts