Shooters Forum banner

357cal 180gr Round Nose bullet

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  bobthenailer 
#1 ·
I am looking for a bullet mould to cast Round Nose 358/387 180grn bullets.
I can find flat point but looking for round nose to allow better reload time with full moon clips in my S&W 686 revolver.
I'd like to find 180gr round nose plated or FMJ 357cal but haven't found them so looking to cast my own.
Thanks

#2 ·
These aren't round nose but they are 180 gr truncated cone bullets. The taper may be what you need to allow ease of entry into the chambers. There is no shoulder to hang up on like there is with a SWC design. http://www.pennbullets.com/38/38-caliber.html Beartooth makes a 180 gr FN that is less tapered and the meplat is larger than the Penn bullets making it easier to hang up when entering the cylinder. What are you using the bullets for? If used on steel plates the heat treated Beartooth bullets will cause more bounce back against steel targets. If used for hunting you will want a flat point to create a bigger wound than round nose bullets will. In that case I would use the larger meplat of the Beartooth bullets as long as they loaded quickly enough for you.

#11 · (Edited)
Call LBT. They can make any mold you want.
I second that. Veral Smith is a gentleman and very helpful. When you consider his weight forward designs (WFN and WLN) are used by many bullet casters it says he knows a little something about bullet making. Some RNFPs have real small meplats and there is enough roundness to allow for easy use of full moon clips. I even think that the truncated cone bullets with rounded edges at the meplat should center in the chambers without to much finagling.

#5 ·
I shoot a S&W 625 with 45acp 230gn RN at 750fps at IPSC matches and they fire with a nice boof of a recoil and I also like to shoot my 686 357 with cyl.cut for moon clips in IPSC but to make the power factor with my 357 158grn Berry's bullets im sonic and it has a consideriable Crack per shot. So I'd like to find/cast some Round Nosed not flat point bullets at 180grn and load them at about 950fps to soften the felt recoil shot to shot down a bit. Call it a winter project or something just to try. I know the power factor being the same is the same recoil but the lower FPS and heavier bullet has a softer feeling to me.
Thanks, Huck

#10 · (Edited)
Saeco makes a mould for a .358 truncated cone 180gr I believe it comes with or without gas check. My friend has this mould in gas check he uses this bullet in his .357 harret and I have used this bullet in my .357 contender and my S&W 586 very accurate in all. I'll see if I can find the mould #.Mould #396 plain base #399 is gas check ,hope this helps.

#12 ·
200 gr bullet

Hi. Lyman used to make a 195 gr rn bullet mould # 358430. that will serve your needs and its made for revolvers . a friend from years ago had the mould and showed me the bullets he made.
There were 2 versions of this mould a 150 gr and the 195 gr ! make sure you get the correct one !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.