Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious about the performance of this bullet on game. Will be looking to load it in a cartridge in the Contender capable of sending it out the tube at 2200-2300 FPS or so.

Thanks for any info.

:cool:

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Close Kevin,

It's a 358 Bellm. 444 Marlin case sized down in a 358 Winchester die. Has a longer neck than the JDJ. Nice for cast bullets. Not to take anything away from the JDJ.

What weight bullets do you currently use for deer?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've used a 210 gr gc from Carrol bullets over 40 grs 4895 as a light practice load,but I shot a nice sized body 7 pt this fall with a Hawk 250gr Rn soft point that goes 2100 fps at the muzzle. Hit him in the neck at 150 yds across an alfalfa field and bullets definately showed signs of expansion from the exit wound,he dropped where he stood.  I would look at the 200 gr FP which has a bigger meplat,run them both thru the wound channel calc. you only give up 10 grs of bullet weight.  Maybe I will try cast for hunting with it this fall,but my real goal is to take a deer with a revolver this year.  KevinNY

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kevin,

Thanks for the info. Looks like the JDJ does about 100-200 FPS more than the Bellm with certain bullet weights. I'll be using H322 mostly as this cartridge needs a more medium- fast burning rate powder. Should be fun to play with. I'll look into the 200 grainer also.

What caliber revolver are you looking to use?

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
Contender,

With the .35 Remington and that bullet at 2350 mv.  penetrates whitetails stem to stern with about a half-dollar sized hole all the way through!  Seen three or four popped with this combiniation and the .359"-240g LFNGC bullet.

I've used it extensively in the .35 Whelen.  Some performer here!  Using W748 I clock these hummers at 2810 fps with MOA accuracy.  I'll tell you earthquakes happen when they arrive on target, even at 300 yards.  Wound channels here would not be representative of the velocities you are pushing, but you can literally put your fist through the ribcage of a deer hit with this load... with NO bloodshot meat!  It is a superb meat harvesting combination with an awesome trajectory!

These LFN profiles in the .35 calibers need to have start velocities above 1500 fps for decent wound channels on game.  They don't have the meplat diameter of the FN series of bullets, so make poor choices on game at .357 velocties.  However, bump them up to the 2000+ fps category and the equation is entirely different!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
87 Posts
Ray,
     I'll be useing a 45 Colt. I have a 4 5/8ths Stainless Blackhawk now and am having built a David Clements 6 shot conversion Bisley with a 5 1/2in express style barrel from a 357 bisley I had.  Have carried the BH before but never had a shot or used the contender.
                                          KevinNY

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Marshall for relating that field experience. Man that is impressive performance!

I can say it will probably be that bullet or the 200gr one. I'll check them on the calculator.

Kev, I sentya a message.

(Edited by Contender at 5:15 pm on Feb. 9, 2001)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts