Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a few questions, what bullet weight,what powder,what results? In my experience I have used the RCBS 200 GC,205 Lyman,200 Remington,225 Sierra, 225Nosler BT,none have really been overwhelming,am I missing something? For powder I have used more 3031 as it gives up less fps in the 15" barrel, pressures go up pretty fast with the heavier bullets, have started to work with AA2015BR as it works so well in my 35 Whelen. Guess what I'm looking for is that one magical load that does everything right--any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
3,366 Posts
I've not played with a 15" .358 Winchester, but it seems that you're on the right track with powder selection.  I do like AA2015, the 3031 is good, as would be 748 and perhaps H322.  In any case you're in for some rather dazzling muzzle-flash and muzzle-blast!

I don't know what you're actually getting for velocity, but the bullet should be tailored for the reduced velocities in which bullets will be impacting your game, and be constructed to that end.

Some chrono data would be helpful to us all in that regard in order to make better suggestions!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
I would also say to try some H322 powder.

This is the only powder thus far that has offered outstanding accuracy/velocity in my 358 Bellm 14" barrelled Contender.

I have gotten groups in the 1" range at 100yds from a rest with this powder and the Standard Rem Core-Lokt 200 gr bullets.

This is a necked down 444 Marlin case like the JDJ but with a longer neck. I use 358 Win dies to load it adjusted accordingly.

You might also try IMR 4895 and AA2520 in the 358 if you have load data for these powders.

Regards

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked in my .358 file but could not find all of the chrono data so will give what I have. For a varmit load I use pistol jacketed or cast best load 180 Hornady XTP over 45 gr. AA2015BR for a chrono of 2342fps.  The only other data I have found is a load worked up by using case head expansion as pressure indication as the Lone Eagle seems different than other guns in this respect. I would recomend working up to this level as it is somewhat above AA manual levels. Be aware this is a safe load in my pistol it may not be in yours. The 225 gr. Sierra BT over 45 gr. 2015BR, Win large rifle primer, bullet seated .035 off lands=2190fps.
 Thanks for the tip about H322 will be sure to try it. I will post more chrono data if I find it or as I redo the other bullet weights and cast data.
                       Good Hunting
                            Lynn

·
Banned
169 Posts
LIB, I also have a .358 Lone Eagle. I have used more IMR-4198 than anything else. I settled on a lighter charge of 4198 with the 225 grain Ballistic Tip because of accuracy. My load is 39.0 grains. I cannot give you a velocity on this load but it will shoot into an inch or so depending on how I do at 100 yards. The only other load I have for this gun is with a 158 gr SWC an 11.6 grains of Unique. Sean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts