Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Scotland~

I was just looking at Browning's web sight and it appears not only have they reintroduced the BLR stright grip but also .358 !:eek:

Perhaps some of these manufacturers are listening after all !:eek:

Any of you guys going to order one ?? Im thinking about it:)

Will wait and see what the reviews say about the New 81' stlye BLR's

Englander

P.S Happy new year !:D

·
Registered
86 Posts
BLR 358

I am glad to see the 358 return. I had wanted to use one of the original 81's in 358 as a project rifle but decided it was to heavy. This new version with it's alloy reciever would be just the ticket for a 35/284. A simple rechamber and mag switch or modification would net a 6.5 lb lever action 35 Whelen.

Garth

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
I love the rifle and cartridge combination, but my question is concerning the rack & pinion setup, and if it has been beefed up when compared to their original production guns in this chambering.

When we had the gunshop, several BLR 81's in .358 Win came through our hands, and of the dozen or more used .358 BLR 81's I examined there were only three that didn't show signs of stress cracks (or worse) in the rack & pinion. Oddly, I only observed this phenomonen on those guns chambered for the .358 Winchester. Not even in the big magnums did I see this breakdown that was so prevailing in the .358's.

I would be all for one of these guns for my own battery were it not for the previous experience I've had with the earlier production guns.

Any ideas?

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
86 Posts
358 BLR stress cracks

Marshal,

I have a shop in So. California and I don't see as many BLR's in 358 as you probably do up in God's country. I have not seen any BLR's with that problem. After making the first post I got to thinking.....wonder what a 35/300WSM would be like in the 20" tube of the BLR. Should be a rechamber, bolt face mods and magazine change to make it work. Sholud have a bit more oomph than my 350 Remington and in a levergun to boot. Of course you could rebore a 300 WSM if there is enough meat in the barrel. or maybe a 338/300WSM or.................

Garth

·
Registered
872 Posts
Sure something to think about. Can you tell me where to inspect mine, and what to look for?

Thanks very much,

S.R.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts