Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
358 loaders,

Anyone use or have tried 4166? Burn rate wise it seems it might be a good fit but data is scarce. It seems most 358 I can find is too dated for this powder.

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had ran across the speer page data, hadn’t seen the star line article though. Interesting that it didn’t post velocity although it did for other powders.

It probably doesn’t help that 358 only has CUP and not a SAAMI PSI rating, which is the equipment most load data generating sources are using.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,453 Posts
As 4166 is so "new" I wouldn't count on much data for something as obsolete :rolleyes: as the 358 Win.

I've been using Benchmark with pretty good results out of my M99. IMR3031 would be a close second.

RJ

To add: Is 4166 actually made by IMR or is it another Aussie import from ADI?

·
10,453 Posts
I haven't looked at a 4166 jug so that's why I asked. Figured it "they" were importing some of Hodgdon's from The Ausies, why not some of the IMR line.

RJ

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, ADI might of been another data source if that was the case too, but no dice.

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,166 Posts
IMR extruded line is from General Dynamics' Quebec plant.

·
10,453 Posts
IMR extruded line is from General Dynamics' Quebec plant.
Copy that. But with all the "new" Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester powders hitting the market in the last little bit one has to wonder if "they" aren't getting some help (?)

Not saying they are but . . . . .

Plus it's good for us reloaders to part with more money for more bullets and primers to try all these "new" powders. :D

RJ

Reactions: jimboro

·
The Shadow (Super Mod)
7,166 Posts
Copy that. But with all the "new" Hodgdon/IMR/Winchester powders hitting the market in the last little bit one has to wonder if "they" aren't getting some help (?)

Not saying they are but . . . . .

Plus it's good for us reloaders to part with more money for more bullets and primers to try all these "new" powders. :D

RJ
The only thing "new" Hodgy has, is marketing schemes.;)
When GD tore down and completely rebuilt the old plant a few years ago, it was about modernization and ingredient changes. There are a few ingredients used in old extruded powders that are now considered toxic, and not exportable to many corners of the world. The revamp brought the extruded plant up to the ingredient standards of the ball plant down in Florida.
During that down time, some of the "old standard" IMR names everyone knows, were sourced from Groupe SNPE, but as far as I'm aware was only the 8# jugs. Since the plant came back online, all sourcing has gone back to them.
Assuming the troubles don't continue down at the Armory in Australia, is assume an ingredient change soon. Then there will be another wave of "new" extreme magics to be dazzled by. :D

Cheers

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I gave Hodgdon/IMR a call just to see what they said. They thought it would be a good powder for the cartridge but hadn’t gotten to that combination “yet”. No love

1 - 11 of 11 Posts