Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all
Looking at a BLR in .358. '
I'm sure there is/are threads on the site on this topic, but I can't seem to find them; more likely my less than stellar computer skills.
So to the issue. The bore diameter of the .358 is .358, correct? If so how then do pistol bullets of .357 work...or do they? Ditto for cast bullets.
Can I expect, all else being equal, a group or "pattern" at 100M?
Recipes would be good.

Cheers all

·
Premium Member
14,506 Posts
Not at 100, no. Pistol bullets will be too short and light for the rifle twist. Lots of people load reduced loads for grouse. It takes quite a bit of work to develop a load that allows the same point of aim is the big game bullet but at a shorter range but it can be done. I've shot grouse heads off with my 35 Whelen using 125 gr Hornady HPs.

·
Registered
407 Posts
My custom 358 based on a M700 shot Sierra 158 grain HP bullets to a .3" group at 100 yards. I thought the bullets would blow up at the 2500 fps but they made it to the target in one piece. The 20 round aggregate group was 0.33".
Groups were measure center to center.
I tried the Speer bullets but they were not as accurate. The barrel has a fast twist at 1:12 but shoots the light bullets just fine.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Sir,

The older manuals had data for doing such a thing, and they make a very surprising varmint load. I don't see any issues in the world with the Browning, although I didn't try any in my 358 BLR. I have loaded 158 grain Hornady XTPs for my 350 Rem Mag and it did well, and a few other options in my Ruger Hawkeye 358 win , and they do fine as well.

Speer manual number 11 has data, and there are other published loads here and there.

Good luck.

Steve

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
You'd be surprised at how well they might do. I did some experimenting with XTP .357 down to 125 gr. in my .358 SOCOM at about 2700 fps and they grouped much better than I expected, about 3 to 4 inches at 100 yards for 5 shots. And they held up a heck of a lot better. I shot a 125 gr. XTP through two layers of drywall, spaced 3.5 inches apart, then passing through one gallon jug of water, blowing the jug to bits, and coming to rest in the second jug of water, jacket shed and core in several pieces. I honestly expected the bullets to come apart in the air before reaching the target but they did pretty darned good IMO. I also shot some 155 gr. XTPs in .400 caliber in the .400 SOCOM and they gave similar results, much better accuracy than anticipated and they held together similarly to the .357 bullets out of the .358 SOCOM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts