Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think a Rem Mdl 7 or 700 with a slightly heavy sporter contour barrel in 358 win would be a superb cast / killer rifle. With a about a 18" tube it would be a handy and portable.
With the ability to use the whole line of 35 cal pistol bullets a killer squirrel load or turkey load should be a snap.
Anyone with any experience with this unloved and      unappreciated caliber with cast or jacketed projectiles? I'd like to hear some of your experiences. J Sanders

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
J,

While I don't have experience with this particular cartridge. I can say that this is an excellent cartridge and am amazed that it is not more popular.

I currently shoot a round in my Contender pistol that utilizes a 358 Sizing die to reform 444 Marlin cases. The round is a bit longer than the 358 with a longer neck and runs of course at lower pressures oweing to the pistols strength.

To me, the 356 in a lever gun and the 358 in a short bolt gun would be a superb woods rifle capable of the longer shots also.

I have shot the LBT 215 gr. FN bullet with the Contender to about 2000 FPS with 2" groups at 100 yds in preliminary testing. I am sure you could best this by at least 400 or so FPS in the 358 and higher pressure loadings.

I plan to do more cast shooting soon and will relay anything new to the forum.

You're on the right track. I read a number of years ago an article by Ed Matunas who said anyone finding themselves with one of the Model 70 Featherweights in 358 will count themselves extremely fortunate. I agree.

Regards, Ray

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
When the .358 Winchester came out (yes, I remember when!). I thought it had everything going for it to become a modern version of the famous .35 Remington. Although it had only a one caliber neck length, everything else was right.It should have become the leading brush, heavy game cartridge available! But,it was not to be. Sales dropped to nothing and firearms for it faded away. It is still a great cartridge, but a cast bullet design it is not. The specs call for a .3544" neck.
The following are the BTB bullets showing the length of the lube grooves:
(1) .358" 185 gr FN GC @ .400"
(2) .358" 200 gr FN GC @ .330" & .440"
(3) .358" 210 gr LFN GC @ .410"
(4) .358" 250 gr LFN GC @ .520"
This should show the reason I say it's no good for a cast bullet load. If you push the shoulder back to .400" you have a takeoff of the wildcat I designed for the market overseas called the 7.62x47mm International. This will not be best as you have reduced the powder capacity too much for the .35 cal.
Now if you want to build a "#### and Blazes" cast bullet wildcat in .35 cal...Push the shoulder on a .35 Whelen back so you have a neck @ .500". This still gives a powder capacity of 50+ grains of powder. The barrels could be pulled, set back, and rechambered
Best Regards, James

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ray I assume you are talking about the 358JDJ? That's a monster, I bet you know when that thing goes off.
I have a Mint 357 Herret barrel I'm playing with now. If I ever get the feeling I'm undergunned with it I may consider rebarreling to that big'un like your shooting.
James, How would the 358 win do with cast if you designed a bullet around the neck length it has? I would think you could come up with a flatnose design weighing 170 to 200 grains, with the lube grooves covered by the 358 win's short neck. Oh well, right now it is just an Idea kicking around in my head.(mental note to self: start looking for a good used mdl7 or 700 short action with a .308 bolt face) Glad the wife don't read my posts!
                                Joey Sanders

·
Beartooth Regular
1,177 Posts
J, Actually it's the 358 Bellm chambered by Mike. Used to be a Herrett also. Machined in muzzle brake. It has somewhat less case capacity than the 358 JDJ but it has a neck length of about .5". Excellent cartridge in the Contender without the need for custom dies. Does about 2250 or so with a jacketed Spire point. 14" bbl. Here's a link:

http://members.tripod.com/bellmtcs/id2.htm

I'm currently playing with some 200 gr. Rem Core-Lokt RN's up around 2200FPS. They'll do 1" at 100yds. and a variable scope cranked up to 6X.

I would think a bullet like Lyman's 204gr with the shorter bearing surface would work well in the 358 Win. That same bullet with a Flat Nose would be even better. The 358 Bellm's neck will cover all the lube grooves on the LBT 210gr FN if seated to the base of the neck. Could always have the throat lengthened also if you wanted to exclusively shoot cast bullets with the 358 Win.

Regards, Ray

(Edited by Contender at 5:17 pm on Aug. 28, 2001)

·
Banned
169 Posts
This probably isn't what you had in mind but I shoot a .358 Win in an MRI Lone Eagle pistol 15" bbl. Mostly, I shoot either 200 grain Silver Tips or 225 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips, but I do load 158 gr SWC over Unique for some fun occasionaly. I haven't tried anything more than those light Unique loads but I have thought about maybe getting some heavier pistol bullets to try. Sean

·
Registered
83 Posts
As a kid in Texas I used a 243(the state cartridge) and rebarreled it to 358 when we moved north and lost a whitetail in 243. What a wonderful round with all the new powders to use in it. I stuffed a lot of 3031 in behind a 200 Hornady spire point and had great results. With a cast bullet (LFN) you would be real happy. Please use a Model 70 or something with a real safety instead of one of those tube actions and no safety.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts