Shooters Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,561 Posts
I need to get out my Speer ballistic calculator sliderule and keep it by the computer. Handy little thing from a bygone era.

225's are going to run in the 2400 fps range so should yield (just guessing) 15-1600 lb ft of energy. 250's in the 2250 fps range and (still guessing) about the same energy.

RJ

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
A 225gr load at 2500 FPS WILL have over 3100 FPE at the muzzle and 1500 FPE at 350 yards. (Sierra 225gr SPBT)

·
10,561 Posts
As I said, I was just guessing . . . . . badly it would appear :eek:

Thanks for the clarification Tnhunter.

RJ

·
Registered
109 Posts
I like the Savage 99 rifles and I'm looking to add one with a bit more oomph as the .308 is the largest I own now.
The 358 is reAlly a niche caliber. If you hunt where the property is surrounded by posted land and you need to keep your deer from running far. This is your caliber. If you hunt where you have the opportunity to shoot multiple game species some of which can be big and mean. This is your caliber. If you want to use something different than everyone else in camp. This is your caliber. If you like both entrance and exit holes this is your caliber. If you like copious blood trails Ray Charles could follow this is your caliber. If you want a 358 enough said. I have a 35 rem,a 358 win, a 9x56 MS, a 35 whelen. This is the choir speaking go forth and get your 358 and enjoy DRT.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm leaning towards the Sierra 200 grain RN. In testing (wet clay behind my target board) I've found the Hornady to be a bit "over jacketed" in that the bullet doesn't expand well at my velocity. No doubt it would dispatch a critter if I chose to do so, but I want to try the Sierras before I go there.

RJ
Try the 200 GrainGER it is devastating on deer and Hogs.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Performance as in ballistics; ft/sec and ft/lbs.
If that is truly what you want get a 358 Norma. If performance on game is what you are interested in any 35 caliber rifle will give you that in spades.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Edited

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
*** I use this in my savage 99.
Run the numbers in a ballistics calculator and you'll be impressed. That 200 TTSX is slippery.
Penetration for days. Shoots flat and hard.
Good luck,
Rex
An excellent example of a "modern" .358 Win load. This load flies as flat as a typical 180gr 06 load (180gr/2700). And, as a matter of comparison, it's also slightly faster than the Remington .35 Whelen 200gr Core Lokt and flies much flatter. With a 200yd zero, it's about 8" low at 300. This ain't your Granddad's Buick.....LOL.

Reactions: MS 9x56

·
10,561 Posts
Looking at on line data for "modern'" 358 Winchester loads, those suggested are WAY more than I would subject MY M99f to.

Risking your life and limbs is one thing, but body parts of those next to you? Uuuh, no!

RJ

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am considering the purchase of a rifle in .358 Winchester. I have no experience with this cartridge but have a lot of interest in it.
What can I expect for performance from handloads in the 225-250 gr range.

you can expect to drop any animal that you shoot where you should
it hits with more authority than it's small meek demeanor would lead you to believe
power and performance in a small package does it get any better?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I am considering the purchase of a rifle in .358 Winchester. I have no experience with this cartridge but have a lot of interest in it.
What can I expect for performance from handloads in the 225-250 gr range.

you can expect to drop any animal that you shoot where you should
it hits with more authority than it's small meek demeanor would lead you to believe
power and performance in a small package does it get any better?
The 358 winchester is a lot more versatile that people give it credit for. The reason you don't find them used on gun store racks is that once a person aquires one they dont turn loose of it. They have killed everything I have pointed them at with very short copious blood trails. I dont think they kick any worse than my savage 99 in 308. Get one and you will be happy, Happy, HAPPY.

·
Premium Member
14,341 Posts
Using that definition of 'performance', maybe consider a .350 G&H Magnum. It is case capacity/bore diameter that determines that 'performance'. The bigger the case, the more 'performance' you get.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I think the performance you can expect is dead game, DED dead! I think it shoots flatter than my 33 winchester and hits harder than my 308s. Some could argue against that but I never had to chase a deer I hit even with just a bulk buy Remington 200 gr SP or the FPs I bought by the big box full years ago from Midway. Hi. My name is Bandito and I am a medium bore whore. G'Day and Be Well, Bandito.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts