Shooters Forum banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
.358 WSSM upper

My upper was built by Dedicated Technology. I have the first one he built. The web sight is Dtechsuperstore.com. Contact number (218)-444-7419. He sent a 7 round mag with upper.:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
358 WSSM Rifle

For those of you that would like more information on the 358 WSSM, I would be more than happy to share information with you. I worked with Sonex last year to build mine, and absolutley LOVE it! If interested, just ask or PM me.

Thanks

Mauser

·
Registered
1 Posts
200 barnes tsx

Wondering what kind of experience you guys have had with 200 tsx I like high shoulder shot and a little worried 180 ssp might not be tough enough for close shot at 2600 also any powder load info would be great new to the forum glad to see it is here just got a 358 bfg barrel for my encore Indiana deer gun.Thanks Jeff

·
Registered
29 Posts
Barnes 200 Gr. TSX

Hey Bugzy,

The 200 Gr. is the exact bullet I am using. First buck with it last year crumpled into a heap, stone cold dead, and dropped at about 65 yards. I am using 47.5 Grains of Vitha Vouri N133 This is a very accurate load for my Win Mod 70 with 22" barrel. With a bench rest and Leupold 3X9, I am getting 3/4" groups at 125 yards and that was just my first pass with it last season. I have not had the chance to really stretch this rifle out yet, but want to see what it will do out to 250 yards. I could not be happier with my rifle! If you want I have some other load data you can use to test. Just let me know.

Mauser

·
Registered
29 Posts
358 WSSM Load Testing and Chronograph

Hey guys,

Did a little work on my 358 today and finally got the verification that I was looking for in this rifle. I adjusted my loads by 1 grain using the V V N133 to 46 gr. I also reduced my case length just slightly from 1.6" to 1.58"." I was having just a bit of issue at the 1.6" length Still using the 200 Gr. TSX Barnes. Cases look fine after firing, and no issues at all. I know this sounds like very minor change, but it seems that my accuracy has increased a little bit as my groups were tighter, which is great, and they were really good before... and my chrony is consistant over a 10 shot range at 2,554 FPS! That's what I was looking for! Mind you this is a 22" barrel as well. With a 24" barrel I would imagine you would be a good bit over 2,600FPS! At least I think that is impressive. Just thought I would pass it along.

Mauser:):):):):):):):)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
still shooting

Hey mauser, another load some are shooting is, 48gr. h4895, 225 sierra game king. Don't be afraid to shoot to 300yds. you'll be surprised!
bg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Sonex,

Yes, I want to stretch mine out, and know after talking with you, it is good out to 300. Just have not worked with it enough yet. I am proud to report that I have now taken my second buck with it! Once again, it dropped the buck dead in it's tracks about 75 yards. Never moved! I added a new Leupold 3X9 to it this year, and it is the ultimate deer stopper. I will get a chance to experiment with the new load as well, and look forward to trying it out here shortly. Looking for a nice doe now to round out my season.

Thanks BG, I couldnt be happier with my rifle! Great to hear from you.

Mauser

·
Registered
8 Posts
.358 WSSM terminal data

Jeff,
My buddy (who designed and had our .358 WSSM reamer made in 2008) is going to shoot his next deer (this week we hope) with the TSX and he will let me know what happens.
He shot two deer already with the 200 Hornady SP last Saturday at 80 yds. (one is a 150 class buck) and after hitting the onside shoulder first, both bullets passed all the way through (2625fps). Both "flopped and dropped", where they stood. That was with his Browning A-Bolt.
I also got two last Saturday with 225 Sierras from my Ruger No.1 (2536fps). Both lung shots and both bullets passed all the way through, leaving a 1" hole on the exit side with every little other damage. The buck was at 70 yds. Both hopped off as usual except the blood trail was incredible, making tracking after dark really easy with a single AAA flashlight and that two foot wide blood trail.
My son-in-law also shot one with the Ruger No.1 and 225 Sierras through the heart at 50 yds. and the bullet passed through (easily) and dropped the deer dead in its tracks.
Another friend shot one with the Hornady Flex Tip bullet within 60 yds. That bullet entered but did not exit. The deer dropped dead in its tracks but we fear it exploded and may have laced the meat with bits of lead and copper. The far side meat damage was evident.
Another friend of a friend shot a COYOTE with his at fairly close range with a 180 Hornady SP. It was an INSTAKILL, of course, but the bullet DID NOT EXIT. Unbelievable. Good thing this shot was not at a deer. We fear that bullet may be a little light jacket for the velocity of the .358 WSSM.
We have tested, on paper, for velocity and groups, nearly 600 dirrerent load combinations (twelve different rifles) including most every powder and bullet combination we think might work with this cartridge. It is truly an incredible performer and is light years ahead of most anything that has been available to Indiana hunters in the past. It is also fairly easy to make, once all the tools and presses are acquired.
We find that the Federal WSSM brass (.243 wssm, when you can find it) is far better than any Winchester brass. The Federal is much easier to work and lasts longer and doesn't split easily like the Win. does. I have a small stock of it and I make it for a few serious rifle hunters. I usually run case length at 1.620" and neck thickness at .0155" (nominal).

Good luck,

Wondering what kind of experience you guys have had with 200 tsx I like high shoulder shot and a little worried 180 ssp might not be tough enough for close shot at 2600 also any powder load info would be great new to the forum glad to see it is here just got a 358 bfg barrel for my encore Indiana deer gun.Thanks Jeff

·
Registered
55 Posts
Last year I had a 200 gr. TSX fail at 80 yds. Seemed to have hit a rib and went to pieces.

With 225 Accubonds I have not had one run over 20 yds with shots from 50 to 240 yards.

·
Banned
1,510 Posts
Last year I had a 200 gr. TSX fail at 80 yds. Seemed to have hit a rib and went to pieces.

With 225 Accubonds I have not had one run over 20 yds with shots from 50 to 240 yards.
I'v never heard of a TSX going to peices, only problems iv heard of is them not expanding

Btw im not doubting what you say either.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sonex

Hey Sonex

Could you please send me your phone number. I have a friend that wants you to build a rifle and I wanted to discuss it with you...I managed somehow to lose your number.

Thanks!

Mauser

·
Registered
17 Posts
Custom builders

After reading here and elsewhere about this cartridge I'm eager to get started. Is is as simple as rebarreling a 70 or 700, and would I need a complete upper for the AR? Pls send all info available or direct me. I'm excited about this, and I'm old:D. Dismal luck trying to speed up and accurize pistol cartridges and went back to superiour slug gun. This sounds like real rifle performance.

E-mail or PM me with phone info, or whatever to get started. I need a winter project, and dialing in a new wildcat is just the ticket.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
For an AR you need to either run a rebarreled Olympic WSSM upper or on the LR-308/AR-10 platform. Mine is being done on the LR-308 and the only problem is getting mags to work with more than 4 rounds. We (myself and my smith) hope the P-mags are going to solve the problem so I should know soon since I have 6 coming next week. If not, I guess I'll just have to live with 4 rounds.
On the .358 HDH Quick Load predicts only 2400 fps using NN133 with a charge of 41.0 gr will put the case at 105% full, with a pressure of 44.4Kpsi and MV of 2400 fps. The .358 HDH is 96% case cap of the .358 Winchester so it looks like I will have to try another powder. 44.4K is 11K PSI short of what the action is capable of working at and may be too low a pressure to function if the muzzle pressure is too low.
If it functions the action then 44.4K will make my brass last forever and 2400 is nothing to be sneezed at. Given a 200 gr. TSX bullet at 2400 fps, 6 inch vital zone, and a MPBR zero (+- 3 inches POA) of 205 yards I get a MPBR range of 239 yards. And that is the hold dead on and shoot range. I will have to get some numbers on VARGET powder. I think it will be a little hotter and maybe get me closer to my target of 50K PSI which is still pretty mild considering the 55K operating limits of the brass and rifle. Who knows, might even gain a few fps also. Still, even if I can get 2600 fps I only gain 20 yards on the zero (225 yards) and 17 yards on MPBR (256) and that will work my brass a LOT harder. So much to tinker with...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interested in 358WSSm

Anyone wanting a win 70 or a ar-15 in the 358 wssm let me know? I can build you one. I can furnish you reloading dies also.
Ben
sonex184

Is your offer still open to anyone who would like to purchase a 358WSSM? I'm very interested in this setup. I have read your posting about this new wildcat round you
have come up with. I would like to ask a few questions about this wildcat round if
you don't mind answering.

First: Do you have any ballistics info on the 358wssm?

Second: What are you asking for one of your rifles?

Third: Could I shoot one of these rifles or observe someone shooting one of these
rifles before I decide to purchase one of your rifles?

Thank You,

conl99

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rifle build

Hey Conl99,

I can help answer your questions. Sonex built my rifle and I love it! Just PM me, and I will get back with you asap.

Thanks!

Mauser

121 - 140 of 149 Posts