Shooters Forum banner

141 - 149 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Well, I have a Browning A-Bolt Hunter in .223 WSSM on the way, which I intend to have rebarreled for .358 WSSM. I need to identify a gunsmith to do the work. Ideally, someone with experience with this cartridge and experience working on Brownings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Match Grade Machine has a standard neck 358 WSSM, and access to the 358 BFG reamer as does Mark Penrod and Greg Tannel.

All have experience on the A-Bolt and with the cartridge.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
358 wssm rifles

Bass and Bucks has 2 savage rifles for sale, Just Hunt has a savage/Stevens for sale all are 358 wssm cal. and are located in Wabash , Indiana. Just Hunt has ammo and brass for 358 wssm for sale.
sonex

·
Registered
998 Posts
I finally got my CH-4D tapered expanders. While when I was forming the 25 WSSM to 358 WSSM over 6 steps the cases shortened to below the 1.625 maximum, when doing it in two steps, from 25 to 30 and then from 30 to 35, the cases did not shorten near as much. They all ended up being 1.627 to 1.630 inch so they will need trimming.
I am looking at the CH-4D website, and it isn't completely apparent which parts I need. I assume I want two of the 'M' Type Tapered Expander Plugs, but what are the sizes? .250" to .300" and .300" to .357" perhaps? And then I guess I want to put them in an Expander Die, but they come in several lengths. How do I figure out which length is right for the WSSM?

·
Registered
2 Posts
sorry i forgot about this post.

i have only shot 200 and 225 grain bullets. the 200 were hornady interlocks and they didnt group.

partitions and accubonds are all around 3/4 inch.

the problem i have had is cases getting real tight too soon. i have learned that this is a std wssm issue.

in talking with some sharp ppl this is what i am hearing.

• brass is too hard and too thick. doesnt have the elasticity to come back
  • large head diam puts more of the psi on the bolt head
  • head to case length ratio has exceed good design. not enough case length grabbing chamber wall.
  • extra large case diam removes enough barrel matl that barrels flex out, then come back and grab the case.
given all of that i am getting 358 win ballistics (2400 - 2450fps) and given indiana contraints, might be as good as we can do.

grant, like you, i ran out of time and have gone with N530 for now. I do want to try blc and 4895 and some imr i cant think of right now. maybe n540 also.

what was your reason for the wsm cases, capacity?

im in jasper, where are you? crane? i might have heard about you.

it does have 3 one shot kills so far.

any of you guys having the tight case problem?
Luke, I work in Jasper. This is the load I’ve been using. Strictly bought the 358 WSSM as a hunting rifle to get some cavitation.

43.5 grain IMR 3031. CCI primer.

200 grain lever revolution Hornady.

358 wssm reloading info

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,443 Posts
Danny, check the date of the last post . . . . . . .

No worries, we get that a good bit with new comers to the new and "more user friendly" updated website.😉

Anyways, a hearty welcome!

RJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Danny, check the date of the last post . . . . . . .

No worries, we get that a good bit with new comers to the new and "more user friendly" updated website.😉

Anyways, a hearty welcome!

RJ

I'm not quite following where you were going with your reply. Are you saying Luke is no longer a member because his post is 13 years ago, or that I should be using a different websige?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,781 Posts
Lukehalle hasn[t responded to the board in 3 1/2 years. Might be an indication he's moved on.

Reactions: Darkker
141 - 149 of 149 Posts