Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to hear some thoughts from the owners of the 358Win. cal.I am seriously considering one of the new Browning`s in that caliber.From reading only, it seems that this is a great cartridge and I want to try one of the BLR rifles and I am trying to decide between the 308 and the 358.Thanks in advance for the info.

·
Registered
206 Posts
T.A.P. why not consider the .356 Winchester? It is a great cartridge in its own right. At one time it was available in the Winchester model 94 Big Bore. I think Marlin chambers it in their model 336, though I am not absolutely certain. Nevertheless, the .356 and the .358 are VERY similar.
Others on the board may be able to give you better advice and supply information as to where a .356 can be found at a reasonable price.

Kind regards,
Timberwolf ;)

·
Registered
871 Posts
Sir,

I think there are few flies on either, and I own one of each that i use as a still hunting rigs. A Remington Model 7 in 308, and the BLR in 358. Of the two, the 358 is more accuratte, but not a great deal. I think their ability reach wise is very similar, maybe because my 308 is incredibly light, and sports an 18 inch barrel. Either way, i figure both are 250 yard guns, tops. This surprised me a little about the 358, as I didn;t think it would hold up as good as it did, but with 200 grain hornady spitzers, it did real well.

The kick of these weapons is about the same, oddly enough, and I remember being pleasantly surprised on how little the 358 kicked, as it is only slightly heavier than the model 7.

Lots of good brush loads for both, but the 358 puts more bullet weight on target than its smaller parent. If your hunting is like mine, that extra weight might come in handy in the hardwoods.

I 'm assuming you are handloading, and if you are there are a bunch of a good 358 bullets, ranging from pistol hollowpoints to big 250s. The only commercial load available today is the Win 200 grain silvertip, and lately that impresses me as being either too much, or too little, depending on what a fellow is in the notion to shoot. If your not handloading, then I reckon the 308 would be the only real reasonable choice.

I think you'll like that BLR, it is a real sweetheart. That action is so smooth, it almost cycles itself. If I had to choose, then i would pick the 358, but I'd feel great with either/ both.

good shooting, kill a great big one.

S.R.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
TAP, I am too considering the 35 caliber. I have several 308s and 30-06s and considering rebarrelling to either 358 or 35 Whelen unless I find a nice 9.3x62 here in Germany. My decision will be the avaiblity of the barrel. I reload so factory ammo is not a limiting concern. However that project is not high on the priority list right now do to very, very limited hunting access right now.

Timberwolf, Marlin and Winchester both discontinued the 356. I will always keep my eyes open for a nice used one.

·
Banned
548 Posts
Thanks for posting, I had no idea that the BLR could be had in 358. I am going to sell my SIG 229 to get one.

I rebarreled a Savage Scout rifle in 708 to 358 Win and it is a tack driver in that short action bolt gun. It is exceptionally easy to reload, and 308 brass can be sized to 358 in a jiffy.

Any number of 357 cal pistol bullets can be fired as reduced loads, some with varmint accuracy to 150 yards. The only area where the 308 is clearly better would be varmint shots over 150 yards.

However, the 358 Win is much more powerful than the 308, and performs this feat from shorter barrels. Recoil varies with load, but it ranges from the 308 level to the '06. Knock-down power is equal to the 300 Win Mag, and 358 bullet performance on game is more reliable.

·
Banned
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BLR

Loader,My understanding is that the 358 in the Browning is to be released at any time, it is not on the market yet,at least that is what my dealer says.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Hello fellows,

The orginal BLR 81 was chambered in 358, as well as 308, and I am thinking 243. The magazines work for both. Yesterday, mine put down a really good sized 12 point Western Kentucky whitetail. Load was a 225 Sierra Gameking, over a generous helping of 3031.

Struck right behind the shoulder, he ran about 15 yards, and piled up on the other side of a log pile. The exit wound was impressive, and exceded my expectaions, by a long shot.

That BLR is slick. The trigger could use some work, and the magazine is not that great, but the rifle is a definate keeper. I hope that browning doesn't change anything with this new batch. As for the cartridge, I am more solidly in the 358 camp after seeing this latest performance. Not that I don't love my other children, the 308 has killed more....but never any better. I expect its about the perfect woods cartridge. Sure like those 35s.

Take care fellows.

S.R.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Congrats on the 12-pointer!!! That's incredible, can you post a picture (or two)?

·
Banned
548 Posts
T.A.P -

Thanks for the info. I had a hard time locating one!I think the 358 was once offered in the Rem 7600 pump. I did own that rifle in 35 Whelen for a time, but really wanted the 358. It would be especially good in the 18.5 inch barreled carbine. I'm hoping that the Browning has a 20 inch bbl.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Congratulations Whitehunter35! A magnificiant looking animal, and I hope he eats like he looks.

Kind Regards,
Timberwolf ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts