Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any reloading dies,chambering reamers,brass,anything for this cartridge?Thanks,Jeff.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
flintman,
I don't have any of items you are looking for, but if you don't mind buying new stuff, it shouldn't be hard to find. While not a super common wildcat, there have been quite a few done. I'm sure the major die manufacturers like RCBS, CH4D, etc.. can set you up with the dies. Brass can be made by necking the 35 Whelen brass or 30/06. I think Quality Cartridge even offers properly headstamped brass for this wildcat, but I recently had a case failure in 411 Hawk using this brass, cause has yet to be determined, so I'll hold off judgement of that brand's brass for now.

I would assume that Clymer and other shops have reamers to purchase, and there are few places that will actually rent reamers. The 375/06 (originally called the .38 Whelen?)should be available from those places.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Flintman,
Redding lists dies for the 375 Whelen and 375 Whelen Imp 40 degree. They are both listed in the "custom" column, so you may have to wait a few months, or less, to get them. You would want to make sure you specified, or ordered a seperate, tapered expander button to ease necking the cases up from whatever you decide to use. The 35 Whelen, as Alyeska pointed out, would probably be your best starting point. In the limited reading I have done on this round, the improved version was preferred in order to alleviate potential headspace problems as a result of the small shoulder. There is a website called www.reamerrentals.com where you might want to look and see if they offer the reamers you need for the project. I tried their website today but it was down for some reason.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link!

I may use their work,will have to wait and see AFTER I get my Ruger Bisley in .45 L. Colt!

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Flintman
I have the reloadings dies and the brass. The dies are Redding, look and work beautifully. Making the brass is a snap and seem to last forever.
I'm still using them for my Mark X 375 Whelen.
Jim

·
Registered
98 Posts
CH4D had the best price on dies when I bought mine last winter (.375 whelen AI) $60-70 as I recall. Start with factory .35 Whelen brass. Reamers shouldn't be too hard to find. Neat cartridge though the price of factory .375 bullets will have you looking at casting your own pretty quickly. .35 cal same weight tend to be much cheaper :rolleyes:

Eric

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm a month late on this input, but I bought my 375 Whelen Imp dies directly from RCBS about 4 - 5 years ago. They had them on the shelf ready to ship. I got them in less than a week. You should specify a tapered neck expander to easier form the necks. I use 35 Whelen cases and fire form with the lower cost Speer bullets and fairly high charges of powder. I am interested in using the Beartooth bullets, but am in need of loading data for these cast types. Can I use reduced charges of powders as I use for jacketed bullets? Or am I in a totally different ballpark? Rifle is a Mark X built by McGowen. It is very accurate so far - especially with 300 grn Hornady RN's.

Gene

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use a 375 Whelen IMP. It is a great round, maybe my favorite. I got my dies from RCBS, on the shelf, 1 week. I'd recommend the improved version. I used a 280 ack reamer and neck and throated up to 375. The brass looks great, and it shoots great. I form the brass with a long cast bullet and about 40 grs h-335. I have sub-sonic loads for little critters. My main load is 59 grs surplus 4895 w/ 270 Barnes XLC @ 2485 fps. w/ a 20" barrel. I seat the bullet at the base of the neck. I used 30-06 brass, but the 35 whelen would be easier. I belive the headspace is 1.999" w/ a .410" on the shoulder. Thats what RCBS's dies are set up for. I have a print if anyone needs it.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I use the loading data for 35 Whelen jacketed bullets in my 375 Whelen. My 375 has had several thousand bullets put thru it and none of them were jacketed!
I had this rifle built to be a cast bullet gun, only. I've found that Lyman, RCBS, Saeco and NEI all make wonderfully accurate gas checked bullets for this caliber. I use an alloy of wheel weights sweetened with a bit of tin and quinched at casting.
Give the cast bullets a shot and you'll find there's no reason to spend the money for jacketed bullets.
Jim

·
Registered
161 Posts
I appreciate the info on cast bullets. I will be trying the info given. This is my first venture in cast bullets. I had them in mind when I chose the 375 Whel Imp. I was going to buy a Marlin 45-70 when the standard rifling came out(supposedly preferred for cast bullets). Luckily local dealers couldn't get me one soon enough so I went to the 375.

Thanks, Gene

1 - 10 of 10 Posts