Shooters Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 375-08 does the job again.A nice 6 point bull with a swack of cows showed up near my make shift ground blind.I've seen a number of deer, elk and bear at this location in the past.It is only about a 15 minute walk from my truck.
I killed a 6 pointer here 2 years ago with my 270-08.This time I used my 375-08.
The sun went behind the mountains and I watched the shade crawling up the mountains on the other side of the valley.Once dusk was starting to approach the action started.I heard a cow bark at something a ways away so I new there was some elk in the area.
First a lone cow walked out of the bush.She was cautious at first.A little later a bull bugled a couple of hundred yards back in the thick bush.Then a bunch of cows came running out into a small hay meadow.They came from a different location than the lone cow on a different trail.I think they were all the same heard.
They were getting close to me and I was concerned that one of them might pick up my scent even thou it was dead still.My blind was in the perfect spot.Figuring the bull would appear on the trail all the cows came from I trained my rifle on that trail.I knew I would have to shoot fast as a couple of the cows were feeding close to me.
Sure enough the bull walks to the edge of the bush and stands there looking the situation over.A bull needs 6 points to be legal.I need to be sure but couldn't count the points as he was still standing in the trees.A couple of minutes passed then he walked out in the open,he turned just right.No problem now,6 points on each side plus a small sticker.I was aiming at his heart then he turned to walk and I fired at the center mass of his shoulder when he quartered toward me.Instantly he hit the ground.
That was cool.The cows bunched up wondering what happened then decided it was time to leave.
I crawled under some low branches of a fir tree at my blind that gave me cover and walked over to my downed bull.I think it was about 150 yards.
I took a couple of pictures in the failing light then got busy gutting the bull.By the time I finished I needed my head lamp to make my way to the truck.
One thing I like about hunting by myself is it is all up to me how things come down in the end.I enlisted a friend to give me a hand to get him in the back of my truck the next day.I offered him half the meat but he declined.I will make sure he gets a good feed and some sausage.
Head Elk Plant Deer Wood

Registered
Congratulations on a fine bull 馃憤
What type of rifle is that? Commercial Mauser?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The rifle is a Remington short action SS 20 inch barrel with a 1 1/2 X 6 scope that I painted with rattle cans.The load that I used was a 235 gr. Speer bullet with Reloader 7 powder going 2400 fps.Another load I use is with a 250 gr. Sierra bullet.
There is another thread on here a few years ago with a fairly big moose I took with the same rifle.

Registered
235 at 2400 is a good bit more than a 375 Winchester. I don't think anything walking would do well to be hit with the right bullet from that gun, its very close to some of the medium bore Nitro Express rounds.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I used to use Hornady 225 gr. spire points but I shot them all off and they don't make them now.
I shoot 250 gr. Sierras.They are very accurate and are good on game as well.Interestingly they all go about the same speed with 3031 or Reloader 15.R15 being slightly more accurate.The 235 semi round nose seem to work good on game but not quite as accurate but still good.
I'll try to get some loaded round pictures together soon.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are a couple of 375-08 rounds I shoot.
A Speer 235 gr. Semi Round Nose And the bullet from the elk.It weighs 180 gr.
The other round is a Sierra 250 gr.Spitzer Boattail.
Both bullets are seated to the neck shoulder junction.
Wood Ammunition Wood stain Metal Publication

1 - 12 of 12 Posts