Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

A few members have expressed their thoughts of .375/.308 Wildcat. Years ago, John Dougherty called it the 375 Jaguar.

I am thinking of having a Ruger Target rebored and would love to hear your expreriences, regarding twist rate and load development.

Swamper

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
doubt that such would work, the case diameter is too small.

Try it on a 284 case. 375/284 is a somewhat know wildcat; similiar to the 375-'06 but with a better shoulder area and fits a short action.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
Um, there should be NO problem whatsoever, blowing out a 308 case to hold .375" diameter bullets. It's been done on a 30-'06 case, so why not 308? The case capacity would not change appreciably, from 56 grains of the parent case to perhaps 58 grains, to the mouth.

With that capacity, and the 375 bore diameter, expect powders that work well for cartridges like 35 Remington or 45/70 to perform well in the 375-08. Another way to look at it is the fastest powders listed for 358 Winchester loads would be suitable powders for this particular wildcat. (NOTE! I am not saying you could use load recipes from a 358 Win for a 375-08, only that the faster powders suitable for the 358 would likely make for excellent loads in the 375 version of the 308 cartridge.)

I think it would be a fine cartridge, delivering performance very similar to a 375 JDJ, owing to the higher operating pressure of the 308 case. It would certainly exceed 375 Winchester numbers, likely by 150-200fps. How much better would it be than a 358 Win? Well, when it comes to wildcats, it's probably best to not quibble over numbers! :D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Because of the case taper, the shoulder on a 375/08 would be larger than on a 375/06. Should be a good performer with 220-260 grain bullets.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
more considerations

Hi Swamper,

Look before you leap! If the ammo shortages continue, then disregard this. But you might solve the marginal head spacing by using the 356BB semi rimmed cases. If you play with the extractor, you still may be able to adapt 358 Win. cases into the same chamber.

With the rimless ones, you need to create a larger diameter false shoulder, ( 40 cal.), and with the 356BB, you need a larger bolt face. I always thought that the 358 Win Mag. was the largest practical use of the 308 Win case. With the 356BB, head spacing on it's semi rim, you can go all the way up to 44 caliber.

The downside seems to me to be the time in flight, of the large and heavy bullets. With my 44-356BB and a heavy 316gr. lead slug, time in flight isn't too much of a concern. But I haven't shot at anything running away, either. The other side of this is; you are poaching bullets from much larger cartridges, like a 375 H & H magnum. So you need to stick to lighter bullets and probably a tighter twist, to make up for your lower velocities.

A tighter twist, like a 1 in 10 would also slow down your bullets even more, so that adds to my first concern of too much time in flight to go after a moving target, at 200 yards or so.

You might avoid this, if cases become available again, by going with the 338 Ruger Compact Magnum, opened up to .375 caliber. Then you would have a 30-06G. + capacity, in a short action cartridge, and you could use a standard twist to boot.

But I'm afraid that many of these new super short magnums will not come back on the store shelves, after this panic is over. For one thing, the factories have gotten used to these new higher prices, and will be loathed to go back down. So a 338 RCM case will become very expensive, if and when it is again available.

ATK is shipping 2 million 22RF cartridges per day, seven days a week. They go from the line directly to waiting semi trailers, and 0ut the gate. Their employees can't buy a single round at this level of make it, ship it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Not much info on the 375/284, I like the cartridge, have a 6/284 and love it. Don't see any dies or new brass although Quality may offer it. Wish there was more dope on the round.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
375-284 was designed for the Savage model 99, about the time the rebated 284 came out. i believe that dies are available from RCBS and reamers are also available.

good write up in Gun Digest a few years back with test reprt/reload info.
i'll try to find it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'd like to see that article Harry, please post a link. I'm thinking about putting it on a Rock Island Springfield action. Dies from RCBS are probably $170, ouch.
Dick

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
375-350 Rem Mag.

If you are still really serious, there is the 375 x 350 Rem Mag. to look at. No head space problems, and it will work in a short action, but not a Sav. 99 made for the 284 Win.. The upside is that this one can be re formed from any H&H Magnum casing.

Alternatively, using the 6.5mm Swede would give a round half way between the 51mm long 308, and the 57+mm of the Mausers. The Swede starts out about 0.020 inch larger diameter, and is 55mm long, just like the 350 Rem Mag. and the 284 Win. But expanding the neck that far, would probably shrink the length down to 53-54 mm. The 284 Win. will shrink about the same, expanded to 375, but the 350 Rem. Mag. will be good, as is.

And the 375 x 350 Rem Mag. did have a following some years back. So there should be plenty of reloading data out on the net. Remington looked at making their 600 mag. carbine in this, before they regressed down to the 358 Bore.

So if you can find a couple of hundred 356BB virgin cases, I still think you should look at a 375 x 356BB/358Win. Use the rimless 358's as practice fodder over the bench, and the semi rimmed 356BB's in the field. This will probably require a Sako styled hook extractor in your bolt face. But that's not a bad idea, if you don't have a Mauser claw extractor to begin with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have built a .375-284 and found the cartridge overall length a bit too long for short action bolt rifles.Another thing I didn't like was the rebated rim.This rifle was built on a Sako action and since has been sold.
I now have a .375-08 built on a Remington 700 short action.I much prefer this cartridge in this rifle.It is very accurate and powerful.A great caliber to make your own wildcat with.
Very easy to form.First to .338 then to .375 then trim to length from .308 brass.Lots of that around.
As for bullets I have used a 270 gr. Hornady round nose,a bit heavy to my liking.I don't think they are available any more.
Another Hornady bullet,the 225 gr.sp which performs exellent which I used a lot of but no longer produced either.Too bad.
Another very good bullet in this caliber is the Sierra 250 btsp.Yesterday I loaded another 50 rounds with this bullet.It is very accurate like the 225 but is a bit heavier construction as well.This is now my go to bullet in the .375-08.It performs flawless.
The Speer 235 gr.semi spitzer works well also but does not have that bug hole accuracy I like to have.
I have taken large moose and caribou as well as a Stone sheep,white tail deer,mule deer, bears and elk with the .375-08 and it certainly lays them low.The recoil is not bad for the kind of power this cartridge has.
I have used a variety of powders.Presently Realoder 7 is my favorite.My velocites are around the 2400 fps area or a bit more from a 20" barrel.
Normally I like to call game to me so my shots are fairly close.One thing I do like about this round is you can still shoot 300 yds. if required and the accuracy is there.

·
The Shadow
7,589 Posts
Sounds like a 2013 thread, a missing OP, and a new member who used Google but didn't stay online long enough to notice any dates.... ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes,maybe I should have started a new topic.I am new here and just picked up an old thread to bring it back to life if guys are interested.

·
The Shadow
7,589 Posts
Love to have you around and sharing some posts of your own.
Currently a rash of drive-by posters resurrecting old threads, and you weren't here long this morning.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
Yes,maybe I should have started a new topic.I am new here and just picked up an old thread to bring it back to life if guys are interested.
The new format INVITES folks unfamiliar with the new system to post on very old posts. Ive learned to check the very first post(er) to see a date. But, that's not how other forums are formatted. It's a "click" thing. This particular forum had gotten down to as few as 4-5 new posts a day, not made by moderators. So, here's a new system drawn up to encourage new clicks on older posts. Whatever...

Please stay and understand that NO ONE SHOULD EVER give a new member a bit of grief about posting on a 3, 5, 7, or even a 10yr old post. This forum encourages just that in how they "pop" up subjects.

But, we have folks that seem, somehow, to feel a bit of enjoyment about embarrassing others. Again, please stay and add whatever you feel you can to those of us who understand the very blatant failings of this new format, doing anything they can to gain...."clicks" :rolleyes:

Reactions: jimboro and JBelk

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,320 Posts
It is unfortunate that the forum software seems to be geared toward digging up old posts.... but honestly, how hard is it to LOOK and see if a post is ten years old, the OP had ONE post on the forum, and is clearly long gone? We are in the age where reading comprehension, cognitive reasoning, and the ability to take the tiniest bit of correction, are all at historic lows. In other words, we're in the age of butt-hurt, and this thread pretty well proves that :rolleyes:

Forum traffic is actually a bit up since the new format change (much to my surprise) and there are definitely more than a handful of new posts a day. That's a fact.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I do not believe that a statement like this is appropriate moderation.

"Sounds like a 2013 thread, a missing OP, and a new member who used Google but didn't stay online long enough to notice any dates.... "

That is correcting a new poster with sarcasm and in my opinion is unwarranted. The moderators may disagree with my thoughts, but I know that if I come back at some of the mods with similar comments, I get the long face from them.

I am no angle as I have been a smart donkey pretty much all my life. But that also allows me to spot one right off. Takes one to know one you know.

I suspect that being a mod is a difficult job on a forum like this. I for one would like to see a little softer approach, especially with new posters. Also, have you ever thought of sending them a message directly instead of correcting them publicly. The rest of us have already seen the same tired correction with new spins on the sarcasm.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.