Shooters Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,298 Posts
Careful, we might have to hire you...... then you get to sort out all the "stuff" on the forum. Just sayin'......

·
The Shadow
7,569 Posts
"Sounds like a 2013 thread, a missing OP, and a new member who used Google but didn't stay online long enough to notice any dates.... "

That is correcting a new poster with sarcasm and in my opinion is unwarranted.

Also, have you ever thought of sending them a message directly instead of correcting them publicly.
Note the phrasing? It was intended as a tongue in check response to Jimboro's post.

The softer correction and directly responding to our new member(as you suggested) was done in post #17.

Yes, I have thought and do, send PM's to folks regularly. I have a mountain of explitive laden responses in my PM box from those efforts.

It was not my intent to offend our new member, if he took it as such; then I am sorry for that.

Cheers

·
Registered
432 Posts
MikeG - I don't plan on being hired. I am working 2 jobs (well, one is farming so maybe it should be moved into the hobby category) and 2 hobbies right now.

Darkker - New guys to the forum may not pick up on your tongue in cheek comments. I think it would also help if your identification line showed that you were a moderator of the forum instead of a Shadow. Maybe a Shadow Moderator instead.

I do appreciate the work that you and the other Mods do, and I believe that you are integral to the success of the site. I also can sympathize having been a manager of people. I have a decent idea of what goes on in the background. So sincerely, Thank You for being mods on the site.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought this was a shooting forum not a nattering forum.
Anyways, yesterday I sent 15 rounds down range in my lower field.I have some used bucket teeth,about the size of a gopher set up at 150 yds. on the hillside.They are always fun to knock over as they blend in with the ground so are hard to see.Nice reaction targets.
Also have some railroad tie plates to knock over.I cut one in half then weld another standing upright.Paint a small white bullseye for a finer aiming point.They are also entertaining.
Further out at 285 yds. There is a couple of swinging targets 6" in dia. x 1/2" plate like a pendulum.Hit the upper or lower and they turn and swing.Another is a 4" square that also swings.These are more challenging and good practice from different shooting positions.
With my .375-08 using 250 gr. Sierras sighted in at 200 yds. I'm about an inch high at 150 on the bucket teeth and I need to hold over about 5" to wack the spinners at the 285 mark.
These targets are more fun than paper and keep me tuned in for hunting.

·
The Shadow
7,569 Posts
Very cool!

But you know the old hunting rule, pics or it didn't happen.;)

I have an M77 that needs re-barreled, but I've been so busy at work I haven't gotten around to it yet.
I'd love it if you start a thread and share all the juicy details of what you've done, have, etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nice Bull ! I would like to hear a little more about your rifle build and moose hunt. Always was intrigued with the 338 Federal and a 375/308 seems the next logical step.

·
Registered
555 Posts
So the .358 WCF is just not logical?

j/k. When I lived in Alaska I toyed with the idea of re-boring a .30-06 to the .375-06 but went with the .338-06 due to too-deep sight holes in the factory barrel. The .375-08 sounds like a great choice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nothing wrong with the .358 Win except it is not .375 cal.
I wanted to build a small case capacity .375 and I have a pile of .308 cases.It would be good to use 358 cases to form 375 cases to but I would have to buy them and the once fired 308 cases were given to me.
I suppose the 338 Fed case would also work.
I met a guy that sent me a .375-06 improved case and that was a good looking round but I prefer a short action and being the shoulder is a little bigger on the 308 case I went with that.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
anything with a 308 or '06 is boring!!!!!;)

yes, one day i'll have the 375 whelen or 400 whelen. the 375-08 is interesting tho. i like the 375/30-40(375 krag) or the 375/303 british. i want to build one of them in a 1898 spr armory. (i have three 1898 spr armory actions) one of them is either 35 krag, 35/303 or the 6.5 krag/303. its on the shelf tho. i still have build my son's 93 mauser and then its a 1898 spr armory in 22 hornet. AND THEN i'll either start on spr armory or 95 chilean mauser. all i can say is....i am a gunaholic:devilish: and i don't need no help!!!!! well, sortof. 😂😂😂

Reactions: shawlerbrook

·
Registered
9 Posts
My rifle is a Remington SS short action.I bought the action used even thou I would rather have a chromeolly action in blue.
Next step was find a barrel.I used a barrel that Bevon King built from scratch for me from SS bar stock.He lived in northern B.C. and is no longer with us.I talked with him on the phone about my project.

Bevon asked me to send only the action to him as he liked the idea.Being retired he said it will take him a while to get to it.Once he got the action he bored and rifled the barrel in 1 in 12" twist.He also machined a Remington varmint contour for me 20" long with a 7 degree crown like I wanted.

I sent Bevon 3 cartridges that I formed using a homemade neck expander in .338 and .375 on my lathe.These were dummy rounds that I seated the bullets to the depth I wanted so he could machine the correct freebore.

To my surprise he phones me about 2 weeks later and says your barrelled action is on it's way.I said to him that I haven't even paid him yet.He says to me that I have not shot it yet so I might not be happy with it.

Now because I didn't have dies all I could do was fire one shot from my homemade brass.I then made up some test loads then sighted my rifle in.

The stock is HS Precision Mountain version and the scope is a Tasco 1.5-6 x 30mm tube.The scope is perfect for this pipe and has never failed.The glass is clear and sharp.They don't make this scope any more.Most of the time I shoot it on 3X and use 6X on my range or for a longer shot on game when there is time to dial it up.

After dialing in my scope using 250 gr. Sierra's I took 3 shots at 100 yds. at a playing card ace of clubs which provided a nice fine aiming point.A perfect 3 shot cluster just above center but touching the ace of clubs.I sent this target to Bevon with payment for the work he did and he called me back approveing my target.A super nice guy,very old school.

After contacting Hornady Custom Shop I sent them 3 fired cases and they machined a set of custom.375-08 dies including a tapered neck expander in .338 and .375.

I'll describe the moose hunt later.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I skipped the 358 because it’s not a wildcat and has been around a long time. The 338 Federal is fairly recent and the 375/308 is a wildcat. No overlooking or disrespect to the 358.

·
The Shadow
7,569 Posts
Time for a new thread, no more off tracking the original zombie.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.