Shooters Forum banner

.375 H&H Ackley Improved (.375 Weatherby)

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  moose 
#1 ·
With elk season just around the corner in N. Idaho, and being unable to go on my customary 10 day hunt, due to time constraints and too much work, I'm faced with having perhaps two or three days, spaced apart for this year's elk hunt.

As such, I've got a place not to far from home in mind where shots will be from 275-400 yards (quite the exception in the Idaho Panhandle), where an area was logged early in the spring of 2000.  The grass and forbes are coming in nicely, and the elk are frequenting the area at night and early morning.   I figure to snipe one of the unsuspecting critters from an overlooking ridge to the south of this cut-over section.

Soooo, out comes the artillery piece, out from retirement, and into service once again.   Been playing with the .377"-255g SPGC in this little jewel, and have found that our new lube really shines at 2750+ fps in this rifle.  Still haven't settled on a load, but so far, as I've inched velocities up in increments, the accuracy has held wonderfully at about MOA.  Looking for that 2900 fps mark, don't know if we'll make it with acceptable accuracy, but elk season begins here 10 October, so whatever gets put through it, will have to be quick.

I'm curious, as my whole experience with this 24" barreled rifle has been with cast, if anyone has any really good recipes for jacketed pills that they have found particularly consistent in performance.

Too, any feedback on other cast bullet loads (in the upper velocity ranges) would be interesting as well.

Best to all, and  God Bless,

Marshall

See less See more
#2 ·
I built a 375 H&H Ackley Improved. Like it so much I built two. I haven't tried cast bullets yet.

I shot a white tail buck last year. The load I use was 235 grain Woodleigh over a mild load of H4895, for 2750 fps. I can look up the charge weight if you would like. I should be able to push that bullet to 3000 fps. I saw no need for the extra speed.

I have also got good accuracy with Hornady's 300 grain BTSP at 2750 fps. I used IMR4350 for the 300 grainer. I've been very happy with the accuracy of both my rifles. One is just a factory Remington barrel, that I rechambered.

#3 ·
The 270 Hornady spire point in a standard 375 will ( at least two times in my experience) penatrate from end to end and exit( once, the second elk shot from the back end the bullet stayed in the jaw) . Of course both elk hit the ground on recieving the bullet. Good hunting

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.