Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
A load that has proven MOA in at least three guns I've played with, and has been very effective in harvesting game for me in the past:

Beartooth 377"-255g SPGC/76.5g IMR 4350/WLRP/Win Brass/2645 fps.

Not a top pressure load, but very accurate and plenty potent for N. America!

The .375 H&H is a superb cast bullet cartridge that allows full throttle loads with excellent results.  Stick with the slower burning powders for best results!

God Bless,

Marshall

·
Registered
14 Posts
Elkhunter, You have the same gun i have , I shoot 78grs win. 760 , 300 gr. nosler par. fed. 215 primer this load has shot lots of elk, bear and moose This load shoots 1moa in my gun.The 375 & 340 wea. are my best elk guns. Good hunting,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Marshall, I also have a 375 H&H. Does your 255 gr gas checked bullet expand at all? In your earlier post you said you got 2645 fps. If I were to load it hotter would I get leading problems? What are the pros/cons of shooting a cast bullet over a jacketed bullet?

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Smitty,

Well, you've asked several questions here, I'll try to answer them all.

As for the 2600+ fps out of the .375 H&H, and cast bullets, the 255g SPGC most certainly will and does expand down to an impact velocity of about 2300 fps.  This threshold can be increased by anealing the nose of the bullet, and with our alloy, that nose hardness becomes a BHN 12 which will expand at velocities as low as 900 fps, given the meplat on the .375-255g SPGC bullet.  They are simply stunning in their effectiveness on game!

Concerning the leading problems... top end velocities are entirely dependent upon your bullet fit, bore condition and the pressures you generate trying to reach those top end velocities.   I'm not trying to hedge the issue here, but there are several variables that will affect the velocity threshold at which you experience leading.  Yes, with a good smooth, slick bore, proper bullet fit, and judicious load development, exceeding velocities I have posted is no problem... just use powder with the slowest burning rate possible to reach your desired velocity range.  

Pros and cons of lead vs. jacketed bullets.... hmmm, I think we could start a book here, or start the proverbial Ford vs. Chevy debates at the same time!

In the .375 H&H both bullets have their place.  The jacketed bullets developed for this cartridge do a superb job for their intended purposes, and do it with monotonous predictability... all the time.  Jacketed bullets are the vehicle to employ when seeking to hot-rod the .375 H&H, and when seeking big game performance at extremely long ranges.

Now, for the cast bullets.  Naturally I'm partial to them because of my business.  I like the "no barrel wear" aspect of cast bullets, especially since I love shooting these big boomers.  The cost factor must enter into the equation somewhere, and cast bullets for the .375 are much easier on the pocket-book than jacketed pills.  Finally, I have yet to harvest a big game animal with properly prepared cast bullet loads that ever left me wishing for a different bullet choice.  In fact, most times I am impressed afresh with the stunning efficiency of these bullets in quickly and cleanly harvesting game.  Further, with the SPGC bullet mentioned here, and the bullet's nose anealled, I confidently use the cartridge out to 300 yards on elk sized game, with perfect satisfaction.  

It's a choice, and what makes handloading so rewarding and interesting!

God Bless,

Marshall

1 - 5 of 5 Posts