Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading Fifth Edition,
The section on the 375 H&H magnum mentions data for the 220-225 grain bullets.In this section it gives data for a reduced loads velocity 2000 ft per sec - 2400 ft. per sec.
Powders used SR 4759, H 227 & AA5744.
Have any of you had experience with these loads with reduced velocity?
How has your experience compared to the velocity in the 2500
FPS to 2800 FPS(feet per second)

·
Banned
71 Posts
Reduced loads in the .375 H&H are more practical and fun to shoot for most North American game.

A load which I have used with great satisfaction for eastern deer hunting in the woods is the Ideal #375449 cast no harder than wheelweights, shot without the gascheck, tumbled inLee Liquid Alox and sized .377", using 13-14 grains of PB, Red Dot or SR-7625 shotshell powder. Its ballistics approximate the blackpowder .38-55 Winchester, about 1300 f.p.s. in a 26" barrel and 1200 f.p.s. in a 23".

If the standing bar of your open sights is zeroed for 300-gr. factory loads at 200 yards, this one will shoot on the money at 50 yards with the same sight setting and it is very accurate, capable of one-hole groups at 50 yards and under 1-1/2" with hunting sights at 100. Lots of fun to shoot and a good training load. A friend in South Africa has killed hundreds of head of deer sized plains game from impala and bushbuck to kudu to fill meat contracts for biltong using this load.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ed:
I certainly appreciated your post about shooting cast bullets
in my 375 H&H mag.I don't have a lub Sizer yet but this may be the incetive to get one as I have a 45-70 that I could use it for as well.
Many thanks.
Swifty

·
Banned
71 Posts
You don't need to buy a sizer-luber!

Save your money and just get the Lee sizing die kit. This has a "push-through" style bullet sizer with 7/8-14 thread which you put in your regular reloading press, and a base punch which fits into your shell holder ram. Cost is about $15. Keep the loads below 1400 f.p.s. and save the money by not bothering with gaschecks. Cast the bullets fairly soft, about 10-12 BHN and they will expand some. Very pleasant, accurate and cheap to shoot, effective on deer up to 100 yards and you won't wear out your barrel.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to Ed Harris

Hi Ed:
I just wanted to say thanks for your reply.I may follow your advise on the Lee Sizer kit.However, I found an old Lyman
45 at the local gunshow for $7.00.It appears to be all there but is gummed up with old lube that has hardened over the years. I plan to put the lower part of the lube sizer in the over and set heat on about 175 degrees and see if I can't get the old lube to drain out.If this doesn't work, I will use the Lee kit as you suggested.
Also, I found an old Ideal lube sizer with three dies for $5.00
The dies are not the right size for my use but I may be able to work out a trade with some of the folks in my rifle & pistol club.
Swifty

·
Registered
14 Posts
375 H&H mag-reduced

To clean a lubersizer, I boil them in water. It works great! I did this with an Ideal (1st model) and Lyman (gray) and they look like new. Paint does not come off either. I coated them with Super Lube.

I had the same questions loading lead in my Win. 70,Super Express 375 H&H. Thanks for your answers. I bought the 375 recently because it was a bargain and after reading several posts, I think it will stay in my humble collection.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts