Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if any of you guys hunt elk w/ the 375 H&H or the newer 375 Ruger?

I have one buddy who has hunted w/ a 375 H&H for years and takes more elk than his share. He claims they don't go far after they're hit. He hunts alone, so all we see is the downed elk before we help him pack out.

Those Ruger Hawkeyes in 375 Ruger are starting to turn my head, but they seem a bit much for elk. Definetly the item for big bears, but we can't hunt them around here.

Anyway...just curious.

·
Banned
442 Posts
A study done years ago by government hunters whos job it was to cull elk, tried an experiment. They used a 375 H&H with 300 grn Win Silvertip ammo and a 30-06 using 220 grain Win Silvertip ammo. They shot equal numbers of elk with each, placing the bullets in the same area at the same distances. Their conclusion was there was very little difference in number of shots per animal and distance animal traveled after shot, and time between shot and the elk died. The moose harvest in Norway has a game warden go with the hunter and the same type of survey is done. Most moose were shot with 6.5x55, 30-06, and 375 H&H. Thier conclusions mirrored ours. In fact the last time I checked the 6.5x55 had a fewer shots and shorter distance traveled than did the 375. I am a great fan of the 375 having hunted with one exclusivelly for 3 years and taking elk, deer antelope, and coyotes with it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, I acknowledge that the Ruger beats the H&H velocity wise. But at the end of the day, they are really like 2 well matched Book Ends. I have a good friend who is an avid hunter and owns both. The Ruger turned his head after he already had the H&H. Very nice rifles, those 375 Rugers. Really, what one will do the other will do equally. The only "plus" if you want to call it that, is the Ruger fit's into a standard Long Action. The H&H requires a Magnum action or non repeater. I guess you could also say "lack of a magnum belt", but that is moot really. The H&H is long long proven reliable.

What it amounts to, what do you like when you look at and handle the respective rifles? I admit I LIKE the 375 Ruger Safari model.

Good Hunting,
Gary
P.S. As for the calibers for elk? Yes, there are MANY MANY out there that way more than get it done. Here is one that is food for thought however: 338 Federal. If you reload for it, use IMR 8208XBR and either the 185gr Barnes TTSX, or Hornady 200gr Interlock and it will just HAMMER most any thing you point it at up to around 150 yards or so. All in a Short Action Rifle! Non Magnum, so long long barrel life, and very little sore shoulder. Very efficient round too!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I guys, I shot a 375 H & H for over 10 years. Shot every game animal in Sask. with just one weight of bullet 235 gr. speers over 4895 powder.
I shot half a dozen elk and only one went any distance most it was bang flop.

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Can't say you'd ever need that much... too many people try to justify having a bigger gun allows them to take more questionable shots. Anyway, you can kill anything on the planet with the 375 or 416 Ruger.

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea...I got more dang elk rifles than I can care for and feed. A bunch of 30's and 35's, so I need a new elk rifle like I need a larger caliber hole in my head.

The Ruger Hawkeye's are impressive with the express sights. I had hoped Ruger would downsize their 375 Ruger into a 358 Ruger in the same package, but they went with the 338 RCM instead.

I see a used 375 Ruger locally for a very good price, so it's tempting me. But, I suspect they'll be plenty more used ones on the market as they get to be less "new". Price should come down, too, by the time I decide to head north for a big brown bear hunt.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Lever, the .375 Ruger is a great cartridge, and recoil on the Alaskans is not bad at all with the Hogue stock. But as Matt said, it would work great for Elk indeed, but is way more than needed. But heck, I'd do it :)

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,522 Posts
The 375 Ruger does look to have more of everything. It would be nice to see it chambered in say a 700CDL:D

RJ

·
Banned
131 Posts
If your interested in long range work at all the 270gr TSX's will exit the barrel around 2800fps, they have a BC of around .5 I think. I have only taken a moose with my .375 H&H using factory Federal Gold 300gr Nosler Partitions. The moose maybe took a step, more like a flop. If you get a .375 H&H you will have one of those all around rifles. Nice light bullets for medium sized game, heavier bullets for big game and solids for dangerous game.

A side note though: If you shoot a deer in the shoulder and try to destroy the shoulder blades anywhere inside of say 350 yards it has more energy than a .30-06 at the muzzle with a 180gr pill. And thats with a 270gr TSX.

·
Registered
5,318 Posts
I always wonder about this.

I shot my first elk with a 7mm Rem. Mag. I loaded up some 160gr Nosler partitions, and headed west. When I managed a shot at a 4 X 5 CO bull at about 150yds, I unloaded the rifle on the bull, and was shocked when he didn't crash like a 120lb whitetail. All three shots were right through the lungs.

Well, I went for a M70 in .375 H&H. It was a tack driver by any standard, and shot Hornady 270gr BTSP's over 76gr of W760 just as well as the 7RM. It did not drop a 5 X 5 any better than the 7RM, it was 2lbs heavier, and kicked to kill.

I swapped it on a Whelen. It weighs less than the 7RM or .375, and works as well as either. The only elk I've seen shot that dropped with one shot, was a medium size bull my buddy shot with a .257 Weatherby. ???

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
But, but, but...it's such a great looking rifle!

:confused:

BTW, my last one shot elk kill was with a 30-06...180 grain factory load. My second shot missed, but the beast died anyway.

The only real advantage w/ the 375 Ruger over most other elk rounds is that you get heavy bullets and flat trajectory. A 358 STA or possibly a 358 Norma mag would do the same. I'd still need new dies, brass, et al.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not a 375 Ruger, but the necked-up 375, the 416 Ruger. Interesting round, compact and non-belted, and works in a standard length action. Equals the ballistics of the 416 Remington and the 416 Rigby, a 400gr bullet at 2400fps.

Good results with my SAKO 416 Remington magnum on elk, a one-shot killer. The Ruger should also be a one-shot deal.

Nice rifle, short and light weight. Here it is with a Leupold 3x9 Ultra-light scope. :cool:

My SAKO 416 Remington mag.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
i havent had a bang flop with any of the elk i have shot, but one cow went ten feet from a double lung shot at a distance of 10 yards, using 210-215 grain what i believe were federal premium? anyway, bullet stopped on off hide, without having hit any bone, needless to say i stepped up in bullet weight (i was 15-16 at the time i shot the elk, i was using the lighter bullets for recoil reasons)

The last elk i shot, a spike, i was using 225 gr nos partitions which performed really well, giving me a full pass through on a base of the tail shot, after an initial liver/one lung first shot ( another full pass through)

I think the .375 ruger/H&H (either one) makes for a fine elk cartridge, though i havent used one, but more frontal area, and more bullet weight is never a bad thing with these animals. Dont think i would ever use anything over .35 cal for elk though, no need to get into that type of recoil category, not for me atleast. Might be the perfect brown bear gun?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Not a 375 Ruger, but the necked-up 375, the 416 Ruger. Interesting round, compact and non-belted, and works in a standard length action. Equals the ballistics of the 416 Remington and the 416 Rigby, a 400gr bullet at 2400fps.

Good results with my SAKO 416 Remington magnum on elk, a one-shot killer. The Ruger should also be a one-shot deal.

Nice rifle, short and light weight. Here it is with a Leupold 3x9 Ultra-light scope. :cool:

My SAKO 416 Remington mag.

Those are bolt action shotguns!!:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts